Went in and cleaned out the office today... I'm "permanent - remote" now.

Well, I went in today and cleaned out my office, and made it official. My status is now what they call "permanent - remote". They offered it to me, and since I've already been doing it for 18 months now (starting when we were originally told the big lie to "go work from home for 2 weeks" last February), I figured why not.

For the foreseeable future, I'll just keep working from home, for at least as long as everything stays screwed up. Right now, if I go to the office... a mask is mandatory, all the time. No thanks. No masks are required inside my home. Plus, while everyone has been gone for the past 18 months, they decided to put up surveillance cameras around the entire building, inside and out. It is now creepy as all hell.

One upside of this is that I will be able to continue saving about $700 a year in parking fees... while my vehicles sit in the garage. So, the savings in parking fees and gasoline is the same as a raise for me. Plus, I am able to go for a bicycle ride on my lunch hour, every day. Can usually get in 14-15 miles. It helps that I'm only a 3 minute ride from the open countryside. That has done a lot for my mental health, and has done a lot to keep the weight off as well.

So, I guess I'll see how long this "go work from home for 2 weeks" *really* lasts...
ugh that would be so legit

Based on ratios, the 85-20. Of course if we're getting technical we have to talk income tax :)

Well housing isn't deductible so it's a moot point.

The fact remains, if companies choose to implement permanent wfh policies, it's because they see a benefit from it, and not just to make their employees happier.

Not every type of work can be done remotely. I realize that, but some messages here seem to imply job loss.
Just because your work can be accomplished from home, doesn't mean your job is in jeopardy by your employer hiring more people at less pay in another country.
You have to know how to do your job, whether through training, experience, education or all of the above.

When I was doing field service I was driving 25K miles per year.
Luckily I had bosses that never questioned all my extra over time I put on my timecard.

Today I couldn’t see myself driving 25K miles per year in a company car like I did in the past.

Reactions: JTK
When I was doing field service I was driving 25K miles per year.
Luckily I had bosses that never questioned all my extra over time I put on my timecard.

Today I couldn’t see myself driving 25K miles per year in a company car like I did in the past.
We went from a taxable car allowance to mileage reimbursement. I still have to record my mileage, but now the IRS is not involved in the transaction.

Now that I'm WFH, all my miles count. Prior to that, I had to deduct the first 32 miles of each work day as they were my "commute" to the office.

Now that the office is in my home, all the miles count.

Never had the company car as most items I carry are small, disks, DIMMs. The occasional large system board, but usually small stuff. I buy used, higher trim level cars and make about $0.30 over my costs in mileage reimbursements when I use my car for work.

Another ‘behind the scenes‘ type of career field that folks don’t think of when it comes to healthcare and hospitals.

👍

I know of a few hospitals in Florida that their oxygen supply ran low and they had to stop admitting patients, true story.

The same hospitals I mentioned are now monitoring their oxygen supply every 6 hours.

Yes, it’s that bad and they are getting antsy day to day with a big increase in demand.

Well, I went in today and cleaned out my office, and made it official. My status is now what they call "permanent - remote". They offered it to me, and since I've already been doing it for 18 months now (starting when we were originally told the big lie to "go work from home for 2 weeks" last February), I figured why not.

For the foreseeable future, I'll just keep working from home, for at least as long as everything stays screwed up. Right now, if I go to the office... a mask is mandatory, all the time. No thanks. No masks are required inside my home. Plus, while everyone has been gone for the past 18 months, they decided to put up surveillance cameras around the entire building, inside and out. It is now creepy as all hell.

One upside of this is that I will be able to continue saving about $700 a year in parking fees... while my vehicles sit in the garage. So, the savings in parking fees and gasoline is the same as a raise for me. Plus, I am able to go for a bicycle ride on my lunch hour, every day. Can usually get in 14-15 miles. It helps that I'm only a 3 minute ride from the open countryside. That has done a lot for my mental health, and has done a lot to keep the weight off as well.

So, I guess I'll see how long this "go work from home for 2 weeks" *really* lasts...
Does your company allow you to expense any items such as monthly Internet charges or a chair or wide monitor?

Back