Now that Uber & Lyft destroyed taxis, they’re coming for their profits, and lowering their service…

I’m growing increasingly frustrated using Uber and Lyft.

I get the business model, and the demand based pricing. And historically it worked out. But lately, it has just gotten worse and worse.

I’m a 4.92 rated rider. I must have a few hundred trips on Uber. That’s not to say I know it all, but I have some trips in many markets under my belt. And it has just gotten progressively worse more or less everywhere. Things like:

- most every place I go has higher than normal demand. I’ve seen $10 trips turn into $30, $30 trips turn into almost $100. I’ll wait and they will drop, but it’s insane.
- revolving doors of drivers. Doesn’t matter if it’s the in (major) city $10 fare, or the longer $30-40 trip from an airport or train station. Too often it will take a LONG time to get a driver (didn’t used to be the case), and then it can change drivers a few times. Oh, and when the driver changes, the time changes, so you may have waited a number of minutes, driver changes, resets to 8-10-12 minute wait again. No recourse.
- way wrong time estimates…. You make the driver wait more than 2 mins and there is a fee. But if the app screws up, changes drivers, makes you wait… too bad.
- wrong fees. This is especially the case on trips where there is a toll.

I’ve been tempted to try to use taxis again. I have been rejected a ride on taxis back when. Only a few times at BWI airport, because the ride I needed wasn’t long enough. But the pricing isn’t that much worse in some cases, and as much as taxis are dirty and lousy, putting up with Uber is getting annoying.

Do any other frequent travelers have issues with Uber, and notice it getting worse???
At least you're not getting long hauled. We use a taxi for rides to/from the airport in Las Vegas due to fixed pricing and minimal wait for a ride.

You are spot on @JHZR2. Uber is now the only option, and nobody (MACRO basis) is pushing back on this.

Often there is a fix, a solution. In this case- I can't really find one. The answer is two have dozens of apps provide rideshares, and drivers subscribe to all the rideshare apps. Right now, a significant amount of people will simply pay.

It is important to note that what Uber does extremely well is lobby governments, and next thing Uber does well is generate revenue from an application.

You can't find a fix?

What did Uber and Lyft "fix"?

The fix is a Capitalistic solution. Some smart, business-minded people with common sense, some experience and investments could put both of them out of business within a year in today's mob-minded environment where the next best thing spreads like an uncontrolled wildfire through social media....

Full disclosure -

I've ridden in a Taxi twice. Once in DC, once in NYC. Both times were similar - someone who never spoke was driving and the inside was hotter than Hades. Both times in some nasty Crown Vic but they each got the job done - transport us from A to B in the rain....

I've never used Uber, Lyft or any other rideshare. I hate riding with people I know, I like to drive. I hate riding in the off-site airport parking lot shuttles. There's about 4 people on the planet I'm 100% comfortable with riding in the passenger seats.

I understand there's a need for these services, but it's just not for me.

100 years ago when cars were novel, almost every car owner was a freelancer doing rides for hire. The abuses there led to taxis being regulated.

Why not just drive yourself or have one of your relatives take you?

I guess It helps to have like 30 aunts uncles and cousins that live between you and the airport...

One more reason I don't like airports, big cities and being dependant on anybody for anything.

Leaving my beater at a shuttle lot is almost always cheaper than a ride to the airport and way less stress. Renting a car at my location is worth it, too.

Why would you go somewhere without family? And why didn't you drive?

J/k rent a car i guess
I'm flying into Denver to see my Daughter and two Grandsons. The flight will land at 1030pm. I will take an Uber to visit them. Getting two boys, ages six and three, out of bed, especially on a school night, and take them to the airport is not so feasible.

You can't find a fix?

What did Uber and Lyft "fix"?

