Sepsis is no joke!

Sepsis kills a whole lot more people than we could ever think about.

Urinary tract infections being one of the biggest causes in our older adults.

Once an infection goes into the blood stream… it is a ticking time bomb that when it goes off… it’s can easily be game/ life over. And that can happen extremely quickly in some circumstances.

Hardest thing I ever had to do… I had to tell my own mom that the person ( her mom ) who she loved most dearly in this entire world… There was no coming back and that she would not and could not over come being septic… My grandmother passed away 2 days later.
It's a tough thing to catch before it's too late. A great reminder to love the people you are close to and let them know it often. I watch my wife get calls in the night as residents pass away and the CMA get really upset about losing a resident. It's heartbreaking and sad; but to them I say be glad you opened your heart to these people and got to laugh and hear their stories. Healthcare might be the most underappreciated workforce and they definitely don't get the respect they used to.

I can use any prayers from the BITOG members who dont mind offering some up. Appreciate any that come my way. I have been in and out of hospitals since end of November , barely able to leave home except for Doctors visits and tests, etc.... Started out with something I did not even know existed , BLADDER STONES with a UTI so bad I was in near coma and out of my head for 7-10 days. Do not even remember those days in hospital. Wife had to fill me in on all I had been thru. She said it scared her pretty good when I started to talk to myself in my hospital bed and did not even know her. It is wild/scary I remember none of that. Never had anything like that happen in 47 years we been together. Have been thru 3-4 proceedures and surgeries in advance of a prostate reduction (badly inflamed-no cancer) surgery coming up. Next week is going to be the 4th time they modify what they did to me in November (a precautionary nephrostomy-surgery) with valves and tubes coming out of my back until I can have the prostate surgery done in mid March. Thanks in advance to anyone who believes in prayers. I certainly do even though I do not practice any formal religion. I certainly can not wait to have this behind me so I can attempt once again to keep up with those grandkids of mine. Barley have seen them at all since Christmas and I was used to at least one or more of them spending the weekends with us. Hope the majority here are in better shape than I am now.

It's a tough thing to catch before it's too late. A great reminder to love the people you are close to and let them know it often. I watch my wife get calls in the night as residents pass away and the CMA get really upset about losing a resident. It's heartbreaking and sad; but to them I say be glad you opened your heart to these people and got to laugh and hear their stories. Healthcare might be the most underappreciated workforce and they definitely don't get the respect they used to.
I often wonder where on earth the many great people in healthcare professions come from. Those jobs are clearly not to be taken lightly and not just anyone can handle the toll it takes on some. I recently had a long talk with one of my nurses who told me she was so conflicted because she "cares/feels" too much and thinks she will have to quit due to the effects it is having on her. She is such an amazing / competent nurse I can't imagine her not doing the job.

You got it Sammy! Lifting you up.

Modern healthcare is such a life changer. Half of us would be dead at our current age without it. My wife wouldn't likely have lived through the birth of our first kid.

You got it Sammy! Lifting you up.

Modern healthcare is such a life changer. Half of us would be dead at our current age without it. My wife wouldn't likely have lived through the birth of our first kid.
Thanks, very much.
I get it. My wife ended up having a surprise, near emergency C-section for our first son. Shook us up for sure. We were mere kids at 21. What? Today I guess that is considered as old timers. Babies have babies these days.

Yup, I almost died from it, back in the dark ages of the 1960s.
Appendix wasnt diagnosed until the third day when it ruptured. I remember it almost like yesterday, it was surreal. Went septic.
In those days doctors made house calls. He examined me then spoke to my mom, I snuck around the corner of the wall, I hear him telling her she has to get me to the hospital right away. I was in 4th grade.

Everything from there on in was a blur. I remember waking up in the hospital, tube up my nose, IV glass bottle on one side and IV blood on the other, drifted in an out of consciousness for days. They were draping my body with towels that were soaking in rubbing alcohol and ice in a metal tub to get my fever down. Constant shots of whatever antibiotic they had back then.

Two weeks later (or less) a second operation trying to clear out my abdomen, always taking X-rays to see where any "masses" were. 4 weeks later I was released from the hospital, they thought good enough to go home and the threat of a virus or something was going around the hospital and wanted me out of there.
I was at home for another month.

