Scotty’s at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scotty is after the clicks on his channel. The more clicks he gets, the more money he makes. Notice, almost everyday he has a video. Most of his videos are just plain nonsense.

Exactly, it's quantity over quality. It's just rubbish content.

This board is littered with folks that get all confused between "good enough" and "better". Some convince themselves that just because most any oil is "good enough", that there are no better oils. This can't be true from a technical nor probability standpoint. Throw 5 oil formulas together with random bases and additives and one will be better than the rest out of pure coincidence. Factor in money spent on R&D, company philosophies, management styles, target market, etc and you do indeed have "better" oils.

I'm not saying us internet geniuses will ever know which ones are better for any given scenario, but there will be differences, which means there will be better, not so great, good enough, etc. I'm not saying the differences are big enough to matter either, although science would say that the more miles you rack up, the bigger a difference it makes. All we can do is look at the PDS and decide what parts of the marketing we want to give credence to, and maybe discuss how one oil is quieter than another. Is it the brand? HTHS? Noack? Good luck!

Changing oil with an appropriate interval with an oil that meets the engine spec's is all that is needed.
I'd say that in general that is kind of true. However, plenty of stuck piston ring Toyota engines, failed timing/balancer chain BMW, GM, Ford, VW and entire engine failures from Hyundai/Kia say otherwise. Not to mention non-failure related problems like improper cam timing due to chain/guide wear.

It's very clear that today's vehicles are exceedingly expensive. Why add the very, very real risk of a $4500 timing chain job before 100K miles by continuing to circulate fuel diluted 0W-whatever, oil changed at 12,000 mile intervals? Or the risk of those low tension piston rings wearing just enough to not seal anymore, cough, cough, Toyota Prius.

Just ran into a Scotty Kilmer short video on YouTube. He is trying to convince people that as long as the ratings in the bottle is up to spec, in the case O’Reilly vs Castrol GTX, you are just wasting money on the more expensive oil. There is no context, like an old beater that burns a quart of oil a week, or your new Porsche 718 Cayman sports car.
Needless to say, the comment section is not agreeable with his video.
Do you think that he just trying to stir up attention for YouTube payday, or do you think that he really doesn’t know that most oil is blended differently and performs different from one another?
He’s not wrong. If it meets the required spec for the vehicle, it’s as good as anything else. These days your beater probably has better oil than the people buying Porsches that really can’t afford them. I see newer Porsches with Dayton tires at Jiffy Lube getting the coupon special oil change.

What Scotty said is correct.
Not trying to defend him.

I use Supertech which is WM brand and the car/truck have not blown up yet.
So what is the different between Supertech and OReilly brand if it meets the spec?
Will it affect the longevity of the engine? Nobody knows since most of us probably never do a failure analysis by opening the engine and measure the internal moving parts.

The topic is meeting the spec, not the longevity of oil, shear-ability, VII, etc.

Now, it is up to the user what to buy.
FWIW, sometimes the part store brand is not cheaper than the popular famous brand.
He probably does not mention that in the video.
Some user may want to do Extended OCI, so obviously at this point there are differences but the spec is still the same and it meets the spec.

Now, there are some store off brand out there that is not meeting the spec and still labeled to meet the spec.
That is not what he is talking about, though.

I had to block this guy on YouTube, since I watch a lot of car related videos and clicked on a few of his posted here, YouTube seemed to think all I wanted to watch was Scotty. I don't find him entertaining and he isn't a source of any reliable information.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

since I watch a lot of car related videos and clicked on a few of his posted here, YouTube seemed to think all I wanted to watch was Scotty.
I watch a decent number of car / repair videos as well and every so often they'll recommend his to me but if you don't watch them, they usually fall away.

It looks like quality content to me 🤣
I recall one where he put brake fluid in a fuel tank and ran or tried to run the car.

He’s not wrong. If it meets the required spec for the vehicle, it’s as good as anything else. These days your beater probably has better oil than the people buying Porsches that really can’t afford them. I see newer Porsches with Dayton tires at Jiffy Lube getting the coupon special oil change.
We don't know if it's as good as anything else. All we know is it meets the specs like anything else.

I recall one where he put brake fluid in a fuel tank and ran or tried to run the car.
Well, entertainment value only goes so far before stupidity takes over.

We don't know if it's as good as anything else. All we know is it meets the specs like anything else.
It meets minimum specifications. A company like ExxonMobil strives to give its customers something extra in the form of a Premium Product. Not everyone bothers to read their PDS and MSDS documents, or most consumers don't even know what they are or how to look them up, however, they know Mobil 1 by reputation.

Hate to burst a bubble, but he is 100% correct.

If your car calls for SP rated oil, and makes no mention of any other required certifications, then the cheapest SP rated oil is just fine.

If you car calls for Chrysler MS6395 rated oil, then find one on the shelf that’s meets that spec. It’s really that simple.

If your car calls for SP rated oil, and makes no mention of any other required certifications, then the cheapest SP rated oil is just fine.

If you car calls for Chrysler MS6395 rated oil, then find one on the shelf that’s meets that spec. It’s really that simple.
Then hanging around here is more than likely pointless.

Just ran into a Scotty Kilmer short video on YouTube. He is trying to convince people that as long as the ratings in the bottle is up to spec, in the case O’Reilly vs Castrol GTX, you are just wasting money on the more expensive oil. There is no context, like an old beater that burns a quart of oil a week, or your new Porsche 718 Cayman sports car.
Needless to say, the comment section is not agreeable with his video.
Do you think that he just trying to stir up attention for YouTube payday, or do you think that he really doesn’t know that most oil is blended differently and performs different from one another?

He's clickbait.

You could also get an oil that exceeds them.. this is why cars don't explode when your API SG spec'd engine gets some API SP oil.

Of course an oil can be better than another one, Scotty Kilmer is an idiot and everyone has their own "favorite" I'm liking High Performance Lubricants products these days.

If it was another product, criticism would be polite but Scotty Kilmer has been screaming at the camera for a long time, he has a cult like following.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back