Looking for oil for Subaru BRZ with FA24D

Definitely check for RTV.

An Accusump is a fairly simple install as well, once you figure out a place to put it.

Looks there are already solutions:

I will take a look at solutions like these with time, I am much mellow driver on track compared to few. A lady in previous gen was driving 10-20mph faster than me everywhere and her car didn't even have the tiny oil cooler (same as Ascent) that my 2nd gen has. I forgot to ask her what oil she was running, she left early and I saw high temperatures in later session.

250* is fine with those 5w30 selections. The BRZ guys I have talked to at the track (Thunderhill, Laguna) without oil coolers seem to be running closer to 300*, which at that point, 0w40 would be better. Since yours has a cooler, nothing to worry about at 250*

The euro spec 5W30's looks pretty close to 0W40 from number I could find (I can not find HTHS numbers though and wonder how different those are)
Mobil1 FS 5W-3071.812.2
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-3070.212.5
Mobil1 FS 0W-4078.313.8

The euro spec 5W30's looks pretty close to 0W40 from number I could find (I can not find HTHS numbers though and wonder how different those are)
Mobil1 FS 5W-3071.812.2
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-3070.212.5
Mobil1 FS 0W-4078.313.8
Mobil1 5W30 FS is around 3.5
PPE L 5W30 3.6
Mobil1 0W40 FS 3.6
PPE 5W40 3.88
Motul X-Cess 5W40 3.8
Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40 3.7
Castrol 0W40 3.7
Castrol 0W30 3.58
Castrol 5W40 3.6
Mobil1 5W40 3.7

An external oil cooler isn't necessary at these temps. I regularly see 270 on track....its fine....

Ext. oil coolers add their own set of issues....pressure issues...more to break/go wrong that can be catastrophic...can limit oil filter choices....etc. That car isn't forced induction so I wouldn't worry to much.
It is not an issue if the engine is already having an external oil cooler in some other model (BMW engines, for example). Then it should be straightforward. This Subaru engine has an external oil cooler in some vehicles.

IMO it is a must. You can get away with your setup as you track your car at a very low altitude, 551ft. 270f is already "there," considering that altitude.

It is not an issue if the engine is already having an external oil cooler in some other model (BMW engines, for example). Then it should be straightforward. This Subaru engine has an external oil cooler in some vehicles.

IMO it is a must. You can get away with your setup as you track your car at a very low altitude, 551ft. 270f is already "there," considering that altitude.
Are we talking about oil cooler like this one?
or this one?

Mobil1 5W30 FS is around 3.5
PPE L 5W30 3.6
Mobil1 0W40 FS 3.6
PPE 5W40 3.88
Motul X-Cess 5W40 3.8
Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40 3.7
Castrol 0W40 3.7
Castrol 0W30 3.58
Castrol 5W40 3.6
Mobil1 5W40 3.7
Thanks, this is a great help, out of curiosity what were numbers for extended performance 0W20 and 5W30?

Are we talking about oil cooler like this one?
or this one?

Thanks, this is a great help, out of curiosity what were numbers for extended performance 0W20 and 5W30?
I do not remember those, but 0W20 will be in 2.6-2.7, and EP 5W30 around 3.
Euro oils are one you want on track. Period.

As for oil coolers:

Subaru one by the filter is a heat exchanger. It helps, but very often is not sufficient, especially if your track is on a higher altitude.
Another set up is radiator type. That is best for track, but you have to be careful with setup. The best is if Subaru has a radiator cooler on some other vehicles like Ascent and get that one new or used. I run on my BMW radiator type from 335i. But BMW's are super easy to get ready for track as they already have a lot of stuff ready on chassis for stronger engines, and oil filter housing is modular. Not sure how Subaru does it, but check if Ascent has a radiator type. If not, I agree here with @TiGeo, it can create some issues. And that engine is already problematic on track. Check if some other guys are running radiator type on same engine and see their experience.

Last edited:
I do not remember those, but 0W20 will be in 2.6-2.7, and EP 5W30 around 3.
Euro oils are one you want on track. Period.

As for oil coolers:

Subaru one by the filter is a heat exchanger. It helps, but very often is not sufficient, especially if your track is on a higher altitude.
Another set up is radiator type. That is best for track, but you have to be careful with setup. The best is if Subaru has a radiator cooler on some other vehicles like Ascent and get that one new or used. I run on my BMW radiator type from 335i. But BMW's are super easy to get ready for track as they already have a lot of stuff ready on chassis for stronger engines, and oil filter housing is modular. Not sure how Subaru does it, but check if Ascent has a radiator type. If not, I agree here with @TiGeo, it can create some issues. And that engine is already problematic on track. Check if some other guys are running radiator type on same engine and see their experience.
Got it now. When I first googled Subaru ascent oil cooler, a heat exchanger picture showed up. That's where I got confused because my car already has that. I will do some digging and see if it has radiator type cooler.

