Have you grown to dislike working from home?

Nope. Don't work from home Don't work anywhere. I do wear my PJs till 'bout noon.
I'm in water aerobics class on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays.
That's why the wife and I can walk 15,000 steps on vacations.....

I have the best of both worlds, hybrid. I usually work from home 1 day a week, in the office the other 4 days a week, and a few times a month I drive around the state to go to our extension offices. When I'm "in the office" I'm usually walking around campus meeting with different departments. I work in IT, but could never just sit at a cubicle all day or sit at a home desk all day, I'd go nuts.

I think it also depends a lot on the work environment and who you work with. I have a good circle of co-workers, and we communicate a lot even when we are working in different locations.

I work from home twice a week. I can deal with it, but I do get bored and productivity isn't as good.

I worked a hybrid schedule for 2 years and have been fully remote for a little over 3 years. The exception is about once per month we go in the office in person for a department meeting. It's a huge convenience to me and in my role there is honestly no need for me to be in the office in person. I've trained multiple new employees solely via video chat and that's also how we carry out most of our meetings. Phone calls and Skype chats play a big role too. Working 40 hours is truly just 40 hours when you don't have a commute. Saves time, fuel, miles on my car, and I actually get more done than I do in the office. The company that I work for has their flaws but one of their strengths is definitely that they know we are professionals who don't need to be micro-managed.

I worked a hybrid schedule for 2 years and have been fully remote for a little over 3 years. The exception is about once per month we go in the office in person for a department meeting. It's a huge convenience to me and in my role there is honestly no need for me to be in the office in person. I've trained multiple new employees solely via video chat and that's also how we carry out most of our meetings. Phone calls and Skype chats play a big role too. Working 40 hours is truly just 40 hours when you don't have a commute. Saves time, fuel, miles on my car, and I actually get more done than I do in the office. The company that I work for has their flaws but one of their strengths is definitely that they know we are professionals who don't need to be micro-managed.
Yeah you hit some key points. Working from home really depends on the ability to do your job from home, how your organization manages working from home, as well as how it impacts your work/life balance. My previous job was working for an IT contractor that managed the technology for school districts across 3 different states. Each day I'd be spending 2+ hours in the car and driving 100+ miles a day. I got used to it, and love driving, but that was time I felt I was wasting. I felt like all I was doing was working, since I'd leave early in the morning, and not get home until late.

Working from home is the ultimate benefit to so many real world challenges.

Want to save money? Working from home is the panacea of cheapness. You don't have to drive your car or even get fully dressed. You can Instantly brown bag it by opening your refrigerator!

Want to be more productive? Eliminate your commute and the human rumor machines.

Want another tax deduction? You get up to $1500 off your taxes with a home office.

I think so long as what you do isn't an eyesore or an environmental concern, you should have the opportunity to work from home. Our society would have a lower foreclosure rate, cleaner air, lower crime (fewer burglaries), and a shorter work week.

What's not to like?

Since COVID hit, everyone in the small technology company I work for has gone to working exclusively from home.
Does anyone else finding that they do not prefer the remote working lifestyle? At first it was novel and fun, but it got old fast. I have started going back in to the office the last year or more, but since I'm usually the only one there, from a social perspective, I may as well be working from home.

This introvert is missing my co-workers.
Recently retired but was an independent contractor for a while working from home. I got tired of it.
I much enjoyed the social aspects of going back to work with a group and company and when I say social, I also mean, getting out of my home office, working with co-workers and the social aspect of seeing them everyday. I enjoy being around other people and I LOVED working as well as the recognition as I was always successful in my field/fields.

My wife, who works for a well established company and now an international company based here in the USA, worked in a local "satellite" office that was eventually closed down.
Her company has these offices all over the country and world but in her case this office wasnt one they wanted to keep, so gosh about 8 or more years ago they closed it down, she continues in her same position, actually higher level position now but works completely from home. Only time she sees her co-workers is weekly video meetings and video conferencing. Anyway, she LOVES working from home and has been for some time now. It has allowed us the freedom to just, exactly 2 weeks ago move again into another new home in a nearby state without a thought in the world about her job, all we needed to make sure of is she was going to have a high speed connection within days of moving in. (her company supplies a corporate landline phone system, fairly robust dell business desktop and monitors)

I think you mean extrovert. Introverts prefer to stay away from people.

