FRAM FS3600 A02521 about 2338 miles with HPL EC30

This is part 2 of the filter inspection at the end of my oil service life at 4837.8 miles. Came out of my 100 mile daily driver, 2012 Toyota Yaris. Running Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage 5w-30 with HPL EC30 and BG MOA mixed in.

There is not much to say other than I'm incredibly impressed with the build quality of this filter. Just the media element alone was heavy pulling out of the can soaked in oil. The pleats are very stout and hard to flex and crush with fingers. Looks like the filter caught some chunks of carbon which I have never seen from the previous YZZN1 filter that came out of the last oil change. Oil looks a bit darker than usual compared to the previous drain, there's also a hint of sweet and slightly fruity smell from the oil as well which I mentioned in the other HPL EC thread normally valvoline oil smells awful like any other oil drained out.

Counted 36+1 pleats which include the metal seam. I stacked 2 YZZN1 medias which are 1-15/16" tall clearly showing this filter element is twice as tall and double the media, lots of surface area could mean this filter can last way longer if I wanted to leave it on. I took it out just so I can start clean running new HPL PCMO oil without leaving any old oil in. Another nice detail I love about this filter is the bypass spring assembly seal that feels like a fiber gasket.

I'm glad that I stocked up 37 of these large pink wire backed filters lol, Looking forward to try out the FE3600 in my next change maybe after 5k to sample the oil for lab analysis.

Previous oil filter thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/fram-ultra-xg3600-cut-open-2000-miles-hpl-ec30.376398/

20240110_224517.jpg

4 quarts of HPL PCMO 5w-30 and another FS3600 went back in. See you guys again in 5000 miles.

This is part 2 of the filter inspection at the end of my oil service life at 4837.8 miles. Came out of my 100 mile daily driver, 2012 Toyota Yaris. Running Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage 5w-30 with HPL EC30 and BG MOA mixed in.

There is not much to say other than I'm incredibly impressed with the build quality of this filter. Just the media element alone was heavy pulling out of the can soaked in oil. The pleats are very stout and hard to flex and crush with fingers. Looks like the filter caught some chunks of carbon which I have never seen from the previous YZZN1 filter that came out of the last oil change. Oil looks a bit darker than usual compared to the previous drain, there's also a hint of sweet and slightly fruity smell from the oil as well which I mentioned in the other HPL EC thread normally valvoline oil smells awful like any other oil drained out.

Counted 36+1 pleats which include the metal seam. I stacked 2 YZZN1 medias which are 1-15/16" tall clearly showing this filter element is twice as tall and double the media, lots of surface area could mean this filter can last way longer if I wanted to leave it on. I took it out just so I can start clean running new HPL PCMO oil without leaving any old oil in. Another nice detail I love about this filter is the bypass spring assembly seal that feels like a fiber gasket.

I'm glad that I stocked up 37 of these large pink wire backed filters lol, Looking forward to try out the FE3600 in my next change maybe after 5k to sample the oil for lab analysis.

Previous oil filter thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/fram-ultra-xg3600-cut-open-2000-miles-hpl-ec30.376398/

View attachment 197986

4 quarts of HPL PCMO 5w-30 and another FS3600 went back in. See you guys again in 5000 miles.
Looks very good. Keep us updated.

Looks like this ec30 didn't need to do much. It looks clean in the can anyways.

The engine had a flush of BG EPR prior to running HPL EC to be fair. Its safe to assume the flush did its job. The EC30 here also did its job since its a slower cleaner to run throughout the oil service life, did show tiny chunks of carbon particles in the bottom of the filter can slowly dissolving into solution.

The engine had a flush of BG EPR prior to running HPL EC to be fair. Its safe to assume the flush did its job. The EC30 here also did its job since its a slower cleaner to run throughout the oil service life, did show tiny chunks of carbon particles in the bottom of the filter can slowly dissolving into solution.
That makes sense, in my experience the EPR does a great job cleaning. Will be interesting to see after some miles with the HPL oil.

Ah, I've thought about using that stuff. The Yaris may just burn pretty clean since it's designed as a fuel saver car.

