Calling all Tundra/Sequoia 5.7 V8 owners! Why not purchase? Why yes?

I had an 08 Tundra for almost 12 years and replaced it with a 2021 Tundra. I bought the 21 because I liked my 08 so much I wanted the newest version of the same truck. I plan to keep my 21 as long or longer than my 08.

Most of the major issues have been mentioned. That said, my 08 didn't have water pump failure, cam tower leaks, valley pan leaks. The issues it had were the air pump system, which was covered by Toyota by the voluntary extended warranty. I think it was done when the truck was about 6 or 8 years old, but never had the issue again when it was sold at 15 years old. If it came up again, I was going to install a bypass. I had to replace rear wheel bearings (two on the rear axle, which is obviously different from Sequoia), a front wheel bearing and brake calipers (not unsual in my area due to the extreme salt use). Brake life and performance isn't class leading, only adequate.

Fuel economy isn't the best, but not as bad as people make out. Mine averaged 17.1 MPG lifetime, mostly commuter miles. They take a big hit in cold weather until they get fully warmed up and I find the 5.7 a bit cold blooded in cold weather (we see 30 below most winters)

Transmissions are rock solid, but a bit firmer shifting than some of the US brand trucks. I changed the fluid on my 08 once, but it was due for a second change when I sold it. I did not experience any hunting or bad shift algorithm with either of my Tundras. I suspect this was an issue with the 4.6L and it's lack of torque. Cruise works great on both my Tundras too, I use it all the time. The kickdown is willing and it is great for two lane passing. My Tundra will downshift on bigger hills, but nothing abnormal for a V8 powered truck. I find modern V8 trucks, regardless of brand, all tend to downshift more than the turbo six powered trucks.

Overall, Tundras are very mechanically solid trucks, with no significant issues, other than rust. That is why I bought another one in heartbeat and have rust proof the heck out of it. As long as you are okay with the dated platform and less efficient powetrain, a Sequoia should be a good buy.

My 5.7 averages 14mpg in mostly around-town driving but I only drive about 10K miles per year. My 2020 Tundra has been very solid. The 5.7 can have issues with the cam towers leaking and there is an air injection system that goes bad. It is apparently expensive to repair so there is an affordable method of bypassing it.

I would buy a v8 Tundra or a Sequoia in a heartbeat. Solid engines and transmissions and VERY reliable but I am a Toyota fan also.

I have a v8 Tundra and the mpg is not the best but if you step on it, accelerates like a sports car if needed. iirc, 0 to 60 mph in 6.4 sec.

⛽
Considering how much $ people spend or waste on other stuff, they get too excited about a little more gas money.

I had an 08 Tundra for almost 12 years and replaced it with a 2021 Tundra. I bought the 21 because I liked my 08 so much I wanted the newest version of the same truck. I plan to keep my 21 as long or longer than my 08.

Most of the major issues have been mentioned. That said, my 08 didn't have water pump failure, cam tower leaks, valley pan leaks. The issues it had were the air pump system, which was covered by Toyota by the voluntary extended warranty. I think it was done when the truck was about 6 or 8 years old, but never had the issue again when it was sold at 15 years old. If it came up again, I was going to install a bypass. I had to replace rear wheel bearings (two on the rear axle, which is obviously different from Sequoia), a front wheel bearing and brake calipers (not unsual in my area due to the extreme salt use). Brake life and performance isn't class leading, only adequate.

Fuel economy isn't the best, but not as bad as people make out. Mine averaged 17.1 MPG lifetime, mostly commuter miles. They take a big hit in cold weather until they get fully warmed up and I find the 5.7 a bit cold blooded in cold weather (we see 30 below most winters)

Transmissions are rock solid, but a bit firmer shifting than some of the US brand trucks. I changed the fluid on my 08 once, but it was due for a second change when I sold it. I did not experience any hunting or bad shift algorithm with either of my Tundras. I suspect this was an issue with the 4.6L and it's lack of torque. Cruise works great on both my Tundras too, I use it all the time. The kickdown is willing and it is great for two lane passing. My Tundra will downshift on bigger hills, but nothing abnormal for a V8 powered truck. I find modern V8 trucks, regardless of brand, all tend to downshift more than the turbo six powered trucks.

