Have you grown to dislike working from home?

I guess I’m a rare breed, I thrive when I’m left alone and treated like an adult versus being micromanaged.
Same here. I did WFH for a little bit during COVID, but it changed to a "you've gotta be on-site to do X, Y and Z".

During COVID, work was horrible, I remember the summer of 2020 staying up until 1am for months straight figuring out new systems I had to implement. God did that suck. Never again will I work under the guise of "well I'm happy to have a job and I'm happy to pitch in/do my part because this whole situation is scary and I'm happy to help". Never again.

I kinda despise IT now. I think back, my happiest time was working in a pizzeria. That sounds fun right about now. Large cheese and pep, well, double wing hot and crispy extra blue cheese.

Same here. I did WFH for a little bit during COVID, but it changed to a "you've gotta be on-site to do X, Y and Z".

During COVID, work was horrible, I remember the summer of 2020 staying up until 1am for months straight figuring out new systems I had to implement. God did that suck. Never again will I work under the guise of "well I'm happy to have a job and I'm happy to pitch in/do my part because this whole situation is scary and I'm happy to help". Never again.

I kinda despise IT now. I think back, my happiest time was working in a pizzeria. That sounds fun right about now. Large cheese and pep, well, double wing hot and crispy extra blue cheese.

Best jobs are the ones you can leave at work. No "projects", no "due dates", etc.

Go to work, make pizzas, go home.

Go to work, plumb some stuff, go home (my son has said he wants to be a plumber instead of going to college)

etc.

Best jobs are the ones you can leave at work. No "projects", no "due dates", etc.

Go to work, make pizzas, go home.

Go to work, plumb some stuff, go home (my son has said he wants to be a plumber instead of going to college)

etc.
Your son totally has the right idea. And you always hear the demand for skilled trades. Plus I don’t think plumbing is something going away!

Anecdote. Around and behind Seattle:

Trailheads week days pre-covid: a couple cars. MAYBE
Same trailheads during WFH week days: Absolutely nowhere to park. People everywhere, total zoos.

Never any different the entire 2020-2022

Hmmmmmmm...............................

Your son totally has the right idea. And you always hear the demand for skilled trades. Plus I don’t think plumbing is something going away!

100%.

Its funny how even just 5 or 10 years ago, it was always "college college college", now I tell people my son wants to be a plumber and they practically start applauding.

Ridiculously proud of him for standing up and saying college isn't what he wants to do, no matter how many people he has heard say he should.

100%.

Its funny how even just 5 or 10 years ago, it was always "college college college", now I tell people my son wants to be a plumber and they practically start applauding.

Ridiculously proud of him for standing up and saying college isn't what he wants to do, no matter how many people he has heard say he should.

Lots of trades pay well and no need for big college debt.

I was posting some trade jobs in the past here at on BITOG for my employer a while back.

Last edited:
So much of it depends on your own productivity and the nature of your job. I love the hybrid schedule, it keeps things different and I can still be productive when at home. In many cases I'm actually more productive just because I'll spend more time working instead of being interrupted. My staff also do a hybrid schedule depending on their specific roles, and many share the same feeling. Instead of someone having to take an entire day off work for a doctor's appointment, they are free to take the time off for the appointment, and work from home the rest of the day.

The whole idea that staff are more productive in the office is silly, I find that people who aren't productive at home usually aren't magically more productive in the office. This obviously depends on your job, I work in IT where most of what we do aside from physical hardware changes can be accomplished remotely.

Back