Calling all Tundra/Sequoia 5.7 V8 owners! Why not purchase? Why yes?

OK. Still isn't a Toyota. I don't think the OP will go with a Nissan at any rate. The minute he starts talking to a Nissan Dealer he will not like the interaction.
The problem with Armada is that actually it is smaller in some areas than Atlas. It is huge outside, but inside, they really didn’t thought through space very well.
I really don’t care about dealerships. I am looking vehicles all over the country and short of Alaska, will go and get vehicle anywhere if price is right. CO has expensive Sequoias. Difference could be $5-10,000 for similar mileage between CO and TX for example.

This is true today as well. It has happened on my RX 350 and Tundra - never bad but after 15-20K miles they both developed a slight shutter when applying the brakes at highway speeds.
I had same issues with Prado and Sienna. But higher end rotors resolved that, EBC in this case. Using their pads or Pagid improved braking too. I know Toyota is 4 pot front, so we will see what happens if I get it, which I think I will.

Last edited:
I think the 5.7 and six speed is a great powertrain. I’m nearing 80,000 miles with the Tundra and the engine is reliable, uses no oil, and makes plenty of power.

Yep, it’s thirsty, but it’s more thirsty if you put your foot in it. Driven gently, it exceeds the EPA sticker, MPG, Durban, aggressively, or at high-speed, where you’re pushing that giant brick of a truck through the wind, it really drinks the gas.

I find it amusing that people think that the engine is somehow underpowered, 380 hp is a lot of power. It doesn’t make a huge amount of low end torque, it’s more of a rev it and get power, but there is still plenty of low end torque for daily driving.

Tow 8,000 pounds, and you will find the engine revving up to get things moving.

I love it. It was great in the Colorado mountains, it’s great on the highway, it’s great around town. Amusingly, when you do rev it up, that double overhead cam V8 sounds just wonderful. Not strained or harsh.

The brakes on the Tundra are a strong suit. Rotors that are very thick and nearly 14” across. Four piston front calipers. It stops very well, even when pulling 8,000#.
Yeah, 401lb-ft is, well, 401lb-ft. There is a lot there, regardless of altitude.
Will see about brakes. That is the first thing I was researching as I am still paranoid considering issues on Prado (also 4pot) and Sienna. But there seems to be a lot of aftermarket stuff, so do not worry about that. Also, one good thing, there is a lot of aftermarket suspension options if I get itchy to do some monkey business like Bilstein shocks etc., and prices are really, really good.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say brakes will be an issue, but coming from a German machine, you will not be impressed by the performance. They are heavy vehicles with an old brake design. I find full-size trucks don't have the best brakes to begin with, and these Toyota's are not class leading in that group. They do the job fine, but far from what you would get on a German vehicle. There were some complaints of front brake rotor pulsation in the earlier years, but Toyota revised the backing plates which seemed to help cooling and reduce pulsation issues.

I live in a cold climate, and have always used block heaters on my vehicles. The 3UR V8 uses a dry fit block heater, which helps the cold fuel consumption and improves warm up time a bit. It's not as good as a wet block heater. I don't idle my vehicle in winter, unless very cold, but I still find that has a long warm up time compared to some other vehicles we've owned. That said, the trucks do work well in winter, other than the long warm up time, it's a great winter vehicle. With a good set of winter tires, my truck is fantastic in the winter. I typically leave before the plow comes by, and have never had issue getting to work even after the worst snow storms.
I generally only idle a bit if kids are there and we are finishing skiing. Max 3-5 min. Otherwise, I put my seat belt, and radio on, and I move conservatively until the oil temp. is up. I keep HVAC on cold first few min to help with heating.
As for brakes, Pagid makes Euro-compound pads. 354mm is big, but then, my 328 BMW now has 340mm front rotors, so I'm not expecting a lot. The good thing is that there are A LOT of aftermarket options to "play" with.

Likely all true. But they are better than average reliable, and the OP did list it as an option at least.
I did. As possibility. But, I dis more research yesterday. Prices are just bit lower than Sequoia. Sequoia has 4LO and locker, and we do go some places where I would then go somewhere where I couldn’t go before. Since I am getting truck based SUV, I might as well go for that option.

