UTI's are bad. Could cranberry and d-mannose help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read from some very reliable sources that d-mannose is effective as well as regular alka-selzer and lots of water during the day..

My mother has chronic UTI's and has had sepsis due to them . She takes Methanimine 2x a day as a preventative medication and uses the estrogen cream . The combo has greatly reduced the UTI's . I think kidney function is a factor in using this medication long term .
She's been on it for a few years and monitors her kidneys . Hope this helps .

Some times we get a warning a UTI is about happen when a glass of water has a swampy odor. A few ounces of cranberry juice every morning helps here. Can`t seem to find any low sugar tho.

Bacteria in the bladder feed off the sugar in your typical grocery store cranberry juice. This is particularly problematic for people with diabetes, but still affects the general population to an extent. You could juice cranberries, but that would be extremely tart. I think a cranberry supplement would be better.

Bacteria in the bladder feed off the sugar in your typical grocery store cranberry juice. This is particularly problematic for people with diabetes, but still affects the general population to an extent. You could juice cranberries, but that would be extremely tart. I think a cranberry supplement would be better.
That's smart, I saw him (I was in his kitchen withhim) drinking a jug of commercial cranberry juice. 10:1 it had high fructose corn syrup.

Many here know my wife has had some serious health issues. Liver and kidney transplants, a perforated stomach causing massive infection. Her latest issue now is reoccurring UTI's. She has had 3 in the last 2 months. They turn to sepsis fast so she has been in and out of the hospital. She has even developed some antibiotic resistant bacteria unfortunately.
Due to organ transplants she has to be on anti rejection drugs that weaken her immune system. There's no way anybody but the doctors familiar with her very complex situation can make an informed recommendation. I know that cranberries affect fat metabolism and I would worry about cranberry products to potentially affect the efficacy of the anti rejection drugs. I would consult a pharmacologist in addition to the doctors who are treating your wife.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back