2000 mile interstate trip over 2 weeks….perfect time to run HPL Engine Cleaner?

We’ll be taking our ‘21 Mazda CX-9 on 2 trips during late August/early September totaling right at 2000 miles. Im not sure if this is just a hunch but it does strike me as an ideal time to do an OCI with 1qt of HPL EC30 right before and then 2 weeks and 2000 miles later do another OCI and drain and fill with the standard HPL oil from here on out.

Would running the EC “quickly” with the car being driven a few hundred miles daily at interstate speed be better/more efficient than just adding it and driving a normal commute of 15-20 miles daily until you hit 2000 or so miles months later?

You are over reacting. I would just change it right before you go and follow your regular schedule afterwards. Those are easy miles. If you need to "clean" on a 2021, you are either using poor quality oil or not changing oil per the owner's manual.

You are over reacting. I would just change it right before you go and follow your regular schedule afterwards. Those are easy miles. If you need to "clean" on a 2021, you are either using poor quality oil or not changing oil per the owner's manual.

I understand your point. Car has been on dealership bulk synthetic OCIs every 5k miles per the pre-paid maintenance package. I’m sure it’s fine but I was more curious than anything as I did have an extra bottle of EC30 after using the other bottle in my Acura TL prepping for HPL PPCO 5W30.

Honestly a fairly new car that's been following a 5k interval should be clean a a whistle inside. Just follow the regular maintenance intervals. If this 2k mile trip is near the end of the interval and will push it 6-7k that's fine to. If your looking to just have fresh oil after a trip.

Honestly a fairly new car that's been following a 5k interval should be clean a a whistle inside. Just follow the regular maintenance intervals. If this 2k mile trip is near the end of the interval and will push it 6-7k that's fine to. If your looking to just have fresh oil after a trip.
Agree. The OP will realize little to no benefit running EC on such a young engine.

I understand your point. Car has been on dealership bulk synthetic OCIs every 5k miles per the pre-paid maintenance package. I’m sure it’s fine but I was more curious than anything as I did have an extra bottle of EC30 after using the other bottle in my Acura TL prepping for HPL PPCO 5W30.
Waste of the product. Keep that extra bottle for another time, it won’t expire. Use it in few years.

We’ll be taking our ‘21 Mazda CX-9 on 2 trips during late August/early September totaling right at 2000 miles. Im not sure if this is just a hunch but it does strike me as an ideal time to do an OCI with 1qt of HPL EC30 right before and then 2 weeks and 2000 miles later do another OCI and drain and fill with the standard HPL oil from here on out.

Would running the EC “quickly” with the car being driven a few hundred miles daily at interstate speed be better/more efficient than just adding it and driving a normal commute of 15-20 miles daily until you hit 2000 or so miles months later?

I didn’t see what mileage is on your 2021 CX-9, but with 5k OCIs, I doubt it needs a cleaner in the crankcase.

Besides, the HPL oil will likely do a better job of cleaning anything that might be present and will do a stellar job in keeping the internals clean.

What OCI do you plan to run on the HPL?

First the garden tractor, then the lawnmower and pressure washer.
OIP.jpeg

Highway driving is great for engines. I would use the rest of the HPL EC if I already had other oil laying around waiting to be used. If not, consider going straight to HPL.

Maybe the last 1,000 mile leg if it's needing top off then possibly OR....wait till you pull in the driveway at home after the trip, check the oil level on your lawnmower AND if it's low then add to level and cut the grass to make full use of the day that has been gracefully given because nothing is more tiring than driving all day and then coming home and having to do yardwork. 😂

keep in mind , that you would not want to do anything that would cause anything to happen while your on the road , that would peg the suckmeter

Back