Got it now. When I first googled Subaru ascent oil cooler, a heat exchanger picture showed up. That's where I got confused because my car already has that. I will do some digging and see if it has radiator type cooler.
Yeah. Keep in mind that the radiator type is super effective, which, if you do not run the thermostat, can create issues on the street in colder weather.
Here is a photo of my oil filter housing. That part with two torx screws is actually a thermostat, and that is where the feeding line is to the radiator and the return line from the radiator. The thermostat opens completely at 110c or 230f. You don't want your oil below 220f!
OFH thermostat with lines 2.JPG

Agreed. On the MK7s specifically, many folks that track them try to solve the high oil temps with external radiator-style oil/air coolers. Most of them mount in front of the condenser (our cars have the condenser/intercooler/radiator in a stack). This ends up reducing the intercooler's efficiency and increasing intake air temps. Ideally, the oil cooler will be mounted off to the side in the area in front of the wheel well with additional venting to make it work. Even the TCR GTI race cars don't have external coolers beyond the factory heat exchanger. Many have focused on increasing air flow to keep coolant temps lower with hood venting which will also help keep the oil cooler b/c it's cooled by the coolant or just running water only w/wetter. Like many mods, sometimes there are unintended consequences. If you can keep your oil temps in-check (270-280 max?) without blowing up your coolant temps I'd say it's fine. Sometimes it's just backing off for a lap vs. going hard the whole time. Hottest I've done is 90 F ambient and. my oil stayed around 265 on a smaller track; at VIR with the big straights and getting over 135 repeatedly on a lap, my oil was sitting around 270 with an ambient of ~80. I'm at the track this week (small track - Dominion) for a track night and should be around that (90). I realize I'm close to sea level here. I also just got a new condenser which already logging shows lower intake air temps from the better flow...that has to help coolant temps...I'll be doing some logging. I also like the idea of using an ext. oil cooler if another vehicle in the line up has an OE one you can fit as it's had the proper engineering vs. the bro-science often used in the aftermarket.

Last edited:
Agreed. On the MK7s specifically, many folks that track them try to solve the high oil temps with external radiator-style oil/air coolers. Most of them mount in front of the condenser (our cars have the condenser/intercooler/radiator in a stack). This ends up reducing the intercooler's efficiency and increasing intake air temps. Ideally, the oil cooler will be mounted off to the side in the area in front of the wheel well with additional venting to make it work. Even the TCR GTI race cars don't have external coolers beyond the factory heat exchanger. Many have focused on increasing air flow to keep coolant temps lower with hood venting which will also help keep the oil cooler b/c it's cooled by the coolant or just running water only w/wetter. Like many mods, sometimes there are unintended consequences. If you can keep your oil temps in-check (270-280 max?) without blowing up your coolant temps I'd say it's fine. Sometimes it's just backing off for a lap vs. going hard the whole time. Hottest I've done is 90 F ambient and. my oil stayed around 265 on a smaller track; at VIR with the big straights and getting over 135 repeatedly on a lap, my oil was sitting around 270 with an ambient of ~80. I'm at the track this week (small track - Dominion) for a track night and should be around that (90). I realize I'm close to sea level here. I also just got a new condenser which already logging shows lower intake air temps from the better flow...that has to help coolant temps...I'll be doing some logging. I also like the idea of using an ext. oil cooler if another vehicle in the line up has an OE one you can fit as it's had the proper engineering vs. the bro-science often used in the aftermarket.

It has to go on a side IMO. Stacking will reduce flow to the intercooler and coolant radiator unless there is some space below those radiators to put one long with only a few bars.
Altitude is everything. I see here a lot of people having tuned-up vehicles that do fine in TX or AZ heat, just to go into limp mode after 2-3 laps at 80+f temperature.
Another option is a larger coolant radiator like CSF. But that can create issues in the winter.

Yeah. Keep in mind that the radiator type is super effective, which, if you do not run the thermostat, can create issues on the street in colder weather.
Here is a photo of my oil filter housing. That part with two torx screws is actually a thermostat, and that is where the feeding line is to the radiator and the return line from the radiator. The thermostat opens completely at 110c or 230f. You don't want your oil below 220f!
View attachment 173918

Edit: NM, it's the heat exchanger again, I am asking on ascent forum to check if it has oil cooler.

Last edited:
Edit: NM, it's the heat exchanger again, I am asking on ascent forum to check if it has oil cooler.
Yeah, I mean if it does not have a heat exchanger, it will help a bit. But the primary function of this exchanger is to warm up oil as fast as possible. Coolant reaches higher temperatures much faster than oil. If you warm up oil fast, you are improving mpg. This is too small for any serious difference on the track. I would say you would be better with larger CSF coolant radiator. But, check that too as I know in BMW world, large CSF radiators create issues in naturally aspirated engines with stick. In winter there is too much cooling capacity, and affects heating.

Aftermarket oil coolers also can cause issues getting oil to operating temp in winter - some just cover them with cardboard and some kits come with a thermostat.

My '23 BRZ currently runs K&N 5W-30 on track with no cooler. Will switch to Quaker State Ultimate Protection 5W-30 next change.

Last edited:
A popular oil in Japan is a Subaru rebranded Total Euro 0W-30.

It is actually in the BRZ and WRX owner’s manuals even though both recommend 0W-20.

(screen shot below)

The HTHS is 3.5 although not sure which ACEA specs it meets since it’s not shown. The data sheet in the above link isn’t that specific either and it’s old.

There are some folks running the Forester XT “oil cooler” at ft86club.com and they report about a 10° drop in oil temp. on the track.

Attachments

• 332785D2-4597-4453-951D-8DA8499213CC.jpg
    332785D2-4597-4453-951D-8DA8499213CC.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
A popular oil in Japan is a Subaru rebranded Total Euro 0W-30.

It is actually in the BRZ and WRX owner’s manuals even though both recommend 0W-20.

(screen shot below)

The HTHS is 3.5 although not sure which ACEA specs it meets since it’s not shown. The data sheet in the above link isn’t that specific either and it’s old.

There are some folks running the Forester XT “oil cooler” at ft86club.com and they report about a 10° drop in oil temp. on the track.
Thanks, for Forester XT cooler, FA24D already has it.

Back