Could Castrol Edge Extended-Performance (EP) 0W-20 SP be the best 0W-20 out there?

Comparing the old and updated PDSs, I noticed that the existing ACEA-C5 Castrol Edge Extended-Performance (EP) 0W-20 SP, without reformulation, is apparently also certified for the new ACEA C6, which along with the new ACEA A7/B7, is the strictest ACEA specification, stricter than ACEA A3/B4, ACEA C2, ACEA C3, ACEA C5, etc. It also carries many European-OEM approvals.

I am now thinking that the main difference between stricter OEM approvals and less strict OEM and/or industry approvals is the antioxidant (AO) content. More antioxidant (AO) results in a longer oil-change interval (OCI) and a cleaner engine among other things. ACEA C6 and the accompanying European-OEM approvals are the strictest approvals in the world. Given the fact that Castrol Edge Extended-Performance (EP) 0W-20 SP also claims a 20,000-mile OCI due to its higher antioxidant (AO) content, it is a win–win.

I still think TGMO 0W-20 SP is also a great choice with its polyol ester (POE; solvent), high moly (AW/EP/FM), and high boron content (dispersant), none of which Castrol has. However, I doubt TGMO 0W-20 SP has a high antioxidant (AO) content like Castrol has.

ACEA-C5 and ACEA-C6 versions of Castrol EP 0W-20 SP are identical:

It is not clear in the PDSs if Castrol is actually referring to the EP gold bottle. I am guessing that this is the case because of the Euro-OEM approvals.

In addition to providing LSPI and timing-chain protection, ACEA C6 reduces the valvetrain wear by 18% with respect to ACEA C5, improves the fuel economy, and reduces the engine and turbocharger deposits.

Oronite OLOA 54720 additive package meets BMW LL17FE+, MB229.71, Volvo RBS0-2AE 0W-20, WSS-M2C947-B1, WSS-M2C962-A1, ACEA C6, and API SP/RC (ILSAC GF-6).

The HTFS/VII table lists all the Castrol 0W-20 flavors. The flavors to avoid are Castrol Edge High-Mileage 0W-20 SP and Castrol GTX Full Synthetic 0W-20 SP due to a thin base oil (BO) and a high viscosity-improver (VII) content.

They are supercharged v8s that spec only 0w-20.
My Supercharged Jag V6 F-Type spec's 0W-20 Castrol. Of course, nobody has many miles on these cars and there have been quite a few engine failures, some of which are oil related. The engine derives from the older Jag V8, which has been around for quite some time and used more robust oils such as 5W-40 and 5W-30.

My Supercharged Jag V6 F-Type spec's 0W-20 Castrol. Of course, nobody has many miles on these cars and there have been quite a few engine failures, some of which are oil related. The engine derives from the older Jag V8, which has been around for quite some time and used more robust oils such as 5W-40 and 5W-30.
The current electric supercharged and turbocharged partial hybrid I6 used by RR and Jag also specs 0w-20..~390hp from the 3L. Haven't heard of any failures yet, but I sure don't want to own one long term...

Does your v6 spec that JLR only Castrol Professional??

So how often do you use yours? What do you use in it and what oci do you follow? Just curious. No motive here. :) What color?

So how often do you use yours? What do you use in it and what oci do you follow? Just curious. No motive here. :) What color?
Just purchased a used 2017 F-Tyoe V6 S, Daily driver. It is fresh oil From the jag dealer With about 1000 miles on it. I am changing the oil this week. Prob 5W-30 or 0W-40 M1, 5000 mi OCI’s are my norm. I live in hot and sticky south FL.

prob doing the 475HP tune/pulley combo soon

charcoal color.

Hr1Chv1.jpg

Last edited:
Oronite OLOA 54720 additive package meets BMW LL17FE+, MB229.71, Volvo RBS0-2AE 0W-20, WSS-M2C947-B1, WSS-M2C962-A1, ACEA C6, and API SP/RC (ILSAC GF-6).
For some reason, Castrol/BP always struck me as more of an Afton Chemical customer.

It's quite possible. I posted the Oronite link as an example, as I couldn't find information for ACEA-C6 additive packages on the Afton website.

IIRC the Afton Chemical HiTEC 11500 is the additive package I was thinking of:
I don't think it would be a stretch for Castrol to claim ACEA C6 if they think their oil meets that specification.

1668391272277.png

1668391294151.png

Just purchased a used 2017 F-Tyoe V6 S, Daily driver. It is fresh oil From the jag dealer With about 1000 miles on it. I am changing the oil this week. Prob 5W-30 or 0W-40 M1, 5000 mi OCI’s are my norm. I live in hot and sticky south FL.

prob doing the 475HP tune/pulley combo soon

charcoal color.

Hr1Chv1.jpg
That is sweet. Gotta be nice cruise with the top down. Looks very well kept too.

@Gokhan - IIRC Castrol uses the same additive package and formulation across the entire EDGE EP lineup. That might explain the good UOAs that the Ford F150 V6 EcoBoost folks are getting with the 5W-30 version of this.

Back