The cost of living in 2024....

I didn't want to hijack the Living in a Car thread, but this is kinda-sorta related-

My 25 year old daughter will graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Respiratory Therapy in early May. This venture was 100% financed by my wife and I and my daughter. She did work pretty much all the time she's been in college in some form or fashion and you could say she had two jobs at one point and that was during a very critical time. She mostly worked at restaurant-type places but also worked for the college athletic department as a trainer (taping up ankles, etc) while she was a Kinesiology major. She worked more or less to have some spending money and help augment her groceries, gas, etc. My wife and I paid the heavy costs.

First two years, tuition, books, campus housing/meal card - $10,000 per semester, except for the last semester of the first two years tuition assistance from the Athletic Trainer job knocked about $2500 off of that $10k.

Next year about $5k in tuition for both semesters, housing was about $500/mo, $125 in utilities, $200 in other expenditures, so about $15k/year.

She changed majors, had to take some other courses/classes, etc., applied for nursing and respiratory therapy programs, accepted to both. Chose RT. This was 5 straight semesters. Tuition was $6k/semester. By now, it's 2022 and housing is off the charts, so is food, car insurance, etc. The last 5 semesters were about $50,000 in total expenses plus whatever she spent with her earnings from working a part-time job. This includes housing, food, meds, car insurance, maintenance, fuel, tuition, supplies for college, utilities, etc., so probably somewhere along $60k total.

All told, about $130k total for her degree. She has accepted a position at a local Children's Hospital. She will work one month on day shift and then work night shift from then on. Base rate of pay for day shift is $22.66/hour and there is a $5/hour differential for night shift, where she will make $27.66.

This hospital is in a downtown urban area, a larger city and I don't want her driving 30+ minutes each way before/after a 13-14 hour shift. We've found her a 1-bedroom, ~700 sf apartment that is adjacent to the hospital....she simply has to walk out of the apartment building, down about 1/2 block to a hospital employee parking deck, where she can then traverse through that deck up to a walkway and through another deck and another walkway to the hospital.

Rent is $1500/mo, not including water, sewer, garbage, plus internet, power. Parking is included. She won't have to pay $40/mo to park in the hospital deck.

She will not make enough to live on with a Bachelor's Degree and 5 semesters of high-intensity training, education and hospital clinicals already under her, performing life-saving techniques. After $130,000 in college education expenses at a "State school", one of which most or all of you have never heard of. We will have to continue to help her out with monthly bills until she gets a year or two under her with work experience and possibly a few more certificates of training in life-saving techniques.

Nurses are about the same. I think the same hospitals in the area are starting RNs at a couple dollars more.

Something is really out of whack with college education, cost of college and living expenses today. So before you make all those lovely college campus visits, before you sign your kid up for a college education, before you commit to financing that college/party experience, know that the cost probably isn't amortizable over their careers.

This mess REALLY started a long time ago. But we won't go into that.

This stuff REALLY accelerated when higher education was deemed to be available to all, through money for the institutions through whatever - any and all pathways that worked. Tuition skyrocketed.

Appropriate guy saying to Judas and I paraphrase - there will always be poor people, sending them to college might help a very selected few, but back to jobs wanting now for people with a modicum of logic and a useful skill or trade.

No disagreement. Housing is expensive, college worse.

Not sure how "new" the problem is. I did college in the late 90's and I'd estimate that my college bill was about 1 year's starting salary for electrical engineering. It's worse now, but I'm not sure it was good then.

I think one has to be focused on a career before going to college or at least in the first year. You said she changed majors, did she not know what the salaries were going to be in the field she was going into?
The only reason colleges are expensive as some think, is people pay, just like any product. To spend that kind of money in a field she is only going to make that base pay is insane.
I am sure there must be a future with her education where she is going to make a lot more. If not why go into that field, at that pay, she will never get under the interest expenses never mind the principle. Fast food workers make a base pay of $20 an hour in some places and that is to start with no education.

I dont mean this to sound cold, but we are responsible for ourselves. If you borrow money you have to pay it back. This is what freedom is about, the right to choose your own path.

My daughter went to a very good state school. Clemson University for 4 years, same deal, worked at a local food/pub before she started her first week of college, paid off any college loans within 5 years, works 40 hours weeks 90 to 95% of it now from home for an international company. Amazing amount of time off, full benefits, doing well, created a dept for her.
Her base pay was at the time 50% higher than that $22 and maybe 4 years later double that.

My son never college material works for BMW, no college loans, incredible benefits, has a wife and two kids and a nice house, wife doesnt have to work.

I mean, the choices we make in life are our own and only ourselves can make or break it.
If people will pay it (college) as in any product, free market, free people, goes for anything in life. No one can bail ourselves out of our own decisions if and only if you want to be free. More and more the young expect to be bailed out of their own poor choices by other taxpayers. (not saying this is you, but is a mentality for many)

A local trade school could have brought in that income and more at 1/10 the cost.

