Post Covid-World work life; changes for you, or back to the same?

Thank you, and I hope you do as well. Truth be told, I somewhat was thinking if I don't find something IT, maybe try my hand at service advisor? Don't know if I'd even be considered for that type of role.

Sucks, I have been in it for 12 years and have led some pretty successful projects/initiatives. Also I get thinking (I overthink...), I wonder if WNY being so small, companies talk and there's some sort of IT blacklist... Again me overthinking.
This being 2024 and all, you shouldn't really be looking for an IT job in your area. There's likely a ton of companies hiring your position across the country and they'd be willing to let you work remote.

The company I work for has most of us IT folks here in Phoenix, but there's plenty of software developers (W2 employees) that get hired remote all over the place. We've got a server admin in Canada too, just because he was a good fit for the company. Our company does no business with Canada.

If you hire a headhunter for you, it'll probably pay off well.

This being 2024 and all, you shouldn't really be looking for an IT job in your area. There's likely a ton of companies hiring your position across the country and they'd be willing to let you work remote.

The company I work for has most of us IT folks here in Phoenix, but there's plenty of software developers (W2 employees) that get hired remote all over the place. We've got a server admin in Canada too, just because he was a good fit for the company. Our company does no business with Canada.

If you hire a headhunter for you, it'll probably pay off well.
Hmm... I really never thought of that. That's an idea. Never even heard of that to be honest. I've got to check that out.

When I moved to the service desk from being a tech I was always chasing an imaginary brass ring. Turned down for raises due to “well, you’re doing great and service is booming but sales dept profit is non existent so we don’t have the funds”. Pay plan changes so we “had the opportunity to make more money”. Changes to how we had to schedule in order to get more oil changes in during a day, which is a killer when bonus structure is based on hours sold per repair order wrote.
You're getting ripped off. Get a bunch of the guys together and march into the owners office and demand a 25% raise or you all walk. Seriously, there's like 2% unemployment and that's for everybody, and you're in a skilled trade. Toolboxes have wheels. When they dink around with the pay & bonus schedule, and not for the better, you have to nip that behavior in the bud.

Back to normal. People prefer to act like some things never happened. We were "essential" and had to report to work the whole time.
Everyone in my house had covid before Christmas. I never got it this round. Go figure.

Last edited:
My wife went from "Dont get used to working from home, no way no how" to "you arent ever coming back to an office, this is saving us money and working great" so she's running a major automotive aftermarket company out of our sunroom now.

I never stopped going into the office, I too was an essential employee (yea, whatever) in a building the size of a Walmart and for almost two years most days it was me and maybe 5-6 other people, and I loved it. Why I needed to be there I have no idea, but since rush hour consisted of me and maybe a dozen other people on the road I cant say I minded the commute one bit.

Strangely now that its over, I'm only "required" to be in the office Tues-Weds-Thurs and even at that, on any given day I'd say 40-50% of the desks are empty with people working from home, and on Mondays and Fridays its probably 80-90%. Its like as long as the work is getting done, nobody cares if you're in the office or not. Our production and revenue are through the roof so its working and I dont see them changing things anytime soon.

Hmm... I really never thought of that. That's an idea. Never even heard of that to be honest. I've got to check that out.
You definitely should chase remote however best chances is hybrid roles(even long occasional commute) over remote as entire US applies too.

I have a new hybrid role with 1 full week / month in office commitment with 50 min/48 mile commute each way.

@Nick1994 and @andrew_j how would you all go about finding either a head hunter or searching remote jobs?

Been looking indeed, linked in, sometimes monster and targeting other areas but just don’t seem to find tons.

Had what I thought was a really good lead… had a call with a recruiter whose client was a good local company. Job was perfect. But they’ve since ghosted me. Spoke on the 15th and haven’t heard back yet. Chalked it up to the holiday but I’d expect a response by now.

@Nick1994 and @andrew_j how would you all go about finding either a head hunter or searching remote jobs?

Been looking indeed, linked in, sometimes monster and targeting other areas but just don’t seem to find tons.

Had what I thought was a really good lead… had a call with a recruiter whose client was a good local company. Job was perfect. But they’ve since ghosted me. Spoke on the 15th and haven’t heard back yet. Chalked it up to the holiday but I’d expect a response by now.

You should be able to via the filters in Indeed but you'll need to change your city/location around to see what's available in other cities. I'd shoot for searching through larger cities first:

1704303464022.png

I just asked my boss, she recommended reaching out to roberthalf.com and seeing if they can help. We use insightglobal.com, can try them too.

You can search for remote jobs on LinkedIn

IMG_7358.jpg

Got to work from home a little bit for a previous job early in 2020 when everything "shut down." Early June, went back into the office. August, got a different job at the college and went in every day for 3 years. Now I'm back into teaching.

My entire company was sent to work from home on 3/16/20, except a handful of people in the fulfillment centers (need to print and mail documents) and some system admins who need to be physically in the data centers to manage hardware. The rest of us worked from home. After 20 months, I was allowed to come back to the office. I am the only one in my department (IT Support) of 200+ who comes in every day. 5 or six others come in once per week or so. I don't need to be in the office, but now when I go home at the end of the day, I am glad to be there.
One nuance that still feels strange... I have a cottage on a lake in (very) rural Ontario, about an hour from Ottawa. Several of my neighbors sold their homes in the city during covid, and live at the lake full time now. So if I want to go visit in the winter, I know our private road will be plowed.

I never stopped going into the office, and it was a glorious three years of zero traffic and a quiet near-empty building.

Conversely, my wife's local office closed so she's been working from home since it started.
3 years? I'd say the crazies went back out on the road atleast a couple years ago. It's survival of the fittest for the people that live in the city.

I do find it strange how it just disappeared overnight and nobody really mentions it except construction contractors still trying to milk every dime they can and blame it on covid.
Its still around, its just mutated to a much less lethal strain, I'm at home now with it. Out of work for a week or so.

Back