Oil Change Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taken Fron AOL Cover Page Today
http://autos.aol.com/ws1?ncid=AOLCOMMautoDYNLprim0003

Updated:2006-12-07 16:38:40

Oil Change Options
By TOM TORBJORNSEN

I've been getting a lot of mail regarding using synthetic motor oil in vehicles. Questions such as:

- Should I use synthetic oil?
- Does it work better in some cars than others?
- Does it cost more?
- Do I have to change the oil more frequently?
Less frequently?
- Does it make my engine last longer?

First of all, let's take a brief look at the history of synthetic motor oil and its introduction to the marketplace.
Amsoil Inc. developed the first synthetic motor oil to meet American Petroleum Institue (API) service requirements. Retired Lt. Col. Albert J. Amatuzio, President and CEO of Amsoil Inc. witnessed synthetic lubricants in action as a jet fighter squadron commander. Synthetic oils were developed for (and still are used exclusively in) aircraft jet engines because of their extraordinary capacity to reduce friction and wear on engine parts.

Learn About Cars
With over 27 years of automotive experience Tom makes learning about cars easy. Get more of his advice below:

Synthetic oil has an incredible ability to function dependably at severe hot and cold temperatures as well as withstanding rigorous and lengthy engine operation without chemical breakdown. This is critical in aircraft engine operation because, if oil breaks down at 30,000 feet, aircraft engines can fail and well, you get the picture. Amatuzio decided he would develop synthetic motor oil to be used in automobiles for the same benefits.

In 1972, Amsoil introduced the first synthetic motor oil for automotive applications. In the early seventies, another company was also working on synthetic oil development for the automobile: Mobil Oil Company. They came to market with synthetic motor oil in 1975. By the 1990's, the other major oil companies added their synthetic oils to the marketplace, in addition to their petroleum-based products.

To understand synthetic motor oil, let's look first at the origins of all motor oil.
Conventional oils come from crude oil that is pumped from the ground. In an oil refinery, crude oil is separated into various fractions. These fractions become the bases for lubricating oils and fuels. The part of crude oil that forms thick, tangled masses of carbon chains are used in roofing tar and roadwork. Very short chains and ring compounds of carbon are volatile and can be refined to produce gasoline and other products.

All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids. Synthetic blends usually use some non-conventional, high-performance fluids in combination with conventional oil. It is the unique chemical formulation of synthetic oil that causes it to be highly resistant to viscosity breakdown from high temperature, friction, and chemical contaminants.

Should I use synthetic oil in my car?
That depends on the vehicle's age, mileage and the carmaker's recommendations. Older vehicles with high mileage tend to have excessive mechanical wear in the engine, allowing for internal oil leakage. For vehicles with high mileage, it is not recommended to use full synthetic oil because it is thin and very free flowing, and use of it does (more often than not) result in internal oil combustion.

I used full synthetic oil in a Plymouth Neon. After logging 120,000 miles the car started to consume oil at an alarming rate. Concerned, I switched to a semi-synthetic oil that was more full-bodied and the consumption stopped. I logged another 30,000 miles and sold it. It's still running with more than 200,000 miles today and it doesn't burn oil.

Carmakers use full synthetics and semi-synthetics in some of their engines today. In most cases, you will find that a synthetic lubricant is used when there's a high-performance engine with tight engine tolerances, high compression and high operating temperatures. Follow your owner's manual for motor oil recommendations. If you want to use synthetic oil and your car is still under warranty, check with your local dealer before switching to synthetic oil (just to make sure you're covered with the switch).

Oil Change for Beginners
How Often Should You Change Your Oil?
Does it work better in some cars than others?
As I stated earlier, some carmakers recommend only using synthetic oil in their engines. For instance, Chevy recommends the use of Mobil One full synthetic oil in its new generation Chevy Corvette engine. I have used synthetic oil in all of my vehicles for the last six years with great results, with one exception. I didn't use a full synthetic in my Ford Taurus 3.0 DOHC V-6. Ford specifies using a 5W20 semi-synthetic due to engine design, so I followed the manufacturer's specification. Remember, before changing to synthetic oil, check with your dealer on carmaker’s recommendations.

What are the pros and cons of using synthetic oil in my car?

