help me pick a HPL Oil

BrendanC

$100 site donor 2024
hello, i have a 2002 silverado 2500hd with a LQ4 6.0l with a mild high lift truck cam (212/218 110LSA .600/.600” lift). its lifted 10”, on 35x15.5r22’s and 4.88 gears. scales at 8600lbs and is daily driven. going down the highway at 75 nets almost 3000rpm.

the wife drives a 2003 honda accord 2.4l k24. she commutes 70 miles daily for work.

silverado is at 233k miles and accord is at 170k miles

we live in houston so summer time is very hot while winters are very mild. both vehicles get warmed up until the temperature gauge comes off of the lower stop prior to driving very mild until at operating temperature.

both vehicles were flushed with BG EPR at the last oil change and have a quart of HPL EC 30/40 (accord/silverado) in them currently and plan to run both of them for 5k miles with a filter change at 2500miles. the accord has 4 quarts of valvoline restore and protect with the EC30 and the silverado has 5 quarts of PUP 5w-30 with EC40.

I am after the absolute best in protection and from what i’ve gathered i would be looking at either the premium euro or super car 5w-30 or 5-40. ive reached out to HPL but thought id get some other opinions.

(im sorry for the lengthy post, my brain is everywhere)

Attachments

• 69853524197__DC2BBA0B-62F7-41AF-9D46-B7457908A78D.jpeg
    69853524197__DC2BBA0B-62F7-41AF-9D46-B7457908A78D.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4646.jpeg
    IMG_4646.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 62
I know HPL is a sponsor on here, and they probably have great products... but I don't know if I'd spend that $$$ on an LS or K24. Probably would just run Rotella T6 5W-40 or even T4 15W-40.
they may not be what people see to be luxury, but as a mechanical engineer that was previously a diesel mechanic to fleet mechanic, i know what i want to drive and maintain. these vehicles are the shining jewels in cheap and reliable. i maintained 80+ chevrolet vehicles ranging from 4.8 to 6.0’s and into the 5.3 and 6.6 LT motors. millions of trouble free miles running mobil 1, valvoline and PUP 5w-30 across the board. in my time, there was one engine failure due to an operator running a ly6 on no oil due to a cooler line leak and not bringing it in for its 6k service. every vehicle is GPS and OBDII logged now and get oil/filter changes at 6k, air filters at 12k (heavy industrial service, dusty conditions) belts and pulleys at 50k and tranny pan drop, filter and refill at 75k.

they may not be what people see to be luxury, but as a mechanical engineer that was previously a diesel mechanic to fleet mechanic, i know what i want to drive and maintain. these vehicles are the shining jewels in cheap and reliable. i maintained 80+ chevrolet vehicles ranging from 4.8 to 6.0’s and into the 5.3 and 6.6 LT motors. millions of trouble free miles running mobil 1, valvoline and PUP 5w-30 across the board. in my time, there was one engine failure due to an operator running a ly6 on no oil due to a cooler line leak and not bringing it in for its 6k service. every vehicle is GPS and OBDII logged now and get oil/filter changes at 6k, air filters at 12k (heavy industrial service, dusty conditions) belts and pulleys at 50k and tranny pan drop, filter and refill at 75k.
All I drive and what I prefer is LSx powered vehicles.

You get to a point where the “juice isn’t worth the squeeze” so to speak. Is an LM7/LQ4/LQ9/etc. going to not make it past 300, 400, 500k because you didn’t run a top dollar boutique oil? No. Unless you’re doing intervals upon intervals of analysis and testing and proving wear trends downward… is it worth it? Perhaps it is to you.

I’m saying consider alternatives as LS and K24 (of that vintage) are not that hard on oil.

All I drive and what I prefer is LSx powered vehicles.

You get to a point where the “juice isn’t worth the squeeze” so to speak. Is an LM7/LQ4/LQ9/etc. going to not make it past 300, 400, 500k because you didn’t run a top dollar boutique oil? No. Unless you’re doing intervals upon intervals of analysis and testing and proving wear trends downward… is it worth it? Perhaps it is to you.

I’m saying consider alternatives as LS and K24 (of that vintage) are not that hard on oil.
i appreciate your opinion, but this thread was started on asking which HPL oil to run, not which rotella to run.

I make no secret about it, in hot climates, adequate viscosity is important. I'd consider the No VII 10W-30 Euro in addition to your choices. No risk of shear, plenty of HTHS (almost 3.7) for righteous high temperature protection.
pardon my ignorance, what would the difference be between the premium Euro vs no VII euro?

also, do you think the thick 10w-30 will play well with the honda VVT?

pardon my ignorance, what would the difference be between the premium Euro vs no VII euro?

No VII has no viscosity index improvers to shear down. Don’t know about the Honda, but the LS won’t be hard on oil.

I ran 0w40 in my Pentastars with VVT in the dead of a Chicago winter and couldn’t tell a difference. Currently using HPL’s Supercar 0w20 until my truck is out of warranty then it too will be going back to 0w40.

No VII has no viscosity index improvers to shear down. Don’t know about the Honda, but the LS won’t be hard on oil.

I ran 0w40 in my Pentastars with VVT in the dead of a Chicago winter and couldn’t tell a difference. Currently using HPL’s Supercar 0w20 until my truck is out of warranty then it too will be going back to 0w40.
with the LS not being hard on oil (shear) would the 4.023 HTHS of the premium euro 5w-40 be worth it over the no VII 5w-30’s 3.566?

Send a message to @High Performance Lubricants. David will guide you to make the most educated choice with your vehicles.
This is what I did. He was very helpful. Some would laugh at my decision to use HPL in my 2 older, no frills vehicles. Whatever... The customer support & quick response to my questions is the best I've experienced bar none. Pair that with the Cyber Monday discount I got, 10k mile oci's vs the 5k I was doing, & I will actually end up saving money & resources all while cleaning up what years of other oils left behind in the motor. As a craft brewer, I can relate to their mission & values as a small "boutique" company, & would rather support them with my hard earned dollar than XOM or Shell.

As mentioned above, the No VII oil will simply last longer due to no VII's. But a careful review of the specs highlight some major differences. The HPL 10W-30 has a very normal HTHS of 3.1. The No VII nearly 3.7. For TX, that's quite a difference in high temperature performance.

Also, the pour point is vastly different. -40ºF vs. -71°F for the No VII. While this may not matter to you at all. It "may" highlight differences in base oil type. Guessing AN vs PAO respectively.

As for the 10W-30 Euro No VII oil being thick, it's not. What it seems to be is an oil with a stable viscosity over a wide temperature range.

i don’t know if the VVT on the accord will take to oil that thick.
I run 5w40 in my 04 Civic with VTEC no issues, & am considering a 10w40 myself once I get through my current HPL stock as it doesn't get cold enough in western WA to not run a 10w. Once the oil is up to temp, whether a 5w40 or 10w40, it flows the same.

Back