Hiring a kid for snow removal VS grown men

Local Facebook group advertised a gal wanting to do yard work for cash 2 years ago. Messaged her about picking up walnuts in my back yard, and she said she would be right over. I waited outside, a young lady pulled up riding a bicycle. I never asked her age, but expected an older gal! Was a heck of a good worker, did the job and I paid her well.

As a kid, I mowed lawns and shoveled snow. Been there and done that. Most kids don't want to work anymore and have no ambition. We had about 6" of snow the other day, and I saw her Dad on Facebook for the kid saying she did snow removal for extra cash. Gave me her cell# to contact her with a text.
Guessing she is maybe 15 or 16 years old now.

Who would you hire? I'm leaning towards the ambitious kid. Other options are the lawn guys that do snow in the winter.
I have a very nice snowblower, but I am not turning a teen loose with that. So it would be shovel only for her. What say you all? We are supposed to get another 6-9" snow Friday.

With that much snow in your climate, I'd have a contract with a local removal company. My wife works in personal injury so we're not messing around with any potential lawsuits for a slip and fall or an injured worker. Just the way the things are today.

Luckily, my neighbor takes care of our snow. He loves it.

Last summer a high schooler wanted to work during his summer vacation; he offered to power warsh our driveway at out Petaluma house. I said sure. Kid did a fantastic job and even cleaned the sidewalk and older fence gate. I've never seen him; a neighbor was helping him by asking us (we don't live there). I tipped him well as the work was stellar.

This kid is going places.

At our Los Gatos home, 2 teens(?) knocked on the door offering to paint our house # on the curb. After a few questions, I said sure. The result was top notch. They got a well earned tip.

I admire and support these young people.

Probably more reliable than the contractors anyway.

Mowing lawns was how I bought my first car.
That's why I am leaning towards the kid. We are a small town. Most either know each other or someone else who knows you.
She was a nice kid and good worker when she did my walnuts. I would expect the same for snow. We had no grown men driving fancy pickups and doing it for a living back then. Either do it yourself, or hire a kid. How the world has changed in my 69 years.

I used to do the same as you @Jdeere562. A group of us neighborhood kids would work together during the heavy snows. If you were real lucky, one of us would be able to use or borrow a snowblower. Had lots of lawn mowing jobs in those days too.

These days, you keep who ever shows up and does a decent job. You just never know.

I used to do the same as you @Jdeere562. A group of us neighborhood kids would work together during the heavy snows. If you were real lucky, one of us would be able to use or borrow a snowblower. Had lots of lawn mowing jobs in those days too.

These days, you keep who ever shows up and does a decent job. You just never know.
I was hired once, to scoop snow from a guy raising hogs, from a place on the edge of town, after a blizzard. Scooped snow at least 2, maybe 3 days. Had these little pens with a few hogs each. Snow piled up and drifted at least 3' high. I was maybe 16 years old, think I had a license to drive. There were 3 of us doing it all day. This was in the early 1970's.

We dug thru the snow and probably pitched close to 50 dead hogs over the pens, once you got thru the snow. Farmer hauled them off with a loader. Lot of pork went to waste.

Knowing what I know now, probably should have thrown one or two in my car and butchered them. They died because of excess snow, so they were iced down pretty quickly. But then again, back then, I had not butchered a large animal, so had no clue.

Reactions: JTK
I am not able-bodied any more. All I can do to walk inside the house anymore. Been several weeks, since I have been out of the house.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe a licensed physical therapist could help.

As for snow removal: I'm leery of hiring people for anything who aren't licensed and insured. I've known of several slip-and-fall lawsuits that didn't end well for the person just trying to help someone make a bit of extra cash...

That's the world we live in today.

When I was young, like fifty years ago, if a kid wanted pocket money he was expected to work for it.
I got an allowance but was expected to cut the grass, shovel out the driveway and take out the trash.
I cut lawns, shoveled snow and delivered newspapers (remember those?) and later part timed at the library shelving books. Good times that taught me both the value of a dollar and the value of a work ethic.
I'd gladly pay the young lady to engage her services in clearing the snow. She shows positive qualities in offering to do so.

Grown men will likely clear any excess snow at a faster rate. Kids, on the other hand, may do it for cheaper since they have fewer financial obligations (and they may not know the true value of their effort).

My advice: Find some young guys who have families to feed.

Hire them. No lawns or snow where i live, i paid for my first car by digging up septic tanks, fixing stuff, and setting mouse traps for one lady that my aunt worked for.

I made lots of money growing up doing manual work. I was making $20/hr or more as a high school kid in the late 90s. Probably made more than that shoveling snow as a middle schooler in the mid 90s.

I saved and earned enough to buy a brand new S-10 ZR2 (with some help from my parents) my senior year.

So I’m all for finding kids who want to work, and paying them well.

I wouldn't feel comfortable having a stranger's kid do manual labor for me, even if it was a paid gig.
Unfortunately this can be an attorney's dream come true.

I used to deliver papers and shovel snow.

One time the owner of this large piece of property called early in the morning on a weekend and had me shovel a 250' long sidewalk. It was maybe 5" of snow, now bad but after $250' it was quite a work out. I didn't mind it was on the way to my bus stop. I got $20 for the whole job and was happy at the time but it should have been double now that I think of it!

Back