Overall, Tundras are very mechanically solid trucks, with no significant issues, other than rust. That is why I bought another one in heartbeat and have rust proof the heck out of it. As long as you are okay with the dated platform and less efficient powetrain, a Sequoia should be a good buy.
1. So, I know brakes will be an issue. I had that issue on Prado in Europe and Sienna here. had to do some work around to improve performance and prevent vibrating as I do drive aggressively. I already checked and Pagid makes pads for it, and I guess will see how it goes with rotors. I know GX470 crowd retrofits GX460 calipers and rotors. I am not sure third-generation brakes would be an option to retrofit.

2. Cold weather? You are right. I just thought it is V8, It won't be as bad as 2GR-FE in my Sienna. That was by far the worst winter vehicle I had. It took forever to warm up. The problem was when I had that vehicle, I had a second child, and my son was 3. It was insane how much time it took to warm up. I installed a block heater, and it still took longer than my VW and BMW. I pretty much had it hooked up all the time in the garage to power (insulated garage), although BMW was daily. So, I guess a block heater would be a partial solution, and kids are older now, so they take cold better, but I guess after skiing, there will be some idling while we take boots off, etc.

Last edited:
I would buy a v8 Tundra or a Sequoia in a heartbeat. Solid engines and transmissions and VERY reliable but I am a Toyota fan also.

I have a v8 Tundra and the mpg is not the best but if you step on it, accelerates like a sports car if needed. iirc, 0 to 60 mph in 6.4 sec.

⛽
Considering how much $ people spend or waste on other stuff, they get too excited about a little more gas money.
Not much of concern as going uphill here at altitude, but, it has IMO plenty of power to make up for air density and pressure loss.

Late model GX460? I'm by no means a Toyota fanatic, but for my use case of long road trips, ultimate reliability, and real off-roading chops, the GX460 is top of the class. The 4.6 V8 and Aisin A760F were in production for 14 model years; before I modded mine, I could hit 20-21 mpg on the freeway, usually 15ish in the city. A lot of them coming off-lease are soccer mom cars with 1/3 off the original selling price. Built in the same Tahara, Japan plant as the 4Runner and Land Cruiser, the chassis is the same as the 4Runner- but for whatever reason, it doesn't carry the 4Runner tax.

Also, I really like having full-time 4WD when going into winter conditions in the mountains.

View attachment 225163

View attachment 225164
Was breifly thinking. But big step down for us space-wise. Atlas is huge inside. And still, we utilize Yakima roof box when traveling. Biking accessories, grill, big cooler, 3-4 travel bags, etc. I also need a functioning third row that can fit adults.
But, talking about Imogen Pass, that is my thinking behind Sequoia. If I go something else, I might as well go something that has 4LO and locker.
Yosemite-Hotel-2.jpg

Also-the Armada is not a prime example of reliability .
I believe your incorrect on that one.

Everyone loves to bash Nissan, but there truck base platforms are highly reliable. This topic has gone round and round on this forum as well. Dashboard-light agrees there reliable.

The 5.6 is an awesome engine with everything beyond fuel mileage. Both versions. There was a short run that had a cylinder 7 machining issue. That was a production machine problem that happened only to one cylinder on one production line. Just avoid those years - double check but I think its around 2019. Some newer years have a fuel pump recall. I think every Toyota made has a Fuel pump recall so if your going to pass over that your list just got short. The rest of the vehicle is stout also - its essentially the same as a Nissan Patrol which is Nissan's competitor to the Land Cruiser overseas.

Not saying buy one or not buy one, but reliability is not its problem.

