Went in and cleaned out the office today... I'm "permanent - remote" now.

What a coincidence, I'm getting ready to head into Chicago to get my things from my desk today. I've been unofficially remote since 2017 (couple of days downtown, couple of days near my house, and WFH as needed). I'm full-time remote now, starting with the pandemic sending everyone home, and me making the change permanent once they started bringing people back.

I'm not a germophobe, but one thing I absolutely hated about the train commute is that no matter where I sat, the only person in the car hacking up a lung always managed to sit next to me. And then there's the 2-hour commute, each way, and that was only if things worked correctly, which in the last 10 years or so was a very rare event.

Like Donald, I'm preparing to exit the workforce 'soon', so face-time is not an issue for me. I don't plan to move any higher than I am now (and truth be told, I wish I didn't make that move) and anyone I need to deal with is not in the office with me anyway, so why should I go in?

Last edited:
I'm a bit different. I have the option of either going into the office or working from home, I'm usually in the office 4/5 days a week. I just get so bored at home. Even when there isn't anyone else in the office, I can get up and walk around, find something that needs to be done in the office to break up the day.

Good for you. We have a new regime at work, and they are demanding 100 percent in person, with no remote work.

So they are cramming folks into cramped dated offices with not enough toilets at all.

We bought this office space, so butts in seats.
A lot of older, pre-internet bosses have that attitude. "If you're not here and I can't see you, how do I know you're working?" Okay, boomer. :D

Because of the nature of my work at a production site, I have to work in person. Corporate headquarters (offices in another state) had to go to remote working because of state requirements. Those requirements have been relaxed. Now the company is discussing a phased-in hybrid system for HQ staff allowing most of those who can to work from home, and those who want to work at HQ to work there. That seems like a good plan for most employees.

Good for you. We have a new regime at work, and they are demanding 100 percent in person, with no remote work.

So they are cramming folks into cramped dated offices with not enough toilets at all.

If possible, they should have employees work remotely and lease the office space.
One person gets sick, just with a cold, and then it spreads and productivity goes down.

Isn’t having ‘office space‘ such a 1990’s way of running a business ?

Reactions: JC1
I have several siblings that have been full time WFH since Feb of 2020, one of which was WFH 1-2 days a week.
My sister has gone back to 3 days a week at the office, but the other 2 are still full time WFH, one is "indefinite", the other is WFH for at least 3 more months till he goes off to Korea (onsite construction of oil platform) for 6 months, then will be in Corpus Christi onsite for another 18 months.

My job, well, not gonna happen, I am an ER nurse.
I do know several nurses that have gone to work for some telemed services and they are able to work from home.

The younger part of the workforce will refuse to listen to the dinosaurs that think it's their way or the highway approach.

The old school management will have to adapt or realize they cannot hire the new staff to come into the office 4-5 days.

Previously the management would say WFH doesn't work...... Well 99 pct of the white collar workforce proved them wrong.

What's the excuse in 2021???🤣

Great to hear!

My mom is near retirement and just (finally!) graduated to perma-WFH due to health reasons. It has been a nerve-wracking back-and-forth over the past few years for her, considering the vast majority of her colleagues’ jobs (she’s management at a large bank) have been outsourced to India. Her experience was the first I’d heard of upper level management types being outsourced to 3rd world countries!

Anyway, this change is pushing up their timeline to move closer to us by more than half the distance (FL to MD) by more than a year, which is great for us. We’re a little miffed that they’re not moving even closer, but it’s their retirement and they and I have a long history of boating and crabbing in MD. It’ll be nice to take my kids down there to crab with pop pop, too.

If your working from home and fall can you get workman's comp?
That is NOT accurate or may not even be correct? I would suggest you talk directly to your insurance carrier or HR before you assume anything or read a members info about this that is not in the Work comp industry. It is VERY complicated!

yes. And they can then go after your HO insurance….if you have it.
That is NOT accurate or may not even be correct? I would suggest you talk directly to your insurance carrier or HR before you assume anything or read a members info about this that is not in the Work comp industry. It is VERY complicated!

well, been doing this since 1999’in NY.
I am correct. Have seen it.
workers comb board ALJ sides with employee.

And yes, very complicated.

and of course, filing a claim goes through Hr. But they better know what they are talking about or employees will quickly retain an attorney.

well, been doing this since 1999’in NY.
I am correct. Have seen it.
workers comb board ALJ sides with employee.
Ok then let me say you are not accurate.
May I ask are you involved in workmen's compensation either through the states workmen's compensation board ,Insurance providers, Medical billing ,medical facility, or hearing board? If not and you continue you responses based on perhaps a case or 2 that you were personally involved in then what you are responding with is not how it works and you may not really be helping a member that may think what you are say is accurate.
Maybe you are a Medical Coder, and if so then you should know how picky the work comp board is, or maybe an insurance company that is paying out a case, or perhaps a Doctors trying to collect on a work comp case. If none how can you possibly say you know that you are accurate and know every variable and specifically when it comes to what is and is not covered for at home workers?
I still maintain that anyone that is working at home should contact their Insurance carrier and HR or even that states workmen's compensation board and get the correct information .

I do not know all the in's and out of work comp for the state of New York nor in the state I live in Ca but I ma close to someone that is directly in the business having to do with Workmen's compensation and asked them before I respond on this thread what to say. ;)

And yes, very complicated.

and of course, filing a claim goes through Hr. But they better know what they are talking about or employees will quickly retain an attorney.
Ok well see this response indicates right away you do not understand the work compensation coverage and what is and is not covered and how it may be handled if a dispute arises in your state.

Our firm plans to bring us back after Labor Day but due to Delta and uncertainties recently they are lax on pushing people back. I prefer and can 100% do my job from home but they are very flexible with schedules so as long as client work gets done you can take time off whenever or work from home if you need to, plus it’s only 20 minute commute so it’s hard to complain.
My wife is now her own boss as a lawyer so she can do what she wants! Except for the judges that require in-person

Back