Now that Uber & Lyft destroyed taxis, they’re coming for their profits, and lowering their service…

But the same happened with taxis. Their rates went up and the service got progressively worse. I even remember taxis taking me the "long way", not knowing i had knowledge of the route. Let's not mention the condition of the interiors as well. He who doesn't evolve, doesn't grow.
Their rates went up, but they don’t have a 3-4:1 surge pricing that can be invoked at will. And the drivers are obligated to take a fare. As I mentioned earlier, I have been denied a fare once or twice at BWI. Never otherwise.

But waiting minutes for an Uber driver to be en route, just for them to drop and the clock to reset is very unsatisfactory. Particularly since if I did the same, I’d have a few from Uber.

Something new will have to come along to break Uber at this point. Driverless cars or regulation or something.
For Uber and Lyft, driverless cars have always been the end game. It just hasn't come around as fast as they thought it originally would. Taking humans out the picture will make them more profitable, even with owning the cars in-house being a thing. They will just buy enough insurance to cover damages.

I've done over 1,500 rides on Uber as a driver, back 8-9 years ago when it was new. I needed to make some extra money at that time, and I was able to do so. Used a 2007 Kia Rondo 5 passenger to drive with. The driver rates were much better back in the day, one of the reasons I never went back for more driving, my final big event was SXSW 2016. Used to be there were lots of guarantees that weren't that hard to achieve and it wasn't that hard to make $25-$30 an hour doing it. And the fees were only about 20%. Those guarantees have fallen off now due to the companies wanting to make profits, as noted in the thread title, and the Uber fees are higher from what I understand.

Nowadays, we don't use Uber that much in the US, but when we are in Brazil, it is our primary mode of transportation. It's much cheaper down there and rental cars are expensive, plus hard to park at times as we are usually in Sao Paulo.

Just got back from 10 days in Brazil and this time we rented a car because my parents were with us and there is no Uber XL in Brazil, so transporting 5 people in a single Uber is not an option. I ended up driving most of the time and it's a pain in the rear, MUCH more chaotic than driving in the US. I much preferred using Uber to driving ourselves. The only good part about it is that I liked our rental car, a Chevrolet Spin.

I’ve had Uber drivers change the radio channel from Spanish music to Country music when they see me get into their vehicle.

I’m not wearing jeans, boots, or have a cowboy hat on. 🤠

Last edited:
Their rates went up, but they don’t have a 3-4:1 surge pricing that can be invoked at will. And the drivers are obligated to take a fare. As I mentioned earlier, I have been denied a fare once or twice at BWI. Never otherwise.

But waiting minutes for an Uber driver to be en route, just for them to drop and the clock to reset is very unsatisfactory. Particularly since if I did the same, I’d have a few from Uber.
I got it now.

I've never used Uber or Lyft, don't have the app but I'm sure I'm in their system somehow. Usually rent wherever I travel to and take yellow cabs in NYC. Looking forward to when Waymo is mature enough and hopefully countrywide.

What we have done is higher our Uber driver directly for trips to/from the airport. He lives in the same town we do, about 40 miles from the airport. I pay him what Uber was charging me non-surge. I pay him in advance via Venmo.
I would make sure that your driver is properly insured and approved to do commercial driving outside of Uber.

Things could get dicey in the event of an accident coupled with your driver not having proper commercial insurance.

Your history of using the driver with Uber and Venmo payments will likely be discovered.

The way I see it is that a lot of the gig economy are trying to use gig work to get people to do business near minimum wage, and circumference the medallion monopoly.

Taxi Medallion owners who paid an arm and a leg to get the right to work for a certain pay, vs a barely making it uber driver (you're self employed instead of being an employee), are just puppet in the competition of money between big tech vs big cartel of medallion sellers.

Back