1. So, I know brakes will be an issue. I had that issue on Prado in Europe and Sienna here. had to do some work around to improve performance and prevent vibrating as I do drive aggressively. I already checked and Pagid makes pads for it, and I guess will see how it goes with rotors. I know GX470 crowd retrofits GX460 calipers and rotors. I am not sure third-generation brakes would be an option to retrofit.

2. Cold weather? You are right. I just thought it is V8, It won't be as bad as 2GR-FE in my Sienna. That was by far the worst winter vehicle I had. It took forever to warm up. The problem was when I had that vehicle, I had a second child, and my son was 3. It was insane how much time it took to warm up. I installed a block heater, and it still took longer than my VW and BMW. I pretty much had it hooked up all the time in the garage to power (insulated garage), although BMW was daily. So, I guess a block heater would be a partial solution, and kids are older now, so they take cold better, but I guess after skiing, there will be some idling while we take boots off, etc.
Idling?! Did you really say that? Gas should cost more!!

Funny, I also always find Toyota's under-braked. When my family had a Budget car rental franchise in the 2000s, we ran a lot of Toyotas, and man, it seemed that as they got on in miles, nearly every one would always have brake vibration/shudder. To be fair, though, they never broke down, so I guess that's a reasonable tradeoff.

Maybe it's my sports car background (I have owned a lot of M cars and a few Porsches), but the GX's rotor size and thickness don't leave much margin for spirited driving, so I just take my time in it.

Funny, I also always find Toyota's under-braked. When my family had a Budget car rental franchise in the 2000s, we ran a lot of Toyotas, and man, it seemed that as they got on in miles, nearly every one would always have brake vibration/shudder. To be fair, though, they never broke down, so I guess that's a reasonable tradeoff.

Maybe it's my sports car background (I have owned a lot of M cars and a few Porsches), but the GX's rotor size and thickness don't leave much margin for spirited driving, so I just take my time in it.
They are definitely undersized. I mean 335 E90 pretty much has same size rotor as Sequoia, probably more rotor surface due to smaller hub.
EBC pads and rotors proved really good on my Sienna and Prado in Europe (GX470 just diesel). They don’t last super long, but never vibrated.

I wouldn't say brakes will be an issue, but coming from a German machine, you will not be impressed by the performance. They are heavy vehicles with an old brake design. I find full-size trucks don't have the best brakes to begin with, and these Toyota's are not class leading in that group. They do the job fine, but far from what you would get on a German vehicle. There were some complaints of front brake rotor pulsation in the earlier years, but Toyota revised the backing plates which seemed to help cooling and reduce pulsation issues.

I live in a cold climate, and have always used block heaters on my vehicles. The 3UR V8 uses a dry fit block heater, which helps the cold fuel consumption and improves warm up time a bit. It's not as good as a wet block heater. I don't idle my vehicle in winter, unless very cold, but I still find that has a long warm up time compared to some other vehicles we've owned. That said, the trucks do work well in winter, other than the long warm up time, it's a great winter vehicle. With a good set of winter tires, my truck is fantastic in the winter. I typically leave before the plow comes by, and have never had issue getting to work even after the worst snow storms.

I think the 5.7 and six speed is a great powertrain. I’m nearing 80,000 miles with the Tundra and the engine is reliable, uses no oil, and makes plenty of power.

Yep, it’s thirsty, but it’s more thirsty if you put your foot in it. Driven gently, it exceeds the EPA sticker, MPG, Durban, aggressively, or at high-speed, where you’re pushing that giant brick of a truck through the wind, it really drinks the gas.

I find it amusing that people think that the engine is somehow underpowered, 380 hp is a lot of power. It doesn’t make a huge amount of low end torque, it’s more of a rev it and get power, but there is still plenty of low end torque for daily driving.

Tow 8,000 pounds, and you will find the engine revving up to get things moving.