Pros:
- It flows easier in cold weather, therefore no loss of prime when the oil is cold. Also, it is highly resistant to viscosity breakdown (the ability of the oil to flow easily in all temps) from heat, friction and chemical contaminants. - Longer change intervals: 5,000 to 7,000 miles between oil changes (compared to 3,000 for regular oil). Some folks have documented up to 25,000 miles between changes. However, I would not advise going that long!

Cons:
- Costs twice as much as conventional oil per quart. However it lasts longer, so the actual cost increase is closer to 50 to 60 percent. - Flows easily, therefore not recommend for use on high mileage engines; nor do I recommend using it in new engines during the break-in period because it is so slippery and dramatically limits the wearing of new mating parts within the engine. This initial wearing of parts is what makes for proper engine break-in, sealing of piston rings, mating of camshafts and lifters, etc.

Does it make my engine last longer?
Yes, because it's so slippery, synthetic makes for less engine wear and thus greater engine longevity.

2006-12-04 13:53:57

Quote:

I switched to a semi-synthetic oil that was more full-bodied

Are we talking about motor oil or wine here?
beer.gif

Some of these articles are written by people that just copy stuff from one place and put it in another place. Today at a repair shop I heard a mechanic say that synthtic was too slippery and caused leaks. He was recommending a 20w-50 for a customer with a late model, slightly hopped-up Honda Civic, that had under 10k miles and looked brand new. I don't think that's what Honda spec's for this car, not by a long shot. The mechanic sounded like he knew what he was talking about, I you knew nothing about oil. I asked him about the 5w-20 that comes in the car and he said it was break-in oil and you should change to 20w-50 for long engine life. I asked him what the viscosity of his oil was at 100C and he said it was 20 weight until you got it really hot and then it turned into a 50 weight. He also said that 100C was not very hot and sometimes the oil got as hot as boiling water, and that was good because it boiled off all the mositure. If an engine's oil temp only got to 100C you would need to install a different thermostat. I want you to know that this guy is not my mechanic. And he talks to customers every day....

Quote:

For vehicles with high mileage, it is not recommended to use full synthetic oil because it is thin and very free flowing...

LOL...when will these old-school ideas about synthetic oil die!

Quote:

Yes, because it's so slippery, synthetic makes for less engine wear and thus greater engine longevity.

laugh.gif

Quote:

Longer change intervals: 5,000 to 7,000 miles between oil changes (compared to 3,000 for regular oil).

smirk.gif

Quote:

I didn't use a full synthetic in my Ford Taurus 3.0 DOHC V-6. Ford specifies using a 5W20 semi-synthetic due to engine design, so I followed the manufacturer's specification.

Wow.. All those miles I ran my Taurus on plain Conventional oil.. Must be the reason for needing the 2 head gasket jobs..
bop.gif

Quote:

In most cases, you will find that a synthetic lubricant is used when there's a high-performance engine with tight engine tolerances, high compression and high operating temperatures.

crazy.gif

So I should be using it in my 10.5 to 1 compression engine?

Guess I will not make it to 300k...
frown.gif

Normal AOL/USA today trash...
puke.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

He also said that 100C was not very hot and sometimes the oil got as hot as boiling water, and that was good because it boiled off all the mositure. If an engine's oil temp only got to 100C you would need to install a different thermostat. I want you to know that this guy is not my mechanic. And he talks to customers every day....

lmao.gif

So did you ask him what temp water boiled at?

Quote:

For vehicles with high mileage, it is not recommended to use full synthetic oil because it is thin and very free flowing, and use of it does (more often than not) result in internal oil combustion.

Why does he think that you have to use a thinner grade when using synthetic?

Quote:

If you want to use synthetic oil and your car is still under warranty, check with your local dealer before switching to synthetic oil (just to make sure you're covered with the switch).

I'm guessing he's never talked to a dealer. If he had, he'd realize you're better off consulting your dog. Of course, the owner's manual is preferred over the dog option.

Quote:

it is so slippery and dramatically limits the wearing of new mating parts within the engine. This initial wearing of parts is what makes for proper engine break-in, sealing of piston rings, mating of camshafts and lifters, etc.

I've heard this many times, so it must be correct. Now they just need to come up with some sort of "test" that will prove it.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back