Scotty’s at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then hanging around here is more than likely pointless.
In many ways, it is getting to that point.
Back when this forum started, there was a huge difference in oil brands and formulations, but with advancements in oil formulation and the API and other standards required now days, a lot of it is kind of moot.

Is Mobil 1 "better" than Supertech? Maybe.
Will using Mobil 1 over Supertech make any difference in the engine life of the vehicle. Probably not.

Yes there are some outlier vehicles out there that may need the "better" oils, but for the majority of the driving public, using oil that meets the spec of the engine, regardless of price, will allow the engine to most likely outlast the rest of the vehicle.
As I said before, an appropriate oil change interval is more important than the brand of oil used.

Back when this forum started, there was a huge difference in oil brands and formulations, but with advancements in oil formulation and the API and other standards required now days, a lot of it is kind of moot.

Will using Mobil 1 over Supertech make any difference in the engine life of the vehicle. Probably not.

Yes there are some outlier vehicles out there that may need the "better" oils, but for the majority of the driving public, using oil that meets the spec of the engine, regardless of price, will allow the engine to most likely outlast the rest of the vehicle.
As I said before, an appropriate oil change interval is more important than the brand of oil used.

Some of the best advice is to use what the vehicle says to use on the oil cap (motor oil, oil grade, if we are to that level of specificity. Hey.)

The debate and hyper-intensive debate usually comes in in the select few applications or instances where that particular spec - usually posted on an oil cap. But not always - would not be ideal.

Or 5W-30 vs 5W-20.

Or 0W vs 5W.

etc...

My comment was aimed strictly at @football, who claims to come here for entertainment.

And no, the forum is beneficial. I got quite the education in lubrication here. And I'm very grateful for it.

I wouldn't use SuperTech anything. Its pricing structure doesn't support it when you can purchase much better lubricants within a few dollars. The specs that "it meets" don't say how much I can "abuse" said oil. While running something like Mobil 1, I know for sure, at the very least by reputation, that I can rely on if I'm in a situation where I need to overstress my vehicle.

Some of the best advice is to use what the vehicle says to use on the oil cap (motor oil, oil grade, if we are to that level of specificity. Hey.)

The debate and hyper-intensive debate usually comes in in the select few applications or instances where that particular spec - usually posted on an oil cap. But not always - would not be ideal.

Or 5W-30 vs 5W-20.

Or 0W vs 5W.

etc...

Yes-and those threads are tired and predictable.

My comment was aimed strictly at @football, who claims to come here for entertainment.

And no, the forum is beneficial. I got quite the education in lubrication here. And I'm very grateful for it.

I wouldn't use SuperTech anything. Its pricing structure doesn't support it when you can purchase much better lubricants within a few dollars. The specs that "it meets" don't say how much I can "abuse" said oil. While running something like Mobil 1, I know for sure, at the very least by reputation, that I can rely on if I'm in a situation where I need to overstress my vehicle.
You don't need to discuss this. It's evident just looking at the shelf prices. If there is a two or three dollars difference (used to be-don't know about now) between SuperTech and WHATEVER BRAND NAME OIL most car people would pick the name brand oil and those who buy Great Value food products and are not car people are going to pick the SuperTech. It's super simple...really. BTW- you are not going to "overstress" your vehicle as long as your using an oil that meets the spec-regardless of the label. Your argument really doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
BTW- you are not going to "overstress" your vehicle as long as your using an oil that meets the spec-regardless of the label.
Try towing, for example. Never mind those who participate in the occasional autocross event.

those who buy Great Value food products and are not car people are going to pick the SuperTech.
I always buy store-brand food products, not just at Walmart. I never buy SuperTech. I'm a car guy, I understand value for money, and I perform my own maintenance. Those who are not car people don't do their own oil changes, so they don't buy their own oil, never mind SuperTech.

The most amusing subset of SuperTech buyers are those who spend $50 or more on a UOA (TBN included) to show everyone how they saved money on their oil change.

Try towing, for example. Never mind those who participate in the occasional autocross event.

I always buy store-brand food products, not just at Walmart. I never buy SuperTech. I'm a car guy, I understand value for money, and I perform my own maintenance. Those who are not car people don't do their own oil changes, so they don't buy their own oil, never mind SuperTech.

The most amusing subset of SuperTech buyers are those who spend $50 or more on a UOA (TBN included) to show everyone how they saved money on their oil change.

