Getting married; where to live?

Test her out before marriage now that she lives with you. Is she tidying up, cooking for you or at least offering to do so? Does she display good nurturing instinct and habits?

If not, it’s not going to change much with kids and it may get worse. Like I saw with some of my friends. Their wives treated pregnancy like some sort of sickness. Could not lift a finger because pregnant.

Sure, I could donate my estate to some charity. Trust me, that's not the same as providing for family.
I agree...
I went to visit an older (87) neighbor in the Nursing home today before leaving for Florida right after Christmas. I hope I never need a Nursing home for several reasons....one being that they take all of your savings and then you get it on the arm (of the taxpayers)....

To the OP: I know you mentioned that the Royal Bank owns your home (mortgage) so I guess the next question is ....How secure is your income?....how about hers? Remember that most marriages break up over money I'm told.

Before meeting me, Sweetie was in a twelve-year relationship. The fellow, when asked to what he attributed their longevity, replied "Separate bathrooms."

After being together for about the same number of years, I was asked the same question. My response: "Separate houses."

It worked for us.
So do you each file separately and claim head of household so that both houses get mortgage deductions as well? If so: well played, sir. Well played. 🤣

I agree...
I went to visit an older (87) neighbor in the Nursing home today before leaving for Florida right after Christmas. I hope I never need a Nursing home for several reasons....one being that they take all of your savings and then you get it on the arm (of the taxpayers)....

To the OP: I know you mentioned that the Royal Bank owns your home (mortgage) so I guess the next question is ....How secure is your income?....how about hers? Remember that most marriages break up over money I'm told.

My job is fairly secure, truck driver.
I've been offered 7 other jobs this year alone, shortage of drivers. Where I'm at now, there is 8 drivers, and i rank 4th in seniority of the 8.
Girlfriend has a full time job for the city, they are short handed, so she generally gets some OT every week.
Nothing is for sure, but we are about as secure as we can hope to be.
It was her who brought it up, and offered to pay the electric, gas, and buy all the groceries for us 3, and the dog food for my St. Bernard.
I said that is great, thanks.
Saves me going grocery shopping which I hate.
Plus she drives right past several grocery stores on her way home daily. I do to, but its harder to stop in the truck, and when I'm working it's typically 13 or 14 hour days, so I'm tired, dirty, sometimes really dirty, and hate crowds.
I stopped at the store a couple months ago after a day of crawling around in the mud 6 times that day chaining up, and taking them off. The looks I got from people were of horror, and made me laugh, I probably didn't even look human, but more like a mud monster.

I've been offered 7 other jobs this year alone, shortage of drivers. Where I'm at now, there is 8 drivers, and i rank 4th in seniority of the 8.
Girlfriend has a full time job for the city, they are short handed, so she generally gets some OT every week.
It was her who brought it up, and offered to pay the electric, gas, and buy all the groceries for us 3, and the dog food for my St. Bernard.
Plus she drives right past several grocery stores on her way home daily. I do to, but its harder to stop in the truck, and when I'm working it's typically 13 or 14 hour days, so I'm tired, dirty, sometimes really dirty, and hate crowds.
I stopped at the store a couple months ago after a day of crawling around in the mud 6 times that day chaining up, and taking them off. The looks I got from people were of horror, and made me laugh, I probably didn't even look human, but more like a mud monster.
Probably the best advice I’ve ever heard on the topic, and wish I had heard it before I made my first marriage, was:

Don’t settle for the woman you can live with. Pursue the woman you can’t live without, for the rest of your life.

In no way am I saying this is your situation, but don’t settle for convenience because it fell into your lap. A good marriage takes 100% from both people; the 50/50 ideas are gonna end you up in divorce court and likely separate you from a majority of your money. Ask me how I know… 😭

Probably the best advice I’ve ever heard on the topic, and wish I had heard it before I made my first marriage, was:

Don’t settle for the woman you can live with. Pursue the woman you can’t live without, for the rest of your life.

In no way am I saying this is your situation, but don’t settle for convenience because it fell into your lap. A good marriage takes 100% from both people; the 50/50 ideas are gonna end you up in divorce court and likely separate you from a majority of your money. Ask me how I know… 😭

She is amazing!!!

After reading your response and seeing that you're about as financially secure as a young person can be in today's 'globalist' world.... I'd say go for it if she makes you happy.

This. She’s not just my wife, but also my best friend, a great mother who doesn’t get nearly enough credit raising our 4 sons, and so many other amazing things.

Back