Could Castrol Edge Extended-Performance (EP) 0W-20 SP be the best 0W-20 out there?

All of the brands, whether big or small, rely on the additive companies to do the majority of the testing and formula development. The only differentiator is that the very large companies, like Mobil or Castrol, can afford to work with the additive companies to create custom tweaks to the market ready packages specifically for them.

Whatever happened to the good old days when all there was to worry about was 10W - whatever and the latest API grade . It's amazing how many Licenses , Approvals , Requirements , Dexos Icons , and God only knows what else you have to wade through .

Whatever happened to the good old days when all there was to worry about was 10W - whatever and the latest API grade . It's amazing how many Licenses , Approvals , Requirements , Dexos Icons , and God only knows what else you have to wade through .
Actually a lot of them overlap or are derivatives, especially when it comes to ATF. Please consider that it's also a huge money maker for everyone involved.

I guarantee it's like pharmacuetical companies where their formulas are extremely confidential.
Having brother in law who worked for one out of Wilmington, Delaware I know that is the case.

It's spy vs spy type stuff that goes on in that arena.

It’s not that extreme. Everyone knows everyone at the upper levels. People move around from company to company. Once you’re in the industry, it’s hard to get out on the professional level. And people talk.

It’s really a fun industry.

Yeah that makes sense foxtrot.

Honestly foxtrot my brother in law told my family that in that world it was spy vs spy type stuff.... The possible lucrative money involved in finding legitimate, safe and effective drugs is staggering... Think like the little blue pill.... Amazing amount of money made on that.

Yeah that makes sense foxtrot.

Honestly foxtrot my brother in law told my family that in that world it was spy vs spy type stuff.... The possible lucrative money involved in finding legitimate, safe and effective drugs is staggering... Think like the little blue pill.... Amazing amount of money made on that.
I’m positive the pharmaceutical industry is way different from what I’ve seen via the girl I’ve been seeing. (Doctor/surgeon)

The oil industry on the upper end is pseudo secreative. Pcmo stuff is pretty guarded, but dinner with the right people…

Industrial stuff you basically have to share. Otherwise it can cost a lot of money doing compatibility tests. (Which you should do, anyways.) Gear oils… turbine oils.. If you’re doing a 20,000 gallon sump, you need to know what you’re putting into it.

Not really. Just pick the latest API/ILSAC oil in the grade recommended for your vehicle. Look at your oil fill cap for the grade. Your owners manual or looking up your vehicle in a major oil company's site can be your friend. We, here, tend to deviate from what's recommend and tend to way over think the possibilities.

My Supercharged Jag V6 F-Type spec's 0W-20 Castrol. Of course, nobody has many miles on these cars and there have been quite a few engine failures, some of which are oil related. The engine derives from the older Jag V8, which has been around for quite some time and used more robust oils such as 5W-40 and 5W-30.
Interesting.

My former employer has a the same type of Jag. She uses the Jag oil from the dealership and I told her to drop that like a bad habit.

What do you use currently for it? She puts around 1,500 miles per year on it. I was thinking 5W40 PP Euro.

I just put this in my truck, valvoline EP out CASTROL EP IN, the engine is happier, smoother quieter for sure, and b4 anyone say every time after oil change engine seems smoother, the oil that I dump was in the engine for only 700 miles

*Checking the Oil Grade printed on the oil cap can be misleading (in some cases) ... The "5W20" stamped on the oil cap of my 2017 Hyundai 2.4L GDI non - turbo engine has clearly got to be a CAFE recommendation . The owner's manual allows for 5W30 and 10W30 in this engine which in a GDI engine (and this engine in particular) are much safer bets .

*Checking the Oil Grade printed on the oil cap can be misleading (in some cases) ... The "5W20" stamped on the oil cap of my 2017 Hyundai 2.4L GDI non - turbo engine has clearly got to be a CAFE recommendation . The owner's manual allows for 5W30 and 10W30 in this engine which in a GDI engine (and this engine in particular) are much safer bets .
I had one of those, a 2018 model, with the dreaded 2.4L GDI. I ran 0W-40 in it without any issues. When I traded it in, I changed the oil filler cap to one that said 5W-30 so that whoever ends up buying it doesn't use 5W-20 and nukes their engine by doing an extended OCI.

Not really. Just pick the latest API/ILSAC oil in the grade recommended for your vehicle. Look at your oil fill cap for the grade. Your owners manual or looking up your vehicle in a major oil company's site can be your friend. We, here, tend to deviate from what's recommend and tend to way over think the possibilities.
The extent of my motor oil knowledge is basically from what I have read and learned on this site. That said, it amazes me that there are any significant differences in oils of the same grade to even be concerned about. Castrol, Pennzoil, Mobil, Valvoline have all been around for over 100 years. After all that time, it would seem that they all know exactly what properties an oil has to have to provide protection, fuel economy, extreme temp performance, cleanliness, long engine life, etc. From what I gather, it seems like they all can, and do, buy a pre-mixed, if you will, additive pack from Afton or Infineum and add it to their base oil and have a finished product. I'm sure this is an over simplification but is it somewhat accurate? Does cost and cost alone drive the decision to have differences from their oil as compared to what a competitor is blending?

Back