I tow a 5,000 pound-30 foot travel trailer all over the Rocky Mountains, up 8,000 foot Mountain passes (regularly) and run Mobil One 0w/20...that stuff is so thin my motor should have self - destructed by now according to some. I'm at 46,000 miles and it hasn't happened yet. That's what the manual calls for-that's what it gets. I put one of the SuperTech 10,000 mile filters on it.

You don't need to discuss this. It's evident just looking at the shelf prices. If there is a two or three dollars difference (used to be-don't know about now) between SuperTech and WHATEVER BRAND NAME OIL most car people would pick the name brand oil and those who buy Great Value food products and are not car people are going to pick the SuperTech. It's super simple...really. BTW- you are not going to "overstress" your vehicle as long as your using an oil that meets the spec-regardless of the label. Your argument really doesn't make sense.
Great Value mayonnaise is identical to Hellmans, but much cheaper. Other stuff is hit or miss.

But rebates usually put name brand oil below the cost of ST.

Reactions: CKN
I tow a 5,000 pound-30 foot travel trailer all over the Rocky Mountains, up 8,000 foot Mountain passes (regularly) and run Mobil One 0w/20...that stuff is so thin my motor should have self - destructed by now according to some. I'm at 46,000 miles and it hasn't happened yet. That's what the manual calls for-that's what it gets. I put one of the SuperTech 10,000 mile filters on it.

You just gave half the members here chest pains.

Great Value mayonnaise is identical to Hellmans, but much cheaper. Other stuff is hit or miss.

But rebates usually put name brand oil below the cost of ST.
But then again many rebate forms are never submitted.

You just gave half the members here chest pains.
I use Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 without any problems, not even for towing. I wouldn't use SuperTech 0W-20 under the same conditions though. I'm not concerned with its thickness, but rather what happens with it at high temperatures, and how clean it leaves the engine behind after I used it. That's where Mobil 1 shines, and SuperTech doesn't. You put that Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 in a 5.7 HEMI and pull a 5000 lb trailer up the Ike Gauntlet, everything will be okay. I'm not sure how well the engine will fare under the same conditions when the oil temperature reaches 265F+. Varnish buildup and other problems are a real concern. I'd rather not risk it. I was comparing lubes, not oil filters or other products from the SuperTech brand.

I use Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 without any problems, not even for towing. I wouldn't use SuperTech 0W-20 under the same conditions though. I'm not concerned with its thickness, but rather what happens with it at high temperatures, and how clean it leaves the engine behind after I used it. That's where Mobil 1 shines, and SuperTech doesn't. You put that Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 in a 5.7 HEMI and pull a 5000 lb trailer up the Ike Gauntlet, everything will be okay. I'm not sure how well the engine will fare under the same conditions when the oil temperature reaches 265F+. Varnish buildup and other problems are a real concern. I'd rather not risk it. I was comparing lubes, not oil filters or other products from the SuperTech brand.

Okay but I don’t do all that stuff.

To be brutally honest-I wouldn't be concerned doing the same thing with Super Tech-but I'm not because I can afford the Mobil One. It would appear that at last check both SuperTech and Kirkland's Oil (CostCo) is made by Warren (what we get in Utah) -there have been decent reports.

Okay but I don’t do all that stuff.
For someone who commutes to work and uses their vehicle for normal transportation, sure, SuperTech is more than fine. I'm a creature of habit and biased towards the major brands and boutique oils. Maybe I'm too old to change my ways. Of course, if things get weirder in this world and prices get more out of whack then they already have, I wouldn't pay say $40 or $60 for a jug of Mobil 1 when I can get SuperTech for $20. I saw this recently with Castrol EDGE 0W-40, Amazon had it for as much as $60 for a 5-quart jug.

To be brutally honest-I wouldn't be concerned doing the same thing with Super Tech-but I'm not because I can afford the Mobil One. It would appear that at last check both SuperTech and Kirkland's Oil (CostCo) is made by Warren (what we get in Utah) -there have been decent reports.
I know Warren makes it. The price difference isn't huge between Mobil 1 and SuperTech at the moment. If prices get out of whack, then sure, SuperTech it is. Also, if you have an engine with roller lifters, you want to keep them as clean as possible as they tend to easily varnish up and gunk up with usage under high heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back