Scotty’s at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because it says it meets the specs on the label I would still trust something from a major auto parts store or Walmart over the really off brand stuff in a dollar store. So just as there are differences between a Porsche and a mini van there are differences between Autozone store brand and the dollar store brands.

Scotty Kilmer? Didn't he quit or get forced to stop making videos, or was that just more click-bait video titles? Seems he's been on the verge of quitting for the past couple years.

That's a click-baity title you'll see from him every so often.

"This is it for me on YouTube!". "Why I'm going to get banned". "This may be my last post"

Honestly, not everything he says is wrong and he does occasionally have some useful tips, but he also seems to occasionally take a controversial position apparently to drive clicks and he's very frequently guilty of putting click-baity titles on his videos that have nothing to do with the actual contents of the video. I still get his stuff showing up in my feed but the click bait titles have turned me off and I don't find myself watching much from him anymore.

Watched SK a couple times years ago for entertainment. Then stopped when he was posting junk clickbait and just ringing the cash register to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars.
It was too hard to mine the gold from the slurry. And, personally I don't care about his opinion of motor oil.

to the OP's query. He is correct on face value. Then I choose from those appropriate oils the one I "think or feel" perform best.
One could easily argue and tear down my "method of choice" faster and easier than what SK had stated.
- Ken

Don't know about wealthy
I don't follow him or watch his videos but I'm fairly certain he has quite a following on YT. All of YT's factors combined, he probably lives off of the income from there. You can make substantial money. Not saying someone like EricTheCarGuy is super wealthy, but he doesn't work anymore. He has a shop but it's not open, it's only for his own use and for making his videos.

The funniest part is people complain about him, watch his videos to see what to criticize, and he's laughing all the way to the bank.

Or "I'm done with YouTube."

He's the Linus Tech Tips of the automotive world. No, that guy's videos aren't very informative either.

"This is it for me on YouTube!". "Why I'm going to get banned". "This may be my last post"

Honestly, not everything he says is wrong and he does occasionally have some useful tips, but he also seems to occasionally take a controversial position apparently to drive clicks and he's very frequently guilty of putting click-baity titles on his videos that have nothing to do with the actual contents of the video. I still get his stuff showing up in my feed but the click bait titles have turned me off and I don't find myself watching much from him anymore.
LOL Adding the word "BANNED" will get more attention than legit information ever will. People love that $hit!

Chuckling along with....whomever is time honored entertainment.
The sad part is that the caliber of conversation has been spiraling downward.
Fred Allen (old radio) or the banter heard during "What's My Line" episodes (old TV) had ratings as the regulating force.
Today there are many more "outlets".
Today, sensationalism, cheap sex, cheap politics and iconoclastic garbage can be monetized. That's another problem.
Also, lies and inconsistencies aren't called out.
That a Scotty has viewers points to many folk literally having too much time on their hands.

Chuckling along with....whomever is time honored entertainment.
The sad part is that the caliber of conversation has been spiraling downward.
Fred Allen (old radio) or the banter heard during "What's My Line" episodes (old TV) had ratings as the regulating force.
Today there are many more "outlets".
Today, sensationalism, cheap sex, cheap politics and iconoclastic garbage can be monetized. That's another problem.
Also, lies and inconsistencies aren't called out.
That a Scotty has viewers points to many folk literally having too much time on their hands.
That's a VERY GOOD point......

There's a guy that has a YT car channel that lives by me. The man is a major BS'er and knows very little about cars yet he makes enough off his videos to drive a Ferrari and the wife has a Ford Raptor. BTW he an ex Ford dealership salesman. It just proves there are some very gullible people who watch YT videos all day long.