The fix is a Capitalistic solution. Some smart, business-minded people with common sense, some experience and investments could put both of them out of business within a year in today's mob-minded environment where the next best thing spreads like an uncontrolled wildfire through social media....
HD, I thought about it and can't find a fix. It would be significantly easier starting an airline than an application that can compete with Uber. One thought is to partner with Bolt or Didi, two of Asia's largest rideshare apps.... actually, I like that idea, although I am being realistic when I think big money has already looked at the feasibility of Bolt and Didi in the US.

Sometimes it is simply not feasible to compete when it comes to technology. Nobody can compete with Google as a search engine. Most just throw in the towel. MSFT with unlimited cash, decided it can't compete with Google search engine. I am not aware of a single search engine outside of Google that has a noticeable market share. Imagine the money to be made if someone could compete with Google's search engine. Overnight mega billionaire. How many millions would love to dump Google's search engine. Yet, nobody has found a way.

Of note- I believe Uber is successful not because of their app or their business practices. I suspect Uber's success is they are masters at lobbying, and I suspect donations also.

Last edited:
The issue isn’t the tech - it’s the drivers. Some are fine , some suck. None are monitored. Neither were taxis outside of the largest cities.

Horse has left the barn. Something new will have to come along to break Uber at this point. Driverless cars or regulation or something.

The issue isn’t the tech - it’s the drivers. Some are fine , some suck. None are monitored. Neither were taxis outside of the largest cities.

Horse has left the barn. Something new will have to come along to break Uber at this point. Driverless cars or regulation or something.
Funny you mention driverless cars. Recently I read an article that TSLA will make as many cars as possible, regardless of automobile sales market conditions. The article stated TSLA will be using the excess built cars for the driverless marketplace, with TSLA generating revenue with every ride.

Uber has become what taxis were - dirty , expensive and unreliable. Not surprising.

Taxis were only ever good in the largest of cities so at least the coverage is a little better.
Your first sentence should include under insured too.

GON, you certainly have some points about financing and government influence. Anyone with a brain knows that you need to grease the palms to be viable.

But I was going to say that MOST consumer-driven businesses today are make or break on the fact that there is simply not enough people doing consumer-service oriented, low-to-no skill jobs with great effort, desire or any other trait other than a complete, lazy, loser. CFA is starting to show real signs of suffering because they have A) lowered their standards of hiring, B) cannot find enough high-quality people to work in their facilities.

The costs to start up and operate something like a ride share are mind boggling. It's more than an app and paying a driver $4 plus commission/tips. It's the insurance, the ins, the outs, etc.

One thing you harp on is the worst - dealing with the criminal politics at the airports in major metro areas. These are usually run by the local corrupt politicians and there's all the "disadvantaged business owner" who gets all the work. Combating these two attributes will make you do something else. The consumer suffers, but doesn't want to cure problems like these at the ballot box...

That’s true. And it isn’t necessarily the drivers that one gets. Cars are generally ok, sometimes they stink or have issues. I had one driver that was an Uzbek, spoke no English, drove 90 on a bridge that ended in a hard turn. I actually had to shout at him to slow down. Crazy.

My biggest issue is that if Uber is going to charge me some minutes in if I cancel a ride, there should be similar penalties for the drivers. Or Uber provides a credit on their own. Right now the rider holds all liability and gets charged for the slightest thing, while the driver holds no liability. And, the app has gotten worse at matching drivers, and in estimating times to find a driver, time for the driver to arrive, and then time to destination.

In NYC - I’m happy to hail a cab. Renting a car is a horrible idea for getting around Manhattan, between traffic and parking, it’s incredibly expensive and incredibly slow.

In most cities, I just go Uber Black. Black is a different level of service. I’ve had some bad Lyft rides in Boston, for example. I’ve had poor Uber rides as well.

So, it’s Black for me.

In PHX, for example, I’ve previously gone Black, and now have the name/number of the driver and simply call her personally. Lindsy. Courteous, punctual, safe. Brand new GMC Suburban.

A ride to/from PHX to my kids’ place is less than a week’s rental, with zero hassle.

Back