Mom told me years later when my parents asked if was going to be ok/live he told them "only god knows"

I know the story so well because I repeated it many times, even to doctors today. They inquire about the two scars, one quite large on my abdomen. I couldn't get stitches because they had to leave the cuts open. Almost on a daily basis in the hospital they would insert metal sicks and feel around my insides I guess to see if the infection was going down and to let the absess out or something. They would peel up the bandages and I would actually see them sticking the metal rods in. (I was brave back then and would watch*LOL*)

Things much improved now a days but if you have a kid (like I was) who never complained when they got sick, dont wait too long to get them to a doctor anyway.

Yup, I almost died from it, back in the dark ages of the 1960s.
Appendix wasnt diagnosed until the third day when it ruptured. I remember it almost like yesterday, it was surreal. Went septic.
In those days doctors made house calls. He examined me then spoke to my mom, I snuck around the corner of the wall, I hear him telling her she has to get me to the hospital right away. I was in 4th grade.

Everything from there on in was a blur. I remember waking up in the hospital, tube up my nose, IV glass bottle on one side and IV blood on the other, drifted in an out of consciousness for days. They were draping my body with towels that were soaking in rubbing alcohol and ice in a metal tub to get my fever down. Constant shots of whatever antibiotic they had back then.

Two weeks later (or less) a second operation trying to clear out my abdomen, always taking X-rays to see where any "masses" were. 4 weeks later I was released from the hospital, they thought good enough to go home and the threat of a virus or something was going around the hospital and wanted me out of there.
I was at home for another month.

Mom told me years later when my parents asked if was going to be ok/live he told them "only god knows"

I know the story so well because I repeated it many times, even to doctors today. They inquire about the two scars, one quite large on my abdomen. I couldn't get stitches because they had to leave the cuts open. Almost on a daily basis in the hospital they would insert metal sicks and feel around my insides I guess to see if the infection was going down and to let the absess out or something. They would peel up the bandages and I would actually see them sticking the metal rods in. (I was brave back then and would watch*LOL*)

Things much improved now a days but if you have a kid (like I was) who never complained when they got sick, dont wait too long to get them to a doctor anyway.
Sounds close to a story I heard recently. The wife always ends up with life long friends (parents of many kids she has taught) who mostly come from large local families. The school she teaches at is almost 100 yrs old so many of the parents and grandparents of her kids also attended the same school when they were young. She long ago (40 yrs now) quit her original work as a hospital dietician and went back to school (no loans or free tuition) as we paid for all of the 2-3 years she was back in college taking her education classes. She just told me a story about the 67 year old grand parent of one of her current students. He ended up moving back home once retired to be around his family and grandkids. So , he fell badly ill and was going back and forth to local Doctors and Urgent Care and they kept brushing him off "oh, just take it easy and you will get well soon as you just have covid symptoms like everyone else etc..." NOT! A week later he ended up in the hospital. He was told he made it just in time with a burst appendix. Story is he was touch and go for several days after the surgery. Very lucky they told him.

Sounds close to a story I heard recently. The wife always ends up with life long friends (parents of many kids she has taught) who mostly come from large local families. The school she teaches at is almost 100 yrs old so many of the parents and grandparents of her kids also attended the same school when they were young. She long ago (40 yrs now) quit her original work as a hospital dietician and went back to school (no loans or free tuition) as we paid for all of the 2-3 years she was back in college taking her education classes. She just told me a story about the 67 year old grand parent of one of her current students. He ended up moving back home once retired to be around his family and grandkids. So , he fell badly ill and was going back and forth to local Doctors and Urgent Care and they kept brushing him off "oh, just take it easy and you will get well soon as you just have covid symptoms like everyone else etc..." NOT! A week later he ended up in the hospital. He was told he made it just in time with a burst appendix. Story is he was touch and go for several days after the surgery. Very lucky they told him.

Always go to ER so they can do blood and urine testing (Siemens chemistry analyzer) for infections / heart attack …… not just “sleep it off and take an Advil” at an Urgent Care.

Last edited:
Back