I love it. It was great in the Colorado mountains, it’s great on the highway, it’s great around town. Amusingly, when you do rev it up, that double overhead cam V8 sounds just wonderful. Not strained or harsh.

The brakes on the Tundra are a strong suit. Rotors that are very thick and nearly 14” across. Four piston front calipers. It stops very well, even when pulling 8,000#.

Seems you have experience with all the alternate suggestions and have made a pretty good use case for a Sequoia. I took a hard look myself but settled on a GX460. Be prepared for some boring UOAs ;)

How does your experience with rental cars (so, Corollas, Camrys, right?) translate to a truck built in the last couple of years?

The Tundras brakes are huge. Bigger than my S600, which has great brakes. The rotors are thick, and heavy, and the calipers are 4 piston type.

Toyota passenger cars may have small brakes, but the trucks are a different story. Even my 1990 4 Runner had 4 piston calipers.

On the engine warm-up - I didn’t notice that it was slow to warm up when I kept the truck in Colorado. But the cooling system does have good capacity, so there may be some extra thermal mass slowing warm up. It wasn’t an issue for me.

I have a 2020 5.7 Tundra 4x4 and I have no problems getting 17 MPG’s. The more conservative you drive the better the gas mileage gets…

I have quite a few friends and family members that own newer V8 domestics (Ram/Ford/Chevy). They only average 1-2 MPG’s better than mine but smaller liters…not as drastic as the internet or even reviewers will have you believe. However idling is the absolute death grip on the 5.7 hence why I refuse to do it.

In the last six months I have driven quite a few F150 Ecoboosts and the Ram (with the Ecoboost equivalent **I think**) with all having less than 5k miles. My 4 + year old Tundra with 30k has a much “tighter” and doesn’t rattle like either especially the Ram. Both of them are more care like and a little more comfortable overall. Quicker off the line as well but the Tundra pulled up top in a way that couldn’t be touched by the others.

I will take my archaic Tundra SR5 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Admittedly I like simplicity, the only option I got was the basic TRD Offroad package for the suspension…the shocks are better for rougher roads.

This is true today as well. It has happened on my RX 350 and Tundra - never bad but after 15-20K miles they both developed a slight shutter when applying the brakes at highway speeds.

I believe your incorrect on that one.

Everyone loves to bash Nissan, but there truck base platforms are highly reliable. This topic has gone round and round on this forum as well. Dashboard-light agrees there reliable.

The 5.6 is an awesome engine with everything beyond fuel mileage. Both versions. There was a short run that had a cylinder 7 machining issue. That was a production machine problem that happened only to one cylinder on one production line. Just avoid those years - double check but I think its around 2019. Some newer years have a fuel pump recall. I think every Toyota made has a Fuel pump recall so if your going to pass over that your list just got short. The rest of the vehicle is stout also - its essentially the same as a Nissan Patrol which is Nissan's competitor to the Land Cruiser overseas.

Not saying buy one or not buy one, but reliability is not its problem.
OK. Still isn't a Toyota. I don't think the OP will go with a Nissan at any rate. The minute he starts talking to a Nissan Dealer he will not like the interaction.

Did the 2018’s and newer get electric parking brakes? I know my 2010 had drum brake for parking (inside of the rotor) and it didn’t work very well. I’ve noticed that EPB on my current cars works quite well, at least until the pads seize in the caliper (not likely an issue for the OP).

Did the 2018’s and newer get electric parking brakes? I know my 2010 had drum brake for parking (inside of the rotor) and it didn’t work very well. I’ve noticed that EPB on my current cars works quite well, at least until the pads seize in the caliper (not likely an issue for the OP).
No, they have the same mechanical parking brake in the rotor hat. Mechanically, my 2021 is literally almost identical to my 2008. My parking brake held fine but I did have to adjust it every now and then on my old truck. My new truck holds fine. On my 08, the parking brake lever on the chassis started to stick and wouldn't properly release when it got old due to rust. I'd didn't replace it before I sold it.

Back