Are all 37 XG3600s Titaniums? I have a couple, but most of my XG3600s are OG Ultras-and they are INCREDIBLY hard to stop from rusting. The Sure Grip coating just holds water, flakes off, gets scraped off by road debris-and rapid rusting begins. I'm going to eventually start running the few wire-backed Titaniums to see if they have better rust resistance, as do the FPS ones (because there's no stupid Sure Grip).

Ah, I've thought about using that stuff. The Yaris may just burn pretty clean since it's designed as a fuel saver car.
@Mewbs Yaris is the same engine as my xB-after 19,700 miles on 3 M1 EP 5W30 OCIs using an OG Ultra XG3600 there was basically nothing in the can but a couple tiny carbon flakes. They are possibly the cleanest non-CNG burning engine I've seen!

@Mewbs Yaris is the same engine as my xB-after 19,700 miles on 3 M1 EP 5W30 OCIs using an OG Ultra XG3600 there was basically nothing in the can but a couple tiny carbon flakes. They are possibly the cleanest non-CNG burning engine I've seen!
Always liked those xb's. Nothing like first hand experience on seeing how the filter loads up after that many miles. If it was a dirty burner then it would've been noticeable I'd imagine. Good info.

View attachment 197986

a fellow titanium hoarder! i can keep eyes out for 3600’s if you’ll look for 3675’s and 7317’s 👀

excellent c&p the OG ultra filter element is second to none.

Are all 37 XG3600s Titaniums? I have a couple, but most of my XG3600s are OG Ultras-and they are INCREDIBLY hard to stop from rusting. The Sure Grip coating just holds water, flakes off, gets scraped off by road debris-and rapid rusting begins. I'm going to eventually start running the few wire-backed Titaniums to see if they have better rust resistance, as do the FPS ones (because there's no stupid Sure Grip).
The ones I picked up are all wire backed manually inspected with a flashlight until I started noticing batch code print patterns to help me identify which ones are the good ones vs the cheapened newer stock. A CarQuest guy hooked me up with a few factory new boxes of old stock when I inquired him about inventory in his local network.

The FS3600 has held up fine here in California, even during the past few weeks of flash rainy weeks and wet cold nights. The outer dome coating shows no signs of corrosion since I drive 90% of the time on the highway during work days as the engine oil heat keeps the moisture out in extended periods of driving.

Its probably the best small size Toyota engine I have experienced, dead reliable, roomy engine bay to service things when needed.
I showed my fellow engineer coworkers on using oversized oil filter on my vehicle and they're just blown a way how clean the oil looks when I showed them this thread. I think the oil cleanliness appearance really has to do more with the engine design. I notice the 1NZ-FE does not have an EGR circulation system other than a basic PCV system, maybe contributes why this engine is running clean?

a fellow titanium hoarder! i can keep eyes out for 3600’s if you’ll look for 3675’s and 7317’s 👀

excellent c&p the OG ultra filter element is second to none.

???? I don't understand your first line unless you're looking to find some in exchange? Its best to shop locally and bring a flash light so you know which has wire backing or not.

I started collecting them since I saw that one chart showing how good these pink media filters are from a third party testing lab here.

Efficiency Compairson Graph Pic 2.jpg

The FS3600 has held up fine here in California, even during the past few weeks of flash rainy weeks and wet cold nights
No salted roads in CA. I'm betting the guys who report rusted cans live in places where the roads are salted in the winter months.

Yeah, the rainy seasons here can get intense sometimes. After a long drive the filter hanging down always dries up in a few minutes after stopping the car when touching the bottom dome of the can. I notice in long drives in the highway, the filter itself is warm to touch but borderline hot compared to the smaller filters I used to run. Probably has to do with the increased surface area exposed to air aiding cooling.

Yeah every dealer mechanic and independent shops swear by that stuff. I have used it several times with very positive results on other vehicles. I normally do 20-30 minute flushes instead of the minimum of 10 minute stated on the back of the can to get my moneys worth.

Added dried media photos. Took about a week and many shop absorbent towels to get most of the oil off compared to the other filters I have cut open so far. Apart from the oil discoloring, the element looks barely loaded at all.

Looks wet good sir. I Thank You. Did another Fram endurance go on?

Back