Oil for B58 Ineos Grenadier

No changes will forbid using thicker oil. They just streamlined their own logistics.
I tend to agree that it's probably not a technical reason. However, NA dealers were already putting LL-01FE in everything and had basically stopped using LL-01 a long time ago except for old cars. It may streamline paperwork for someone I guess.

I tend to agree that it's probably not a technical reason. However, NA dealers were already putting LL-01FE in everything and had basically stopped using LL-01 a long time ago except for old cars. It may streamline paperwork for someone I guess.
It is the oil that was used to obtain fuel economy testing results.

It is the oil that was used to obtain fuel economy testing results.
Yes, it has been the oil used to obtain those results for almost a decade now, so it's not related. It wouldn't make sense to just all of a sudden pull the allowance for the LL-01 when they have already been using LL-01 FE for a long time. I'm sure it's just some arbitrary internal decision.

VW moved to 508.00 and they used 5W40 for like 2-3 years. Now I think they just using 508 and 504 in everything.

IMG_0796.jpeg

Is it weird that I really like steel wheels?
Nope it's why I went with them. I didn't like the other offerings. I may go to aluminum if I can find some good black ones. I'm wondering what the weight of the steel wheels are vs aluminum to cut down on rotational mass. But honestly I like them as they are. It's a 3 ton SUV. Doesn't mess around.

Not my kids btw at a friends house. Close enough where they call me uncle lol.

Well yeah, but it is just cool that company didn’t feel obligated to put 295/30R22
One of the things you instantly hate about Land Rovers. They got so far off the beaten path that this thing here was created. They want to put these 400-500HP motors in them needing larger calipers so then they're stuck using 20"+ wheels that they ship with street tires on it while at the same time touting it's off-road capability. LR has missed the mark. These are 17" steelies. They do an 18" to but I wanted the 17" and honestly it drives great on them. The Trialmaster trim comes stock with front/center/rear locking diffs, dual battery setup with high power outlets on the roof and in the front/back, 17" steelies and BFG KO2s. That's a solid build coming from a factory. Waiting on my fender diamond plates to arrive at the dealer to be installed. Waiting on rockslider/steps to be made in the USA. Black Sheep has some great ideas rolling around but they're WAY too expensive especially with US shipping. But this will be my forever vehicle if I can help it.

One of the things you instantly hate about Land Rovers. They got so far off the beaten path that this thing here was created. They want to put these 400-500HP motors in them needing larger calipers so then they're stuck using 20"+ wheels that they ship with street tires on it while at the same time touting it's off-road capability. LR has missed the mark. These are 17" steelies. They do an 18" to but I wanted the 17" and honestly it drives great on them. The Trialmaster trim comes stock with front/center/rear locking diffs, dual battery setup with high power outlets on the roof and in the front/back, 17" steelies and BFG KO2s. That's a solid build coming from a factory. Waiting on my fender diamond plates to arrive at the dealer to be installed. Waiting on rockslider/steps to be made in the USA. Black Sheep has some great ideas rolling around but they're WAY too expensive especially with US shipping. But this will be my forever vehicle if I can help it.
There is no doubt that larger rotors help things. Being able to put 17" wheels and considering weight, means rotors are at most 340-345mm? Hopefully, they are thick.

Nope it's why I went with them. I didn't like the other offerings. I may go to aluminum if I can find some good black ones. I'm wondering what the weight of the steel wheels are vs aluminum to cut down on rotational mass. But honestly I like them as they are. It's a 3 ton SUV. Doesn't mess around.

Not my kids btw at a friends house. Close enough where they call me uncle lol.
Well 17" wheels won't pack that much weight, but yeah, going aluminium would lower rotational mass. See if these guys have anything for you. They have really cool off road wheels for VW Atlas:
1552 Wheels

Just my two cents. Assuming the cooling works the same in the Grenadier as in BMW's implementation, the oil temps are held up at about 240F in normal operation, but when temperatures get high, they actually drop to about 210F as BMW seems to open the oil cooler to help in cooling the entire system. I have observed this in my son's X3 3.5i, as well as my wife's, and my friend that has one and lives in Houston has observed the same thing. (See attached photo from the extreme heat wave in Southern California in September 2020). As such, I don't believe that you need to worry about the oil thinning out too much, unless you are seeing higher oil temps in actual operation.

Personally, I would lean towards the Mobil 1 0w-30 ESP with its BMW LL-04/MB 229.51/52 and Porsche C30/VW504.00/507.00 approvals. While I appreciate that BMW doesn't list LL-04 as approved, given the elimination of sulfur in the US fuel, this is not an issue. As others have pointed out, BMW is extremely slow to update their oil information. I recall it took BMW NA about 10 years to recognize that LL98 and then LL01 even existed.

Personally, given the weight and aerodynamics of the vehicle, I would be consider whether the 10,000 mile oil interval that BMW specs for the B58 should be shortened down to 7,500 miles or so to account for the additional fuel and stress the engine will see in ordinary use.

View attachment 192342
I actually seem to hold around 192f on the gauge

You're getting too technical for me. I couldn't tell you. But it does stop great.
There is no doubt that larger rotors help things. Being able to put 17" wheels and considering weight, means rotors are at most 340-345mm? Hopefully, they are thick.

Always go with what the manufacturer recommends. The additive packages are completely different for LL-01FE & LL-04
IMG_0929.jpeg

Always go with what the manufacturer recommends. The additive packages are completely different for LL-01FE & LL-04
View attachment 196652
Actually, if you look at VOA of BMW's 0W-30 LL-01FE it looks almost exactly like an LL-04 mid-SAPS additive package. That's just BMW TPT though, other LL01FE are probably higher SAPS. Still, that has been discussed in this thread and they are technically compatible in the US without a GPF.

BMW has been using LL17Fe 0w20 in this engine in the US for a few years now. Think of it as LL04 but in a 20 grade. BMW also allows LL01FE for this engine. It's a slightly thinner LL01.

Do not use T6. It has no business in a turbo gasoline engine.

You can use LL01, LL04, LL01FE, LL12FE, LL17FE. Basically any 0w20 through 5w40 with a BMW approval. BMW stopped recommending LL01 around 2013. LL04 was for only diesels because the US hadn't moved to ULSG. With the B-series engines BMW went to low-saps 20 grades. This engine family contains polymer coated bearings and it is quiet complicated with it's multiple cooling circuits.

The BMW 0w20 stays in grade per the handful of UOA's seen around here.

I would probably run a LL04. M1 ESP 5w30 or Shell Euro L 5w30.

Nice ride. I'm jealous. ;)
I like the M1 ESP 5w30 suggestion.

Actually, if you look at VOA of BMW's 0W-30 LL-01FE it looks almost exactly like an LL-04 mid-SAPS additive package. That's just BMW TPT though, other LL01FE are probably higher SAPS. Still, that has been discussed in this thread and they are technically compatible in the US without a GPF.
Just compare ACEA A5/B5 to ACEA C3

Back