Not so sure about that. I'm pretty introverted myself, but still like the comradery of working with and interacting with my co-workers. Large groups of people, yea nope. But the people in my department and several in others, yes. I about go stir crazy when I take vacation. First couple of days are nice, but after that it gets kinda mundane.

I have been WFH since early 2020 as a programmer. I have been a programmer since the mid 90s. This profession is entirely suited to WFH.
As of right now, I will never go back.
I am also an introvert, so, it doesn't affect me. When I get stir crazy, I go into a different room or walk outside.

You have to replace that team feeling with something else like a hobby group or sports team. Maybe a volunteer club of some sort.

That's one thing I don't like about it. I prefer to have separation between work life and home life. When it's quitting time I want to be done with work for the day.
This.

All these years I had some kind of jealousy of/for people who could WFH. We would joke about it, how people would slack, etc. I wanted it though.

I am a very introverted person. People tire me. Wear me out.

Then COVID hit. I worked from home for around 6 months. First month was great. But then I hated it. I despised it. 5 more months to slog until the end of 2020. So screw it. I retired. Jan 1 2020.

My wife has been home since December of 2019 as was the plan all along. She's used to it and prefers it. She still has only met her director one time and has never met her team in person. But they are scattered all over the country as the company does not have an office.

My employer took a two week, every other day schedule in March of 2020 and has been five days a week in person since. No working from home allowed. They even have two higher paying positions they can't fill because of that policy. I have no idea what working at home would feel like. I'd probably enjoy it.

Since COVID hit, everyone in the small technology company I work for has gone to working exclusively from home.
Does anyone else finding that they do not prefer the remote working lifestyle? At first it was novel and fun, but it got old fast. I have started going back in to the office the last year or more, but since I'm usually the only one there, from a social perspective, I may as well be working from home.

This introvert is missing my co-workers.
Yes - she’s never happy with my work - the office is 😷

I worked from home the final 8 years of my 28 career. This was for a Fortune 20 company and was long before Covid. It was something I earned because of my long history of contributions to the company. It went so well that Sue and I moved away from California to another state 1,500 miles away.

But over time I grew to detest working from home. Although my job was going exceptionally well and the company was happy with my work, we decided to move back to Cali so I could return to working on campus (And we took a $200K hit to get back to Cali and move into a neighborhood like the one we left.)

Because of Covid the entire perspective of remote work is different. Before Covid you had to earn the right to work remotely, but now it's become an entitlement. Let me assure you an underperforming, or even average, remote worker will be the first to go when times get tough.

Scott

Last edited:
I am retired, so I ain't goin' nowhere.
I have worked from home off and on for a looong time. As a development programmer in custome business solutions, there were days I would slam code for as much as 20 hours in a day until that part of the project was ready. But progress would be shunted without getting the right people in the room and hammering out the business need being addressed. And I loved that.

Nowadays, some companies are requiring their employees to return to work; some employees seem to be demanding they stay home. I don't get it.

difficult to do manufacturing from home so I have worked from home very limited the last 3+ years, usually only when I had C-19. I have found that we have become more productive with people returning to the office. I like to let my team have flexible schedules as needed but I'm not a fan of the "permanent work from home" plans.

Just my $0.02

difficult to do manufacturing from home so I have worked from home very limited the last 3+ years, usually only when I had C-19. I have found that we have become more productive with people returning to the office. I like to let my team have flexible schedules as needed but I'm not a fan of the "permanent work from home" plans.

Just my $0.02
Apparently it’s not “feasible or reasonable” to have my CNC moved to my garage, have 3 phase 480V ran to it, and ship material to my house 🤣

Back