Seventeen TSBs and counting for the 2022-2023 Tundra

TSBs are not as severe in terms of concern as recalls; that's true. But there certainly are problems in some of the "design, engineering or manufacturing" topics in the TSB list. Let's not make a mole-hill out of the mountain ...

Things are not operating as they should, or have the potential to fail. And while some of the things on the list are mere annoyances (radio head unit updates, for example), there are others that would indicate significant concern:
- 3 for suspension issues (noises and hard ride, appearances of misalignment)
- 2 for malfunctioning gages
- 1 for an EPS issue (malfunction light)
- 3 for hesitation, surging and poor acceleration issues
- 1 for engine noise complaint about "pop/clunk" at start up

All these represent real concerns. They may not manifest into failure of the vehicle, but they do represent potential failures, and/or misleading information leading to uncertainty in use.
* If the oil pressure gage doesn't work right, that would lead to the driver not feeling comfortable in seeing high/low pressure and subsequently shutting the vehicle down.
* If the fuel gages doesn't work right, it can lead to unnecessary trips to the gas station, or worse, running out of fuel on your morning commute.
* If the engine hesitates or doesn't accelerate right, that could cause an accident when you expect the vehicle to move properly through an intersection, etc. Hesitation and surging lead to a very uncomfortable sense; a lack of confidence of reliability.
* And who expects an $80k vehicle engine to "pop/clunk" when you fire it up in the morning; that's not disconcerting in any way, is it???

17 TSBs is not a good roll-out record, no matter how one wants to look at it. It's unlikely that all Tundras have all these issues; far more likely that they only have a few of them in any one vehicle. But the long list (and magnitude of some of the issues) gives an impression of this truck "not being fully cooked before coming out of the oven"; like it wasnt fully vetted before being released to the public. Each one of these TSBs represents a trip to the dealer to get it fixed; a trip which takes time/money out of the day for the owners of the vehicles. Some of these things represent operational concerns which could lead to a poor decision being made based on improper intel.

There's no need to make this into an over-reaction; these are not IDHL topics. But they are none-the-less significant enough to warrant concern, and certainly do illicit a feeling of immaturity of the product at release.

But these aren’t the “issues” you make them out to be.

A software update to the stereo isn’t an “issue” for which Toyota should be “accountable for their mistakes”.

These are updates to vehicle servicing information that become apparent through experience. And software updates are a way of life now. Some companies push them over the air, some do it in shop, but updating software is a reality now.

A recall for frame rust - that’s an issue. And Toyota was held accountable for making a frame that failed too easily and too early. They had to replace those frames.

But not one of these 17 TSBs was even close to being a safety issue. They’re all just servicing information.
Software updates are done to fix an issue. The issue may not be apparent to the end user, but it was big enough for Toyota to issue it.
Not sure why it’s so easily dismissed just because no parts need to be changed.
Software updates require quite a lot of engineering effort actually because a lot of teams need to be involved to ensure the update doesn’t break the functionality of some other component or has an adverse effect on another system.

They cost a lot of money to the manufacturer in testing and validation process. They would not issue them and spend all those resources if it didn’t fix an issue.

Would you rather your dealer technician is given:

-A factory TSB for an issue that corporate has seen, spent time diagnosing and developing a repair, and believes it fixes the problem, along with providing the diagnostic for it.

or

-Nothing, and has to figure it out despite the fact that others may have seen the same issue, diagnosed, and determined a repair.

Given the current state of skills of most technicians, I know which scenario I'd rather have. Yet to some here, if a company were to to that, and it passes some mythical number of "too many" then its clear the product is junk.

This kind of feels like how I get a deer in the headlights look when I ask why the Toyota dealer near me has such a large repair shop since to many they are perfect and never have any issues...

They are machines. Machines need maintenance and repairs. No more, no less.

As the title says there are currently 17 TSBs for the 2022-23 Toyota Tundra. I own a previous generation Tundra but like to keep up with the new releases for future consideration. For a company known for their reliability and a truck that had a pretty good reliability record, is this best we get as consumers for new offerings?
Nothing new but it is extreme, in 2015 a big part of the decision to go Honda was all the recalls Toyota had at the time and it looks like the trend continues. Too bad the old guard that built their reputation in the 80s 90s aren't around any longer.

I’ll give you the drivetrain, just can’t beat a Chevy v8…. But Jesus Christ they look like abominations straight out of hell that was subsequently ran over by 18 wheelers. Even the poor Escalade… the previous generation was so much better looking.
After spending that kind on $$ on a GM or Didge there is the added option of seeing right through them in a few years.

Extreme?

A quick google search showed the 2022 Honda Accord has over 60 active TSB's issued to it. So much for Honda... its all over. Lights out, game over. Junk junk junk.

I write services bulletins for aviation engines. Different animal, but close enough. If you guys think a few dozen TSB's issued for a pickup truck is sufficient reason for the some of the reactions we're seeing here, you'd barf if you saw what I see on a daily basis. I dont barf, because I know and understand what SB's (and automotive TSB's) are, what they mean, what they dont mean, what the implications are, and why they exist. Some of you guys are blowing this TSB concept way out of proportion.

Nothing new but it is extreme, in 2015 a big part of the decision to go Honda was all the recalls Toyota had at the time and it looks like the trend continues. Too bad the old guard that built their reputation in the 80s 90s aren't around any longer.
Wait, wait, you bought a car, that has 216 TSBs on it? TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTEEN?

And you want to make the point that your car is better than this one?

Your car has nearly two hundred more TSBs than this Tundra. Two hundred more!

That number, two hundred and sixteen, is extreme, my friend.

Extreme?

A quick google search showed the 2022 Honda Accord has over 60 active TSB's issued to it. So much for Honda... its all over. Lights out, game over. Junk junk junk.