Last edited:
Those in the bottom half have very little chance, IMHO.
We need to ask why? Lack of motivation? Habits , drinking beer smoking Joints and watching the Tv instead of taking classes to improve ones self then improve ones worth in the marketplace? I volunteered for m a year and a half picking up food donated by the big grocery store chains . One day I went in when they were handing out food and saw at least 80% of the people driving nicer cars than I, lots of tats and smoking. I accept that I have made mistakes over my life time yet I keep on trying to improve and not keep on repeating the same mistakes.

We need to ask why? Lack of motivation? Habits , drinking beer smoking Joints and watching the Tv instead of taking classes to improve ones self then improve ones worth in the marketplace? I volunteered for m a year and a half picking up food donated by the big grocery store chains . One day I went in when they were handing out food and saw at least 80% of the people driving nicer cars than I, lots of tats and smoking. I accept that I have made mistakes over my life time yet I keep on trying to improve and not keep on repeating the same mistakes.
This is all your FAULT. You are NOT paying your fair share!!

We need to ask why? Lack of motivation? Habits , drinking beer smoking Joints and watching the Tv instead of taking classes to improve ones self then improve ones worth in the marketplace?
Not sure, not sure if more screening is the cause or what, but it seems more people are somehow on the spectrum for autism or other issues that make it hard to do well in a social setting.

My college was mostly paid for by the high tech companies I worked for. The local Community Colleges around here are great, low cost options for the 1st two years of college.

I 100% agree with you, looking at cost before jumping in is a critical task.
By the way, your daughter could make a ton of $$ around here. Health care is huge.

Regardless, good on you for putting your daughter through school.

Last edited:
Those in the bottom half have very little chance, IMHO.
Life has never been more easy in the USA.
Trades school all over the country, people earn good living for all kinds of trades, in the medical field too. It's limitless the amount of courses and certifications that can be achieved. One TINY example Radiology and every other aspect of health care, once in, they will pay you to further your education.
Many and almost all trades will hire and pay for additional schooling.
Actually I think the bottom half have a better chance, than those who waste a lot of money on a college vs trade school.
or...
move to a state and work for an automaker with no college.
Life is what you make it, is what being a free individual is about. There is so much opportunity here. the only reason why some college is expensive is people pay it when they do not need too. Like any product.

I work for a university. The same one I graduated from in 2014, and work in the IT field. With that said, if I had to do it over I wouldn't be going to college, I'd be getting into the trades, or doing a short program to get IT certifications. I was fortunate that I graduated from school with no debt, but it was close to impossible even back then. I commuted to college while working full-time and living home, and I paid as I went. It took me 5 years. I did the math and it isn't possible today, tuition and other fees are too high.

When I was in high school, it was drilled into us that the trades were for people who "couldn't focus" in school or "make it to college". My father manages the IT for a tech high school system, and local companies will hire pretty much every student that graduates. Many of the students will be making $60k a year right out of high school, zero debt. Not bad at all for an 18 year old kid. The aerotech and welding programs are incredible, and those kids will be making even more.

Education is important, but only when applied correctly. Not everyone is suited for college, we are setting our next generation up for financial enslavement by teaching them the best path in life is to get an expensive degree in "something you like". Basket weaving won't pay the bills. When I graduated from college in 2014, I worked an entry level job in insurance, and made more from my small engine repair side business than my starting salary at that job...

I suppose it should be easier for your daughter to move up in the organization with a degree, than if she was the technician servicing the respiratory equipment(who is likely making more now). Its hard to say what's the best path when you're 17, but usually its easier to get tech training after university than a degree, but people do that as well.
Probably if you have lots of people skills, getting a degree should pay off, as you can leverage your people skills more easily and progress faster/higher.

Last edited:
My son is trying to figure that out before he graduates in a few years. He is both good in computers and drafting. Though he is looking even at the trades, whether to jump in (electrician), or keep it as a back up just in case.

I regret getting a degree, even though it is what I wanted to do. (Business). I’ve seen so many folks succeed in that with a degree. Had I known, i would have just jumped right in.

At least my kid has choices, and is well aware of what is going on in the real world……

I didn't want to hijack the Living in a Car thread, but this is kinda-sorta related-

My 25 year old daughter will graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Respiratory Therapy in early May. This venture was 100% financed by my wife and I and my daughter. She did work pretty much all the time she's been in college in some form or fashion and you could say she had two jobs at one point and that was during a very critical time. She mostly worked at restaurant-type places but also worked for the college athletic department as a trainer (taping up ankles, etc) while she was a Kinesiology major. She worked more or less to have some spending money and help augment her groceries, gas, etc. My wife and I paid the heavy costs.

First two years, tuition, books, campus housing/meal card - $10,000 per semester, except for the last semester of the first two years tuition assistance from the Athletic Trainer job knocked about $2500 off of that $10k.

