Is it safe to mix 0W20 and 5W30 in 75/25 proportion of the same oil brand and type?

mix away but wouldn’t waste my time going forward in future oil changes. Like others said you could comfortably use 0w20-5w30

Because manufacturer recommends 0W20 in all weather and mileage.
Read the owners manual for that same car, with the same engine, in other countries. Honda "recommends" everything from 0W-20 to 10W-40 elsewhere. Don't think "it's a different engine for the US" - it's not. Now, if you're in a climate that gets cold (below 0º F), I wouldn't run 10W-anything but 5W-XX will be fine, especially during non-winter periods.

It's not too much. Your engine can handle 20W-50 without concerns - other than a slight drop in mpg.
Mixing is safe, but the resulting goo won't necessarily be better than the original components.
Well yes but it would be a dog. Ran 15W50 once in my 97 Civic…it was a bit sluggish, lol.

Hi All, I would appreciate an advice here. I am thinking of trying this Valvoline Restore & Protect motor oil in my Honda Accord 2012 4 cyl with 200K mi for the benefits described in this video by Lake Speed, Jr. on YouTube. Honda recommends 0w20 for all year round in my Honda Accord according to the manual. However, the kinematic viscosity at 100C of this Valvoline Restore & Protect 0W20 oil is a bit on the lower side for my engine - it has 8.4 according to Valvoline PDS. I used Valvoline Extended Protection 8.4 oils in the past and the engine performed quite noisier than with oils of higher visc@100C coefficient. In order to raise kinematic viscosity coefficient at operating temperature, I am thinking to mix Valvoline Restore & Protect oil where I use 75% of 0W20 with 8.4 and 25% of 5W30 with 10.8 visc@100C. Again, both 0W20 and 5W30 will be Valvoline Restore & Protect, just different viscosities.This will provide me with roughly 9.0 visc@100C that is better viscosity number for my engine. It's just putting 5W30 by itself with 10.8 is too much that's why I am considering to go for a 75/25 mix.Please share you insight regarding this. Much appreciated your take on that.
Yes

"Run Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 in that engine. It will last much longer, trust me on that. I have owned several of those 2.4L GDI engines and always used oil with an HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) viscosity of 3.5 or higher. These engines have a dual oil pump, which is part of the balance shaft assembly, so they have no issue moving oil around. What they lack are decent rod bearings. The rod bearings are too narrow to handle the pressure inside the cylinder when under load. The best thing you can do is run a higher HTHS motor oil in it.
But the formulation changed drastically with the dual rating of API- SP.

I would doubt it's the same darling oil. Xom has "trashed" my favs** in the past with cost saving re-forms so I feel slighted.

But the formulation changed drastically with the dual rating of API- SP.

I would doubt it's the same darling oil. Xom has "trashed" my favs** in the past with cost saving re-forms so I feel slighted.
Mobil replaced POE with AN in the FS 0W-40 formulation. By doing so, oxidative thickening and overall oxidation were lowered. Considering that Mobil manufactures both AN and POE, along with PAO, and their deal with Shell for GTL, I don't see any cost-cutting here.

Mobil replaced POE with AN in the FS 0W-40 formulation. By doing so, oxidative thickening and overall oxidation were lowered. Considering that Mobil manufactures both AN and POE, along with PAO, and their deal with Shell for GTL, I don't see any cost-cutting here.
I didn't mention FS as cost cutting - it was the add package change with SP.

What do you objectively expect going up .6 cSt within the same grade to do?
0.6 cSt might seem not much but it actually is. I like how it works and sound with Pennzoil UP at 8.8 cSt. But with those oils of 8.1 - 8.3 the valve train sounds much noisier. Putting 8.8 and sounds goes away. Too thin is just a wrong oil for this particular engine. Furthermore, with heat, time and added gasoline it thinners down to even lower viscosity.

But was it trashed? And how?
I did not mention M1 0W40 was "trashed", obviously the overbase package was changed to an LSPI friendly Ca/Mg.

This lubricant is on many high specification Euro Approval lists. That speaks for itself.

I had thought I saw a few VOA showing lowered Phos but I can't locate them now.
I do not use the lubricant, have in the past ( previous formulation) for viscosity tailoring with good result.

Below are a couple VOA.
(Note also the ESP X3 in the RH columns. Looks like an excellent - maybe preferred - Non-LL lubricant)

Last edited:
Hi All, I would appreciate an advice here. I am thinking of trying this Valvoline Restore & Protect motor oil in my Honda Accord 2012 4 cyl with 200K mi for the benefits described in this video by Lake Speed, Jr. on YouTube. Honda recommends 0w20 for all year round in my Honda Accord according to the manual. However, the kinematic viscosity at 100C of this Valvoline Restore & Protect 0W20 oil is a bit on the lower side for my engine - it has 8.4 according to Valvoline PDS. I used Valvoline Extended Protection 8.4 oils in the past and the engine performed quite noisier than with oils of higher visc@100C coefficient. In order to raise kinematic viscosity coefficient at operating temperature, I am thinking to mix Valvoline Restore & Protect oil where I use 75% of 0W20 with 8.4 and 25% of 5W30 with 10.8 visc@100C. Again, both 0W20 and 5W30 will be Valvoline Restore & Protect, just different viscosities.This will provide me with roughly 9.0 visc@100C that is better viscosity number for my engine. It's just putting 5W30 by itself with 10.8 is too much that's why I am considering to go for a 75/25 mix.Please share you insight regarding this. Much appreciated your take on that.
I run M1 0/40 all day everyday, no issues. Euro manual suggest it, says 0/20 for best mpg, other than that, run what you want.

Because manufacturer recommends 0W20 in all weather and mileage. Also, Honda Genuine 0W20 motor oil comes in 8.6 KV100C.
Do you think 8.4 and 8.6 is statistically significant? Each time you do a VOA oil will not get the same results. It will fall within a range. That is why grades of oil fall within a range.

Keep it simple. Unless it’s burning oil, use whatever grade is on the oil fill cap, straight.

If it’s burning oil, I would go up one grade.
This....is exactly what I do - especially for our Subie OB 0W20 > 5W30.

Plus, since I do not live in Alaska or North Pole, I don't even bother with xW label as I just buy whatever is on sale / cheaper.

Back