Many passionate American CEO's in office today like Lee Iacocca?

I was more or less too young to realize what Iacocca did for Chrylser at the time, didn't care really. I can respect him for what he did, but the company in general didn't care, it was just another example of why the US Taxpayers should let all of Detroit fail during the multiple times each one was bailed out in some form or fashion. I suspect we're about to see round 14 or 19 of that situation again, really soon.

Those big automakers in Detroit have no intent on making it by themselves, they've been bailed out so many times, not many pay attention anymore. Look at GM and Chrysler/Fiat/whoever they are called today. While there are some people like myself that vowed to never buy another GM product ever again in their life after 2008, very few saw the reason why we did. But look at human behavior in the streets today in the US and you don't have to think about it long....

To get back on topic, I'm not sure the current crop of CEOs in this country could figure their way out of a paper bag, but I don't think most of the population could, either. Again, look at human behavior in the streets today. I think the university systems have concentrated too much on a path of political indoctrination instead of wholesome education and learning, especially learning things the hard way. Your CEOs today are just like any celebrity or star of a sport, etc. - they are heavily financed since birth, they are sent to the ultimate boarding schools, they are in "business schools" in middle school, they are sent to high-grade business schools at the time of College, then sent to Ivy-League universities to get multiple graduate degrees.

IOW, they are groomed since birth, they know hardly anything outside an elite lifestyle, they have zero experience figuring things out during their 20's, 30's and 40's. Heck, most of them are some over-educated, do-nothing CEO or other C-suite officer by 35. Tell me how many second or third jobs they've worked so they could pay the power bill, buy groceries and save for a down payment by 35?
lol , how much Fox News you watch this am?

Chrysler had no darn money in 1980. Look at the R-Body (St Regis), it was a warmed over chassis from 1962. Yes they put all their eggs in the K-car and won. Ford did the same with the Taurus in 1986. GM had the X/A bodies for FWD midsize sedans and had a similar learning curve.

Iacocca's leadership was his salesmanship and reading the room-- saying the k-car had "Room for six Americans." They were built to a price point, sure, but look how often BITOG rants about people buying more vehicle than they need (can afford) these days.

Musk is an obvious contender for "loud" marketing-heavy get-psyched-for-my-product leadership. His companies are on the tip of the spear for technology, albeit with compromises, I'm sure. The General Manager at the UHF tv station I worked at had a similar level of excitement for whatever off-network programming we scrounged. He rose through sales, naturally, but appreciated technology. He was heavy into our website, into getting digital subchannels with 50-year old reruns, and would not let failure get him down. Every show he signed up for eventually got stale and lost eyeballs but he never quit hyping.

lol , how much Fox News you watch this am?

None. I don't watch "the news", of any sort. I don't listen to any news media and I don't follow any news media on social meda. What about my post seemed like it was from 'Fox News', since it triggered you so much? You seem to know what they broadcast....

Or were you just lulz'ing ?

Using the car's internal codename as a central part of the marketing was also a big change. That was intended to give customers a feeling that the company was more open about how they design and make cars, and that this car would be a lot different from what they had been selling before.

I think there are quite a few CEOs that are passionate about what they do and their companies.
That’s why they’re so good at what they do, it’s a passion. If you don’t have that passion, you’re not worth anything to the company they work for.

Doug McMillon CEO of Walmart to me is another poster child of success and well worth whatever it is he gets paid. This guy started off working a part-time job at Walmart, unloading tractor trailers.
Hard work, education, got him and recently got Walmart to where it is today.
Anything is possible in this country.

Someone who just came out of nowhere. If anyone’s interested, it’s quite a story, click each category starting with early life in the link below.

Last edited:
No.......

Lee was about money. Period. Did extensive studies on this guy when I got my MBA.

Money. Thats it.

If the industry isn't mandating it, etc. then death comes second to profit. Lee was famous for it. Cheaper to pay out a handful of wrongful death suits then to actually fix the problem. Exploding Pinto gas taks was just one example. Passionate American? Give me a break. Go talk to some of the families of the wrongful death folks that were a result of his decisions.

Last edited:
Iacocca may have saved Chrysler financially but their vehicles, like virtually all American cars during the "malaise era" of the 1980's were pathetic. The only reason people bought cars during that period is that they needed a new car and the selection from all makers was equally bad.

What the automotive industry is missing are people like Harley Earle, Zora Duntov, Carroll Shelby and John DeLorean. And probably a few others that I am forgetting.

Doug McMillon CEO of Walmart to me is another poster child of success and well worth whatever it is he gets paid.

Really?

When is the last time you've been to a Wal-Mart?

The parking lots are the same - covered in gum, I will admit there are less waxed paper cups, bags of empty fast-food garbage and less loaded diapers at the cart return cages.

But the insides of the stores are the usual - nearly empty shelves, hundreds of feet of them usually. The place generally looks like Mogadishu around any holiday, which is about every 3 weeks now.

Seems like a decent CEO could clear some or most all of that up in 6-9 months IMO.

BTW, I go in one or two WMs to look at / buy fishing tackle mostly. At times I get bathroom toiletries, mostly shampoo and contact lens solution. I'll say the fishing stuff is probably the most organized area of the store, generally because the usual suspects don't venture to that far back corner where it is in the store I go to. The parking lot is also pretty clean on the non-grocery side at the store I go to.

This store is also in one of the highest household income areas in the US as far as WM Locations.

Really?

The parking lots are the same - covered in gum, I will admit there are less waxed paper cups, bags of empty fast-food garbage and less loaded diapers at the cart return cages.