Next year about $5k in tuition for both semesters, housing was about $500/mo, $125 in utilities, $200 in other expenditures, so about $15k/year.

She changed majors, had to take some other courses/classes, etc., applied for nursing and respiratory therapy programs, accepted to both. Chose RT. This was 5 straight semesters. Tuition was $6k/semester. By now, it's 2022 and housing is off the charts, so is food, car insurance, etc. The last 5 semesters were about $50,000 in total expenses plus whatever she spent with her earnings from working a part-time job. This includes housing, food, meds, car insurance, maintenance, fuel, tuition, supplies for college, utilities, etc., so probably somewhere along $60k total.

All told, about $130k total for her degree. She has accepted a position at a local Children's Hospital. She will work one month on day shift and then work night shift from then on. Base rate of pay for day shift is $22.66/hour and there is a $5/hour differential for night shift, where she will make $27.66.

This hospital is in a downtown urban area, a larger city and I don't want her driving 30+ minutes each way before/after a 13-14 hour shift. We've found her a 1-bedroom, ~700 sf apartment that is adjacent to the hospital....she simply has to walk out of the apartment building, down about 1/2 block to a hospital employee parking deck, where she can then traverse through that deck up to a walkway and through another deck and another walkway to the hospital.

Rent is $1500/mo, not including water, sewer, garbage, plus internet, power. Parking is included. She won't have to pay $40/mo to park in the hospital deck.

She will not make enough to live on with a Bachelor's Degree and 5 semesters of high-intensity training, education and hospital clinicals already under her, performing life-saving techniques. After $130,000 in college education expenses at a "State school", one of which most or all of you have never heard of. We will have to continue to help her out with monthly bills until she gets a year or two under her with work experience and possibly a few more certificates of training in life-saving techniques.

Nurses are about the same. I think the same hospitals in the area are starting RNs at a couple dollars more.

Something is really out of whack with college education, cost of college and living expenses today. So before you make all those lovely college campus visits, before you sign your kid up for a college education, before you commit to financing that college/party experience, know that the cost probably isn't amortizable over their careers.
Like many things these days, the rise in the cost of a college education has far outstripped the rate of inflation. I went to the University of Texas at Austin in the early 90s and my tuition was never more than $700 a semester. Housing was cheap. You could realistically put yourself through school on a part time job. Nowadays, the tuition is more along the lines of what you state. They have a crapload of brand new buildings. I was fine sitting in the old 1940s wooden chairs in the old buildings, when I went to school there.

They say in the ads during the football games and other sporting events that their goal is to be the world's most important public research institution. In my opinion that is wrong. They need to focus on educating the next generation of knowledge workers for our state and our country at a reasonable price. They have a multi-billion dollar endowment. I have stopped giving them money, in fact a number of years ago. In my opinion they don't need it. I'm a Texas Ex Life Member, but I don't give the ex-students association money anymore either.

I have to give them money to keep my football tickets. But if my buddies said they didn't want to go anymore, I'd be fine quitting tomorrow. The tickets went up $150 this year. It's all a big money grab. They made the CFP last year, so what. They're going to start getting umpteen million more dollars from the SEC starting next season. I don't know how they can sell 102,000 tickets at these prices, the cost of a seat in the lower bowl when you put in the seat price + what you're required to give to the Longhorn Foundation is inching closer to $1000 per seat for the season every year. I'm just lucky because I've had my tickets so long, I don't have to give them quite so much money. I'm sure if you walked up today, the cost of season tickets in the lower bowl between the Foundation and the actual ticket price would be over $1000.

I would probably not send my kid to Texas unless they were on an athletic scholarship or other full ride. I expect private institutions to be expensive. The state schools being this expensive, what is the point of even calling themselves state schools anymore? You got me.

FWIW, $700 in January 1995 dollars is worth $1428.62 in December 2023 money. Yeah.

Last edited:
It’s unfortunate rent doesn’t come directly out of your taxable income like the interest and other bs associated with a mortgage.

If your daughter could get her work to shield some of her income as per diem (for rent whatever) that could reduce the taxes she pays.

I suppose it should be easier for your daughter to move up in the organization with a degree, than if she was the technician servicing the respiratory equipment(who is likely making more now). Its hard to say what's the best path when you're 17, but usually its easier to get tech training after university than a degree, but people do that as well.
Probably if you have lots of people skills, getting a degree should pay off, as you can leverage your people skills more easily and progress faster/higher.
This is true in many cases, but it doesn't stop with just a degree. My sister works in a biotech company. She has a Bachelors, but now she is kind of stuck because she can't really move up the chain without getting a master's, and then later on a PhD.

No disagreement. Housing is expensive, college worse.

Not sure how "new" the problem is. I did college in the late 90's and I'd estimate that my college bill was about 1 year's starting salary for electrical engineering. It's worse now, but I'm not sure it was good then.

Also, looking at all the money schools spend in non-academic programs it's no wonder tuition is so expensive.

Back