Scotty’s at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ran into a Scotty Kilmer short video on YouTube. He is trying to convince people that as long as the ratings in the bottle is up to spec, in the case O’Reilly vs Castrol GTX, you are just wasting money on the more expensive oil. There is no context, like an old beater that burns a quart of oil a week, or your new Porsche 718 Cayman sports car.
Needless to say, the comment section is not agreeable with his video.
Do you think that he just trying to stir up attention for YouTube payday, or do you think that he really doesn’t know that most oil is blended differently and performs different from one another?

He is trying to convince people that as long as the ratings in the bottle is up to spec, in the case O’Reilly vs Castrol GTX, you are just wasting money on the more expensive oil.

I believe that's entirely the purpose of these specifications. The higher end European Specs, or even Dexos G2 spec oils aren't going to be cheap conventionals. Also, the boutique oils aren't what everyone thinks they are.

I think I might finally agree with scotty on something.

If Castrol GTX or O'Reilly's meets the spec - it will do just fine. Doubt either of those will meet the spec for a Porsche 718, as that's Castrol Edge category. But again - if oil is approved for the required specs for the vehicle, then it will do just fine.

But when it comes to Scotty - yes, he is just stirring up the pot for attention. I mean - why not if YT pays so well? Dude is a freaking billionaire by now probably, so he'll keep click-baiting until his last breath.

Do you think that he just trying to stir up attention for YouTube payday?

Well you are posting about this here and I would not have known about it otherwise and I'm sure many people who read this are in the same boat and some will end up going and watching that video. So whether Scotty does or does not know anything about oil in reality he's going to be benefiting from people talking about his videos be they accurate, ignorant, misinformation, or disinformation.

What is relevant to Scotty or any other content creator is how much attention they draw and what follows is what way(s) they've choosen to draw said attention.

Scotty Kilmer? Didn't he quit or get forced to stop making videos, or was that just more click-bait video titles? Seems he's been on the verge of quitting for the past couple years.

Scotty is a genius. He accomplishes exactly what he wants. To get people addicted to his goofy persona and sense of humor, so they'll keep coming back for more. He's an entertainer. And he's a good mechanic. People need to realize, he's on Youtube to entertain his audience, which he does very well.

He isn’t wrong. The run of the mill grocery getters, kid haulers, and daily commuters don’t need more than the base minimum. Even the well to do soccer mom in the Porsche Cayenne isn’t stringing out the engine at the track. Rules aren’t made for the exceptions.

I have been saying this for years.

Changing oil with an appropriate interval with an oil that meets the engine spec's is all that is needed.

As others said, he is not wrong in that.

All my vehicles require is the API spec (from SG to SM), no Dexos, VW, Porche or other specific, "oddball" specs.
There is no reason for me to run oil that is $15/qt when $2/qt oil meets the exact same spec.
Even then, I run HDEO in my motorcycles that have no JASO spec and have no issues with them.

As for Scotty, he is an entertainer that was a good mechanic at one time, and is still probably a decent mechanic overall, but just very opinionated and loves his Toyota's.
I watch his videos on occasion, but not subscribed to him.

Scotty is the undisputed clickbait king. His videos are a waste of time, and he gives plenty of bad advice. The only informative videos he uploads are the documentaries he narates.

Also, the boutique oils aren't what everyone thinks they are.

I don't know what you think they are, and there are some bad apples out there like Royal Purple (rotten to the core), however, for the most part you get higher quality lubricants. Companies like Red Line, High Performance Lubricants, and AMSOIL, just to name a few that are well known, put out high quality products. If you need higher quality ATF or gear oils for hot running transmissions, high performance applications, and so on, these are amongst your only options. Yes, there are a few options from Motul, Ravenol, and Castrol, but those are far and in between, because these companies tend to mix in Group III base oils in many of their products, like ATF.

When it comes to engines, you don't necessarily need a PAO/POE/AN based motor oil for your grocery getter, but it's nice to have nonetheless. And for high performance applications, not everyone wants to run Valvoline VR1, 🤣.

So that's what "boutique" oils are all about. They give you more performance for more money. It's not for everyone. I certainly use them where the application requires it. I also use them where the Group II or III OEM fluids costs an arm and a leg while delivering less performance than the aftermarket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back