Is it safe to mix 0W20 and 5W30 in 75/25 proportion of the same oil brand and type?

Hi All, I would appreciate an advice here. I am thinking of trying this Valvoline Restore & Protect motor oil in my Honda Accord 2012 4 cyl with 200K mi for the benefits described in this video by Lake Speed, Jr. on YouTube. Honda recommends 0w20 for all year round in my Honda Accord according to the manual. However, the kinematic viscosity at 100C of this Valvoline Restore & Protect 0W20 oil is a bit on the lower side for my engine - it has 8.4 according to Valvoline PDS. I used Valvoline Extended Protection 8.4 oils in the past and the engine performed quite noisier than with oils of higher visc@100C coefficient. In order to raise kinematic viscosity coefficient at operating temperature, I am thinking to mix Valvoline Restore & Protect oil where I use 75% of 0W20 with 8.4 and 25% of 5W30 with 10.8 visc@100C. Again, both 0W20 and 5W30 will be Valvoline Restore & Protect, just different viscosities.This will provide me with roughly 9.0 visc@100C that is better viscosity number for my engine. It's just putting 5W30 by itself with 10.8 is too much that's why I am considering to go for a 75/25 mix.Please share you insight regarding this. Much appreciated your take on that.
Yes.

Noise is usually bad, quiet is good just run the 5w-30.
Started running 5w-30 in my wife's 40,000mi old 2018 Hyundai sonata that's supposed to run 5w-20. It like it, with 5w-30 it doesn't sound as much like a diesel and it appears to be getting better mpgs.

"Is it safe to mix..."

Only into an approved container and in an open, well ventilated area. Be sure to wear your Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including hardhat, safety glasses, and gloves. It's best to have a spill kit nearby. Keep pets and children at a safe distance. And tell no one what you are doing. No one. You'll probably be fine.

😉

Noise is usually bad, quiet is good just run the 5w-30.
Started running 5w-30 in my wife's 40,000mi old 2018 Hyundai sonata that's supposed to run 5w-20. It like it, with 5w-30 it doesn't sound as much like a diesel and it appears to be getting better mpgs.
"Run Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 in that engine. It will last much longer, trust me on that. I have owned several of those 2.4L GDI engines and always used oil with an HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) viscosity of 3.5 or higher. These engines have a dual oil pump, which is part of the balance shaft assembly, so they have no issue moving oil around. What they lack are decent rod bearings. The rod bearings are too narrow to handle the pressure inside the cylinder when under load. The best thing you can do is run a higher HTHS motor oil in it.

"Run Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 in that engine. It will last much longer, trust me on that. I have owned several of those 2.4L GDI engines and always used oil with an HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) viscosity of 3.5 or higher. These engines have a dual oil pump, which is part of the balance shaft assembly, so they have no issue moving oil around. What they lack are decent rod bearings. The rod bearings are too narrow to handle the pressure inside the cylinder when under load. The best thing you can do is run a higher HTHS motor oil in it.
Yeah oil tests already show the engines got something going on inside it that shears the oil viscosity down.
I was putting about 4.25 quarts of 5w-20 and adding several ounces at a time of 20w-50 over the duration of the oil change.
Switched to 5w-30 last oil change 900 miles ago and it seems to really like it.
I should have switched 35,000 miles ago.

Because manufacturer recommends 0W20 in all weather and mileage. Also, Honda Genuine 0W20 motor oil comes in 8.6 KV100C.
Mobil 1 EP HM 5W-30 is blended using a D1G3 add pack, PAO, mPAO, GTL, and AN. If you want a good oil that stands up to heat and fuel dilution, without going to a Euro blend, then this is it.

Back