Oil for B58 Ineos Grenadier

Outside of the artificial reality field around North America these things are huge. Mid size SUVs are RAV4 or something, but even those are a big car.

X5 is popular here too, but driven by a certain demographic that does not have a good reputation!

Sadly we are now getting RHD converted ram/silverado/f150/tundras here and they are a total joke on Australian roads. Most people here jsut laugh at the sad little men perched way up high in their monster trucks :)

Anyhoo, that’s for another day. I am still just shocked anyone would be masochistic enough to want to daily an Inios! So weird.
We found the dude driving his Chevy Luv down a modern day interstate at 55mph.

I don’t know what people think of RAM etc. But I get your point. We would like to drive Australian vehicles, but they don’t exist.
You have some Australian cars - Pontiac G8 and Chevrolet SS are made near Adelaide in South Australia and in the home market are Holden Commodores. The Police issued PPV Caprice is made here too, a long wheel base version of the above. And the Pontiac GTO also made here and is a Holden Monaro, a coupe version of a previous generation Commodore.

You also got the Mitsubishi Diamante wagon (remember wagons before all these stupid bloody SUVs took over....? :( ) back in the 90s - that was also made in South Australia.

You have some Australian cars - Pontiac G8 and Chevrolet SS are made near Adelaide in South Australia and in the home market are Holden Commodores. The Police issued PPV Caprice is made here too, a long wheel base version of the above. And the Pontiac GTO also made here and is a Holden Monaro, a coupe version of a previous generation Commodore.

You also got the Mitsubishi Diamante wagon (remember wagons before all these stupid bloody SUVs took over....? :( ) back in the 90s - that was also made in South Australia.
Hmm, I think those are American and Japanese vehicles.

We found the dude driving his Chevy Luv down a modern day interstate at 55mph.
Had to google that one! Nah, if I needed a ute I'd get an FG series Ford Falcon. These big lifted things are hopeless to use as a ute as the tray is too bloody far up! PITA to get stuff up onto it.

1717465559493.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, I think those are American and Japanese vehicles.
Not entirely - the Commodores before the G8/SS generation were adaptions of the European Opels and re engineered and built in Australia - only american content was the Buick 3.8 V6 earlier on and the high feature V6 was used (but both made here) and the LS engines were imported from Mexico. The VE/VF (G8 and SS to you) was an entirely Australian engineering job and a clean sheet.

It was used further afield in the GM empire under the first gen Camaro, but it was engineered in Australia. Sure, the engineers were employed by an american company.

The Diamante (or Magna as it was known here) was a Japanese car, but re engineered and built here.

No one over there really thinks a GTO/G8/SS is an American car - I thought they were famous for being Australian?
No. GM developed all those. BMW makes X5 in the US not Germany. I don’t think anyone claims to be American car.
But, I understand insecurities, you have to claim something.

No. GM developed all those. BMW makes X5 in the US not Germany. I don’t think anyone claims to be American car.
But, I understand insecurities, you have to claim something.
Ok, whatever. It’s a global industry anyway. I never particularly like “Australian” cars, they were generally pretty behind the times and not all that good. I didn’t mourn the loss of GM blackmailing Australian taxpayers for more and more handouts and when they packed up and left it was no great loss. The Utes were pretty useful though, and sadly they’ve been replaced with these stupid 4WD lifted “truck” things…

I totally consider an X5 to be American - nothing that obese and crass would be made anywhere else ;)

Ok, whatever. It’s a global industry anyway. I never particularly like “Australian” cars, they were generally pretty behind the times and not all that good. I didn’t mourn the loss of GM blackmailing Australian taxpayers for more and more handouts and when they packed up and left it was no great loss. The Utes were pretty useful though, and sadly they’ve been replaced with these stupid 4WD lifted “truck” things…

I totally consider an X5 to be American - nothing that obese and crass would be made anywhere else ;)
Hmmm, you just claimed a bunch of obese cars to be Australian. Your insecurities are really acting up.

*were made in Australia. We have no car industry any more.

We do however still locally-manufacture Volvo, Mack, Kenworth and DAF trucks.

The current-generation Amarok is a rebadged Ford Ranger designed and engineered in Australia and made in South Africa. Nothing VW or German about it.
Lol. So, what you saying is that VW is not German company ?
Companies do this all the time. It is not the first time Ford does vehicle for CW, or VW does it for Ford. Or companies using other companies engines etc.

Don't forget the 90's Mercury Capri...that fun, but sorry little Mazda based convertible. Always wondered how the locals managed to engineer the customary Mazda quality out of that car:) And this is from someone who has warm memories of many British Leyland products!

Lol. So, what you saying is that VW is not German company ?
Companies do this all the time. It is not the first time Ford does vehicle for CW, or VW does it for Ford. Or companies using other companies engines etc.
I’m saying if you want a German car then the new Amarok is not the one to buy as it’s not German or a VW.

Don't forget the 90's Mercury Capri...that fun, but sorry little Mazda based convertible. Always wondered how the locals managed to engineer the customary Mazda quality out of that car:) And this is from someone who has warm memories of many British Leyland products!
Yeah, that wasn’t our finest hour. Most “Australian” cars were pretty rubbish. Like American ones (which they basically were) but not as well built.

It was only really the very last of them (VE and VF Commodores and FG Falcons) where they were sort of competitive or comparable with global market cars. But by then the suv craze had taken over and no one wanted a big sedan anymore :(

We made the US market Galant here for a little bit too, called it the Mitsubishi 380. But they only made the V6 version and went after Commdore sales, where they should have made the 4 cylinder model and gone after Camry sales (we made Camrys here too). Oh well. The 380 was a pretty decent thing though, it deserved to have done better.

Back