But the insides of the stores are the usual - nearly empty shelves, hundreds of feet of them usually. The place generally looks like Mogadishu around any holiday, which is about every 3 weeks now.

Seems like a decent CEO could clear some or most all of that up in 6-9 months IMO.

BTW, I go in one or two WMs to look at / buy fishing tackle mostly. At times I get bathroom toiletries, mostly shampoo and contact lens solution. I'll say the fishing stuff is probably the most organized area of the store, generally because the usual suspects don't venture to that far back corner where it is in the store I go to. The parking lot is also pretty clean on the non-grocery side at the store I go to.

This store is also in one of the highest household income areas in the US as far as WM Locations.
I agree on the fishing tackle - but they restock too often …
When I go to True Value - I grab the color that’s almost gone 😎

None. I don't watch "the news", of any sort. I don't listen to any news media and I don't follow any news media on social meda. What about my post seemed like it was from 'Fox News', since it triggered you so much? You seem to know what they broadcast....

Or were you just lulz'ing ?
He must think CNN is where the truth lies......

Really?

My post is about an American success story a businessman and good person who started working at the age of 16 unloading tractor trailers and now is the CEO of the largest employer in the United States of America with 1.6 million employees below him.

Obviously, they wouldn’t need 1.6 million. Employees if everybody hated them and even you shop there. The CEOs job is to keep growing his company and remain profitable in its respective category and he is doing that handsomely.

Last edited:
GON, Thanks for sharing. Yes, we have to give Lee credit where it is due. I also think that he was super motivated personally to get back at "The Duece" (Henry Ford The II) for firing him. Given all of the challenges of running a car company, I am still amazed that the industry is still in an overcapacity situation.....but personally I believe that is going to change within the next 5 years.

CEOs....what can we say about the modern day ones......like everything else, I think there are some whom are passionate and who run their companies with personal vision and execution. Jamie Dimon, and Marc Benioff come to mind. I agree also what was said about Doug McMillon.

For those of you that reported how bad your local WM store is, there is a easy path to report it's condition or experience back to WM HQ in Bentonville at this link https://www.walmart.com/help/store-feedback Be sure to include information on whom the manager is which can be found on any receipt from that store. PLEASE TAKE NOTE; I am not defending WM in any way, but merely want to point out that if you dont like your local situation, then put some effort into reporting it.

I love these types of posts. I can always tell when someone has a really thought-out reply, they always say "meh." followed by a vague phrase and a link.

I know very well that the US is still an industrial/manufacturing powerhouse. It's how I make my living - in the industrial sector. I know that the average person in the US would be astonished at how much manufacturing/industrial work there is going on in the US today.

What does this have to do with poorly functioning CEOs of the US? Please don't tell me they are the backbone of the Industrial Sector.
Do you honestly think the industrial output of the US would be what it is without CEO's who cared?

Obviously, they wouldn’t need 1.6 million. Employees if everybody hated them and even you shop there.

I go there mostly because it's the only place I can hit on my lunch break if I am out and about and want to kill some time that has sporting goods. I go there mostly to look...

I buy 2 or 3 bottles of Gas Perm Contact Lens solution per year. Maybe a couple of things of shampoo.

I did buy a NICE 3/4" x 100' long Contractor's grade garden hose last month. I thought it was a steal at $68. It's 100x better than the POS Flexon garden hose that Costco sells.

Other than that, I have stayed away from WM for many years. I go to the one I do because it's probably the cleanest store they have. Still, the shelves can be bare in spots. I'm just casually observing.

Do you honestly think the industrial output of the US would be what it is without CEO's who cared?

Most of the industrial output is from smaller companies, not the focus of this thread (Mega Corps). The CEOs that people speak about and know about aren't the ones helping smaller companies succeed. Most of the industrial sector isn't listed on the stock exchange.

To get back on topic, I'm not sure the current crop of CEOs in this country could figure their way out of a paper bag,.....Your CEOs today are just like any celebrity or star of a sport, etc. - they are heavily financed since birth, they are sent to the ultimate boarding schools, they are in "business schools" in middle school, they are sent to high-grade business schools at the time of College, then sent to Ivy-League universities to get multiple graduate degrees.

IOW, they are groomed since birth, they know hardly anything outside an elite lifestyle, they have zero experience figuring things out during their 20's, 30's and 40's. Heck, most of them are some over-educated, do-nothing CEO or other C-suite officer by 35. Tell me how many second or third jobs they've worked so they could pay the power bill, buy groceries and save for a down payment by 35?
This just isn't true, or perhaps better said, this is much less frequent a situation than it once was, certainly since the 70's or so, and then the tech boom really democratized corporate leadership more than any other recent event. Senior leaders of corporations come from all walks of life, but I agree that some circumstances and upbringings do provide an advantage but at the end of the day CEO's and most senior corporate leaders are there because they are tops in their field no different than a professional athlete or craftsman, as Iacocca clearly was.

I work for a small multinational and report to our CEO, they are blue collar background I believe, and I have been 1 or 2 levels removed from a CEO for the past ~20 years of my career, and I am a 'tenement rat'. Both my Wife and I are SLT, Senior Staff, "C-suite" or whatever you want to call it and no peers or anyone we regularly deal with are "do-nothings" and only a few are Ivy league and they are sharp. Her CEO also has a modest background. The Founder and CEO of the firm I cut my teeth in came from a broken home, and eventually became an Ambassador. He is one of my few hero's.

I've had the honor and opportunity to work for and most importantly learn from some very talented folks and they all had a few common qualities; they worked hard and smart, had vision, and all had the uncanny ability to digest and cull through huge amounts of data while quickly seizing on key elements. Most CEO's are rock stars....

Last edited:
Back