Help Me Chose an HPL Oil!!!

i chose the PCEO 5w-40 with the help of Dave. living in houston we don’t get the super cold weather so we don’t need the higher tier oils that they sell. the 5w-40 was chosen specifically for the insane HTHS number in the low 4’s. both my silverado and the woman’s honda accord will be running on it soon.
I appreciate this reply! If you've got time and are willing, please tell me more about why the higher-grade oils are more suitable for cold climates. Is there no benefit at all to running the top tier stuff in Houston? I mean, my pockets will love that, but the hobby snob in me always wants a reason to go big haha!

As far as HTHS, is there a point of diminishing returns, or such a thing as too high for a given climate, vehicle engine type, etc? Did you ever consider the premium 0w40 just to cover a wider base for out-of-state trips and whatnot? Reality is that my family (and most, I bet) isn't going anywhere if there's even a remote possibility of the weather dipping to where a 5w won't work haha. I'm more just asking. questions because I'm getting into this and interested in what others have uncovered. When searching, I especially began seeking out reviews and posts from folks in southern states, so I really value your opinion and experiences.

What would you run in a RAV4 Hybrid, given the 0w16/0w20 ("but be sure to go back to 0w16 next time Gadget!!") Toyota recommendation. I see that the manuals outside the states list acceptable oils as 0w16, 0w20, 5w30, 10w30, and 15w40. Pretty crazy to see, but definitely leads me to believe we could run the same oil in both vehicles without issue, which would make changes much easier when doing them at home. I just wonder if I'm missing something with the hybrid system meaning the engine gets less use. In the end, if Toyota specs up to 15w40 globally, I don't see why 5w30 or 5w40 should be any issue in her Rav.

I appreciate this reply! If you've got time and are willing, please tell me more about why the higher-grade oils are more suitable for cold climates. Is there no benefit at all to running the top tier stuff in Houston? I mean, my pockets will love that, but the hobby snob in me always wants a reason to go big haha!

As far as HTHS, is there a point of diminishing returns, or such a thing as too high for a given climate, vehicle engine type, etc? Did you ever consider the premium 0w40 just to cover a wider base for out-of-state trips and whatnot? Reality is that my family (and most, I bet) isn't going anywhere if there's even a remote possibility of the weather dipping to where a 5w won't work haha. I'm more just asking. questions because I'm getting into this and interested in what others have uncovered. When searching, I especially began seeking out reviews and posts from folks in southern states, so I really value your opinion and experiences.

What would you run in a RAV4 Hybrid, given the 0w16/0w20 ("but be sure to go back to 0w16 next time Gadget!!") Toyota recommendation. I see that the manuals outside the states list acceptable oils as 0w16, 0w20, 5w30, 10w30, and 15w40. Pretty crazy to see, but definitely leads me to believe we could run the same oil in both vehicles without issue, which would make changes much easier when doing them at home. I just wonder if I'm missing something with the hybrid system meaning the engine gets less use. In the end, if Toyota specs up to 15w40 globally, I don't see why 5w30 or 5w40 should be any issue in her Rav.
the higher grade oils come with better base stocks. the improved base stocks also have improved cold weather performance. Dave said that he would sell me a more expensive oil if that is what i wanted, but he assured me that the fool old PCEO was all i needed. my stuff is old with high mileage so i chose to bump up the grade to 5w-40. the 5w-30 would have done just fine in my application aswell as yours. i’d say flip a coin and choose. Dave will have the correct answer for you if you contact him.

If I could run an HPL oil for two years before an oil change, I'd be ecstatic.
Going two years between an oil change generally means it will be two years before anyone inspects the vehicle. You have two higher mileage vehicles, and one that is over 10 years old. Suspension parts can wear, oil leaks can develop, etc. in-between services.

Every OEM out there recommends at least an annual inspection of their vehicles; heck, Toyota has been on the 1/10K oil change interval for a while, but still requires the 6mo/5K inspection and tire rotation interval.