I did. As possibility. But, I dis more research yesterday. Prices are just bit lower than Sequoia. Sequoia has 4LO and locker, and we do go some places where I would then go somewhere where I couldn’t go before. Since I am getting truck based SUV, I might as well go for that option.
This is also available "The 2023 Armada also has an available Off-Road Package with a two-speed transfer case, hill descent control, and an electronic locking rear differential "

If its not for you thats fine.

How does your experience with rental cars (so, Corollas, Camrys, right?) translate to a truck built in the last couple of years?

The Tundras brakes are huge. Bigger than my S600, which has great brakes. The rotors are thick, and heavy, and the calipers are 4 piston type.

Toyota passenger cars may have small brakes, but the trucks are a different story. Even my 1990 4 Runner had 4 piston calipers.

On the engine warm-up - I didn’t notice that it was slow to warm up when I kept the truck in Colorado. But the cooling system does have good capacity, so there may be some extra thermal mass slowing warm up. It wasn’t an issue for me.
Because, as the OP agreed, it's a Toyota thing from small to large. My GX460 has tiny rotors for its curb weight, and so did my previous Tacoma, which also had rear drum brakes. Toyota, for whatever reason, doesn't put a lot of extra margin for heat dissipation into its brake designs.

Because, as the OP agreed, it's a Toyota thing from small to large. My GX460 has tiny rotors for its curb weight, and so did my previous Tacoma, which also had rear drum brakes. Toyota, for whatever reason, doesn't put a lot of extra margin for heat dissipation into its brake designs.
Except that the Tundra, which is what we are talking about, has big brakes, not tiny ones. The Tundra has rear rotors, not drums, so it’s not like your Tacoma, nor is it like your rental fleet.

I’ve owned a few Toyotas, and you simply can’t say, “well, my Corolla had this problem, so, my Tundra will, too.”

I’ve driven my Tundra through Colorado mountains (it was bought at Groove Toyota in Littleton, CO) and towed with it.

The brakes are great. Here is a Tundra front rotor -

IMG_0266.jpeg

It’s 14” across, over 1 1/4” thick.

That’s not a “tiny rotor for its curb weight”. Other 1/2 ton trucks have similar rotors, the F-150 Raptor, for example, has the same size rotors, nobody is saying that its brakes are “tiny”.

Say what you want about rental cars, this thread is about the pros and cons of the Tundra.

Last edited:
Except that the Tundra, which is what we are talking about, has big brakes, not tiny ones. The Tundra has rear rotors, not drums, so it’s not like your Tacoma, nor is it like your rental fleet.

I’ve owned a few Toyotas, and you simply can’t say, “well, my Corolla had this problem, so, my Tundra will, too.”

I’ve driven my Tundra through Colorado mountains (it was bought at Groove Toyota in Littleton, CO) and towed with it.

The brakes are great. Here is a Tundra front rotor -

View attachment 225426
It’s 14” across, over 1 1/4” thick.

That’s not a “tiny rotor for its curb weight”. Other 1/2 ton trucks have similar rotors, the F-150 Raptor, for example, has the same size rotors, nobody is saying that its brakes are “tiny”.

Say what you want about rental cars, this thread is about the pros and cons of the Tundra.
Frankly, that is pretty small considering the Tundra weighs ~2k lbs more than my M2 and its front rotors are 15.7 inches in diameter and 1.4 inches thick. I bet it's class-leading, but the point @edyvw and I were discussing is that Toyota's tend to have "small" brakes- as in easy to warp, like my GX460 and past Tacoma and even this Tundra.

Frankly, that is pretty small considering the Tundra weighs ~2k lbs more than my M2 and its front rotors are 15.7 inches in diameter and 1.4 inches thick. I bet it's class-leading, but the point @edyvw and I were discussing is that Toyota's tend to have "small" brakes- as in easy to warp, like my GX460 and past Tacoma and even this Tundra.
I will see. I am a pretty aggressive driver regardless of the type of vehicle I drive, and I downshift all the time. If there is an issue, I bet it will surface.

Now you’re comparing trucks to later model, M series BMWs? Why not compare the Tundra to an AMG Mercedes?

Please.

That’s just another apples to oranges comparison - and equally pointless.