Love him or hate him Scotty does put out some interesting videos. Not everyone knows the basics about their cars or trucks. Scotty can help people get through the Fog of advertising and keep people from buying problem vehicles. Like he says about BMW and Mercedes, great cars as long as you get rid of them by 100K miles. After that they can become glorified money pits to keep them running. Heard the same thing from a couple Volvo techs about the newer front wheel drive Volvo's back in the early 2000's. These newer vehicles will not last 250K miles like the old 240, 700, and 900 series cars without the owner dumping a lot of money into maintenance and repairs.

There's a guy that has a YT car channel that lives by me. The man is a major BS'er and knows very little about cars yet he makes enough off his videos to drive a Ferrari and the wife has a Ford Raptor. BTW he an ex Ford dealership salesman. It just proves there are some very gullible people who watch YT videos all day long.
That's AutoVlog, the Swedish guy. He started with his leased Fusion that he had while he was a car salesman and did things like "what happens when you put it in reverse at highway speeds" or "how far can you drive when distance-to-empty reaches 0". He quickly jumped to the "Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 blah blah blah" (he called it by that full name every time instead of just "C63"), then a Ferrari, etc, etc. He spent big bucks on enhancements too, like ceramic coating (thousands of dollars). All from YouTube money.... His head started getting too big once he got the AMG and after the Ferrari, I bailed (I was a subscriber to his channel).

Like he says about BMW and Mercedes, great cars as long as you get rid of them by 100K miles.

If you take care of your vehicle and adhere to a maintenance schedule, it won't become a money pit. That's a myth, B.S., that's become glorified over the years to the point it's now Gospel.

Unfortunately, most people performing maintenance on their vehicle means filling up the tank, occasionally dragging it through the car wash, and once in a while topping off the windshield washer fluid, that is, if they can find the correct reservoir and don't fill up the coolant tank.

When these folks take their vehicle in for an oil change at the local quickie lube, they pad themselves on the back because they provided their ride with a real treat.

Judging by how few people use their blinkers correctly, I doubt most of them ever bother to check their blinker-fluid level. /s

So, back to the German rides, they're like all other cars. They need a bit more work, and more attention has to be paid to who you let work on them. However, most people can't afford or don't care to maintain them properly. Then they turn around and complain that they're garbage vehicles. Well, not exactly. However, not everything is built cheap and with minimal complexity like a naturally aspirated Honda Civic. Oh, and as soon as they got turbo-charged engines, people started getting into trouble with them. It's not the brand of the vehicle or its size but how you use it and how you care for it that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Love him or hate him Scotty does put out some interesting videos. Not everyone knows the basics about their cars or trucks. Scotty can help people get through the Fog of advertising and keep people from buying problem vehicles. Like he says about BMW and Mercedes, great cars as long as you get rid of them by 100K miles. After that they can become glorified money pits to keep them running. Heard the same thing from a couple Volvo techs about the newer front wheel drive Volvo's back in the early 2000's. These newer vehicles will not last 250K miles like the old 240, 700, and 900 series cars without the owner dumping a lot of money into maintenance and repairs.
Nothing you just stated that Scotty has mentioned in his videos is groundbreaking revelation. Let me know if you come across anything "ground breaking" and I might watch one.

I had to block this guy on YouTube, since I watch a lot of car related videos and clicked on a few of his posted here, YouTube seemed to think all I wanted to watch was Scotty. I don't find him entertaining and he isn't a source of any reliable information.

I believe that's entirely the purpose of these specifications. The higher end European Specs, or even Dexos G2 spec oils aren't going to be cheap conventionals. Also, the boutique oils aren't what everyone thinks they are.

I think I might finally agree with scotty on something.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I imagine if a bag of cocaine could speak it would sound like Scotty. But in this case, he's not wrong.

I had to block this guy on YouTube, since I watch a lot of car related videos and clicked on a few of his posted here, YouTube seemed to think all I wanted to watch was Scotty. I don't find him entertaining and he isn't a source of any reliable information.
Unfortunately, that happens with any topic and "creator." If he uploads videos consistently and in large quantities, YouTube will recommend his channel over all others. The YouTube algorithm cannot differentiate quality content from crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back