I write services bulletins for aviation engines. Different animal, but close enough. If you guys think a few dozen TSB's issued for a pickup truck is sufficient reason for the some of the reactions we're seeing here, you'd barf if you saw what I see on a daily basis. I dont barf, because I know and understand what SB's (and automotive TSB's) are, what they mean, what they dont mean, what the implications are, and why they exist. Some of you guys are blowing this TSB concept way out of proportion.
yup

2023 GMC Yukon has over 311 TSBs. Other than the fact that I can’t locate one locally and have to wait over 4 months to order one,that is not stopping me from buying one . Had 7 of them since 1988 and no major issues with them. Guess I lucked out

As the title says there are currently 17 TSBs for the 2022-23 Toyota Tundra. I own a previous generation Tundra but like to keep up with the new releases for future consideration. For a company known for their reliability and a truck that had a pretty good reliability record, is this best we get as consumers for new offerings?
I bet mane of those TSBs are for software update. Welcome to the new norm.

Would you rather your dealer technician is given:

-A factory TSB for an issue that corporate has seen, spent time diagnosing and developing a repair, and believes it fixes the problem, along with providing the diagnostic for it.

or

-Nothing, and has to figure it out despite the fact that others may have seen the same issue, diagnosed, and determined a repair.

Given the current state of skills of most technicians, I know which scenario I'd rather have. Yet to some here, if a company were to to that, and it passes some mythical number of "too many" then its clear the product is junk.

This kind of feels like how I get a deer in the headlights look when I ask why the Toyota dealer near me has such a large repair shop since to many they are perfect and never have any issues...

They are machines. Machines need maintenance and repairs. No more, no less.
I think dnewton3 summarized my feelings well. I get that these are intended to be supplemental communications from corporate to techs to help them identify and repair problems and their mere existence doesn't necessarily mean much but let's not pretend like they're totally benign either. They exist because some problem exists - TSBs aren't issued for poops and giggles. On one end of the TSB spectrum, software updates seem benign but they still do require the owner's time and effort. On the other end of the spectrum, some of the TSBs having to do with suspension, drivability, and gauges that don't work correctly are a little concerning.

2023 GMC Yukon has over 311 TSBs. Other than the fact that I can’t locate one locally and have to wait over 4 months to order one,that is not stopping me from buying one . Had 7 of them since 1988 and no major issues with them. Guess I lucked out
That’s very odd - just took the Tahoe in (oil/rotation @6k) and the search found just one - software upgrade for headlights staying on with the DRL’s (LED) - ours did not do that - but they updated anyway

The DRL was a recall. Here are the TSBs​

2023 GMC YUKON​

311 TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETINS (TSBS)​

TSB LIST FOR THE 2023 GMC YUKON​

Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) for the 2023 Yukon are official communications between GMC & their dealerships that describe processes for troubleshooting or fixing certain common problems. All vehicle manufacturers are required by U.S. law to make their TSBs available to the public.

2023 GMC YUKON​

311 TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETINS (TSBS​

How many of them are for multiple GM models? GM is another one that issues TSBs of a general, informational nature.

I'd bet that at least one of them is explaining the difference between E85 and E15 and E10.

How many of them are for multiple GM models? GM is another one that issues TSBs of a general, informational nature.
Correct, but you can safely say that most of these are for the Tahoe, Suburban,Yukon, Yukon XL and Escalades. Probably most of the pickups too and the Buick Suv's. That"s why I don't get excited over a TSB. Besides the dealers around here will spend a day trying to find your problem(Yeah right) and then tell you they can not duplicate customers concern. Then you mention the TSB and they have a deer in headlights look.

Last edited:
Besides the dealers around here will spend a day trying to find your problem(Yeah right) and then tell you they can not duplicate customers concern. Then you mention the TSB and they have a deer in headlights look.

That's normal. I once even printed out the TSB and handed it to that stupid hick at the dealer who was my service advisor (the guy was seriously a stupid hick), told him that was the problem and...

...they told me they couldn't duplicate the problem.

Asked if I could get the mechanic in the car to see if I could make the problem happen...

...got the mechanic in the car, handed him another copy of the TSB, told him that was the problem and he said he'd fix it.

Unknown why the service advisor didn't give the mechanic the TSB I give him, but again, he was a stupid hick.

That was over 25 years ago. Since then I've run into many people like that that....dumb as a box of rocks yet won't take any instruction or advice from others. Sometimes they even get offended at the mere suggestion that you might know more about a particular thing than they do.

That's normal. I once even printed out the TSB and handed it to that stupid hick at the dealer who was my service advisor (the guy was seriously a stupid hick), told him that was the problem and...

...they told me they couldn't duplicate the problem.

Asked if I could get the mechanic in the car to see if I could make the problem happen...

...got the mechanic in the car, handed him another copy of the TSB, told him that was the problem and he said he'd fix it.

Unknown why the service advisor didn't give the mechanic the TSB I give him, but again, he was a stupid hick.

That was over 25 years ago. Since then I've run into many people like that that....dumb as a box of rocks yet won't take any instruction or advice from others. Sometimes they even get offended at the mere suggestion that you might know more about a particular thing than they do.
Here's a quick story. My brothers neighbor kid got a job working at Advance Auto out of High School. I get a lot of parts there and would always shoot the breeze with her , anyway she worked there for about a yr directly out of HS. Had to take take CT6 in for warranty work at local dealer and there she was---the new service writer, direct from Advance !!!!

All this TSB stuff gor me curious about our Tesla, among the other cars. I couldn't find the TSBs. 13 recalls, 1 incomplete; repeated trunk operation could damage rear camera harness. Just wondering if the engine was about to fall out. It does have a 5 star safety rating...

Back