I compared the Tundra to an F-150, their brakes are comparable, and @edyvw started a thread about trucks he was considering, not German performance sedans.

Further, he asked me about the Tundra, before you started making all these comparisons.

Trucks are trucks. The Tundra has good brakes. If we are comparing in your world - your M2 would clearly be the better tow vehicle here because of its superior brakes, right?

IMG_9421.jpeg

The Tundra’s “tiny” brakes handle this work with ease, but I’m sure your M2 is better at it

I like the fact that 18” wheels can fit. Although I would go at least limited (SR5, TRD Sport don’t have electric folding mirrors, which is absolute MUST) and it comes with 20” wheels, I would probably go 18” eventually for summer, and definitely 18” for second winter set. I think size of rotors and 4pots are also designed to fit 18” wheels. I like more sidewall on vehicles like this bcs. off roading. I bumped tires on Atlas to 265/60 R18 from 255/50 R20 bcs. gravel, sharp rocks etc.
If there is vibration issues, good thing is that there is plethora of aftermarket options including EBC and Brembo.
I will do one more time glass at third vendor just to, I guess, feel better about it, that I did due diligence, but I know it doesn’t matter. Yesterday we went to bbq at friends house, and crack is now from one edge to another bcs. heat. When it comes to safety, ie: brakes, tires, suspension, and in this case visibility, I don’t compromise. Some said just to drive with it, however, not in the mood to have glass break in the middle of drive with kids, or sun bothering me bcs. those cracks.

I believe it’s all years. Not sure how common.
Ok, did some digging. I will actually go and check Armada. The prices are well below Sequoia.
It doesn’t have locker. That seems to be only for 2024 as I couldn’t find any of off road trims (I guess that is new trim) used.
Others have Auto (default mode), 4Hi and 4Lo. Now, Sequoia has central locker, which is big advantage in some serious off roading. But, Sequoia doesn’t have Auto mode, which comes super handy in snow. I don’t need to keep vehicle in 4Hi if roads are snowy, not just packed with snow and ice.
So, will check it. Not sure are there any issues with engine and transmission? I know there was cylinder scoring on up to 2019?

I like the fact that 18” wheels can fit. Although I would go at least limited (SR5, TRD Sport don’t have electric folding mirrors, which is absolute MUST) and it comes with 20” wheels, I would probably go 18” eventually for summer, and definitely 18” for second winter set. I think size of rotors and 4pots are also designed to fit 18” wheels. I like more sidewall on vehicles like this bcs. off roading. I bumped tires on Atlas to 265/60 R18 from 255/50 R20 bcs. gravel, sharp rocks etc.
If there is vibration issues, good thing is that there is plethora of aftermarket options including EBC and Brembo.
I will do one more time glass at third vendor just to, I guess, feel better about it, that I did due diligence, but I know it doesn’t matter. Yesterday we went to bbq at friends house, and crack is now from one edge to another bcs. heat. When it comes to safety, ie: brakes, tires, suspension, and in this case visibility, I don’t compromise. Some said just to drive with it, however, not in the mood to have glass break in the middle of drive with kids, or sun bothering me bcs. those cracks.
I would prefer the 18" wheels on my Tundra - it came with the the 20" wheels, which are nice looking, and have 275/55R20 tires.

A bit more sidewall height would give you more options in tire selection, and a bit softer ride. Not that the ride is bad, but the 55 sidewall height doesn't give you much clearance on the rim for 4 wheeling, and the tires in that size are pricey (BFG KO are about $330 a tire).

So, I would go for 18", if I had a choice.

I would prefer the 18" wheels on my Tundra - it came with the the 20" wheels, which are nice looking, and have 275/55R20 tires.

A bit more sidewall height would give you more options in tire selection, and a bit softer ride. Not that the ride is bad, but the 55 sidewall height doesn't give you much clearance on the rim for 4 wheeling, and the tires in that size are pricey (BFG KO are about $330 a tire).

So, I would go for 18", if I had a choice.
Yeah, I highly doubt selling 20” on market would be an issue. As for tires, not going KO2. At most Michelin A/T2, probably Defender. I know people who actually off road with defender’s. I did some easy off road routes with defender’s on Atlas, no issues whatsoever.
And you are right, 18” choice is better and cheaper!

Back