To make this more relatable to your field - going two years (or longer) between an oil change and inspection is the equivalent of telling someone to go 4-5 years between check-ups with their PCP. Will someone in their 20's get away with it? Probably, but it still isn't best practice. But for someone in their 60's (like your car) - terrible idea.

I'm just starting my extended OCIs with HPL in my Lexus, and will be changing my MX-5 over as well, come spring.

When I spoke with Dave at HPL, I told him my goal was the longest OCIs I could achieve without bypass filtration. Because I don't live in an uber-stupid-cold climate (typically above zeroF in winter), he said there's no need for a PAO. Of all the choices in their entire lineup, he recommended the "regular" PCEO in 5w-30. And so that's what I'm running.

the higher grade oils come with better base stocks. the improved base stocks also have improved cold weather performance. Dave said that he would sell me a more expensive oil if that is what i wanted, but he assured me that the fool old PCEO was all i needed. my stuff is old with high mileage so i chose to bump up the grade to 5w-40. the 5w-30 would have done just fine in my application aswell as yours. i’d say flip a coin and choose. Dave will have the correct answer for you if you contact him.
He told me the same thing! He did recommend I go with the 5w30. His analogy was to assume you've got an electrical load that needs a 20 amp circuit breaker, and the 5w30 would be like a 40 amp circuit breaker while the 5w40 would like a 45 amp circuit breaker. Both would be way more than needed for my application. I can't lie... I'm still tempted to get the 5w40, but he did say I really should stick with the 5w30 for my wife's Rav, and it would be most efficient to run the same oil since my car needs 6.4 qt and hers need 4.8 qt. Otherwise, I'm gonna mix a little of her 5w30 with my 5w40 anyway to avoid buying an extra quart of 5w40 haha.

Going two years between an oil change generally means it will be two years before anyone inspects the vehicle. You have two higher mileage vehicles, and one that is over 10 years old. Suspension parts can wear, oil leaks can develop, etc. in-between services.

Every OEM out there recommends at least an annual inspection of their vehicles; heck, Toyota has been on the 1/10K oil change interval for a while, but still requires the 6mo/5K inspection and tire rotation interval.

To make this more relatable to your field - going two years (or longer) between an oil change and inspection is the equivalent of telling someone to go 4-5 years between check-ups with their PCP. Will someone in their 20's get away with it? Probably, but it still isn't best practice. But for someone in their 60's (like your car) - terrible idea.
Oh I definitely hear you. I wouldn't go that long without an inspection. Super grateful to have a shop that does inspections without charging, so I'll definitely be taking it into them regularly to make sure things are going well, or that any issues are caught. Actually just paid them a decent sum to take care of my front sway bar links, CV joint, and oil pan. They're a phenomenal bunch and having them willing to do inspections at no cost is what really helps drive my decision to go extended OCI. They are an honest bunch too. Plenty of inspections have turned up nothing, and I just pick up my whip and keep rolling.

I'm just starting my extended OCIs with HPL in my Lexus, and will be changing my MX-5 over as well, come spring.

When I spoke with Dave at HPL, I told him my goal was the longest OCIs I could achieve without bypass filtration. Because I don't live in an uber-stupid-cold climate (typically above zeroF in winter), he said there's no need for a PAO. Of all the choices in their entire lineup, he recommended the "regular" PCEO in 5w-30. And so that's what I'm running.
That's exactly the talk we had haha! I trust him and will probably go with the 5w30 for both our vehicles. The 5w40 is just the same cost as the 5w30 in the PCMO, and I find myself wanting it just to be different lol. He said it was definitely perfectly fine, but the 5w30 all around is wiser since it can be run in both vehicles.

Package arrived a few days ago, and the clear has officially been added to my vehicle. We bought my wife's Rav4 on the first day of the new year, so I'm hesitant to dump that oil so quickly, plus I don't feel like draining a quart to fit the cleaner in. She's at 88k or so, and I'll either change the oil and add the cleaner to hers at 90k miles, or when we go on spring break.

Let the journey begin!

Back