Seventeen TSBs and counting for the 2022-2023 Tundra

So I am looking at the current list of TSBs for a 2023 Tundra at the moment. One TSB applies to all 23 Toyotas because floor mat retention method was changed, a couple other ones that apply to all vehicles and are general information, one recall for the tonneau cover coming loose, one recall for a software update for the instrument cluster going blank, an adjustment to the ride height sensors on hybrids, another software update and certain ones have a bulletin for some DTCs that requires an updated fuel rail and cat that has been fixed after a production breakpoint. Nothing real major.
Ok…I guess we’re now accepting this level of mediocrity for a $80k vehicle? Now what if you had to return for just 10 of those TSBs? What if they couldn’t be fixed due to parts shortage? Still not a problem? There are people who are experiencing that very scenario.

Ok…I guess we’re now accepting this level of mediocrity for a $80k vehicle? Now what if you had to return for just 10 of those TSBs? What if they couldn’t be fixed due to parts shortage? Still not a problem? There are people who are experiencing that very scenario.
Cars are designed by humans and humans do make mistakes. The tonneau cover recall sucks but the vehicle is usable without the tonneau in place until a final fix is figured out. Only one other bulletin involves parts replacement and parts are available for it. The software update bulletins are not a big deal. How often does microsoft issue a software update?

At least they are TSB's and not recalls.

Cars are designed by humans and humans do make mistakes. The tonneau cover recall sucks but the vehicle is usable without the tonneau in place until a final fix is figured out. Only one other bulletin involves parts replacement and parts are available for it. The software update bulletins are not a big deal. How often does microsoft issue a software update?
We have accepted a low bar.

17 is nothing. That’s a darn good launch. Plus some TSB’s are for informational proposes only and may apply to multiple models.

And not all common issues are addressed in a TSB.

Granted there are some duplicates here, but in Stellantis land:

🤣
especially when 4 of em apply to PDI and vehicle storage at dealership and a couple are general info

What I find funny is there are a bazillion TSB's that apply to 2016 F150's. Currently 7 years and 105,000 miles in, and exactly one TSB was applicable to my truck. (And was covered under the powertrain warranty).

I view TSB's more as here is a fix to a potential issue we have seen... No more, no less...

As the title says there are currently 17 TSBs for the 2022-23 Toyota Tundra. I own a previous generation Tundra but like to keep up with the new releases for future consideration. For a company known for their reliability and a truck that had a pretty good reliability record, is this best we get as consumers for new offerings?
Seventeen is not much and TSB's do not neccessarily mean a quality issue. They are to assist dealer technicians with some more common issues, fixes, firmware updates, part improvements, etc. Much different than recalls. I have seen many other makes with close to one hundred TSB's as the years have gone by.

Most of the new Tundra owners I have talked to have been happy with them. Only one reported an issue, and it was some interior trim. I think there have been a few issues (and some major), but they have been ok for the most part.

As opposed to the local Ford dealer here in a small town that routinely has at least F150 or F250 cab separated from the frame in the shop when I pass by.

Your local Ford dealer is irrelevant to this thread. "Most" of < 100k /year Tundra owners compared to "most" of 700k / year F150 owners....

The 2001 Sequoia has over 165 TSB's issued. Mine has been back to the dealer once. One time, in 22 years. You're making a big deal out of something thats really completely normal.

We have accepted a low bar.
Tsb's are meant to assist technicians and owners in fixing potential issues that could happen. Some of these could affect very few vehicles or as others mentioned, all the models Toyota makes. They can be general information.
If they stop putting out tsb's because people judge reliability based on them, it would be a real bad thing for technicians.

Aside from the TSBs, I don't think the launch has gone quite as well as they had hoped. Not terrible by any means but hard to live up to the reputation of that beautiful V8 in the previous generation.

Last week we were on vacation at the lake of the Ozarks and I met a guy who had a pristine 2019 extra cab, I mean this thing was beautiful. Anyways he said he has several friends who have the 22s and all of them have been back to the dealer for one thing or another including turbo issues.

But it is Toyota so I'm sure all issues will be worked out and it will turn out to be a good platform👍

Seems excessive to me, and I’m one of the resident fanbois.

But I don’t think the prior gen didn’t have its issues either. Steering racks, front diffs, water pumps, cam tower leaks, only some of them had TSB’s. I liked mine but Corolla quality it wasn’t.

A technical service bulletin is not a recall.

Several of the TSBs were for things like software updates to the infotainment system.

Hardly a failure in design, engineering, or manufacturing.

Seventeen is not much and TSB's do not neccessarily mean a quality issue. They are to assist dealer technicians with some more common issues, fixes, firmware updates, part improvements, etc. Much different than recalls. I have seen many other makes with close to one hundred TSB's as the years have gone by.

Emphasis is mine. But pretty much highlights how we, instead of holding the corporations accountable for their mistakes, talk ourselves into believing there is no issue. Not only that, people believe they need to protect the said corporations for some odd reason.

Emphasis is mine. But pretty much highlights how we, instead of holding the corporations accountable for their mistakes, talk ourselves into believing there is no issue. Not only that, people believe they need to protect the said corporations for some odd reason.
But these aren’t the “issues” you make them out to be.

A software update to the stereo isn’t an “issue” for which Toyota should be “accountable for their mistakes”.

These are updates to vehicle servicing information that become apparent through experience. And software updates are a way of life now. Some companies push them over the air, some do it in shop, but updating software is a reality now.

A recall for frame rust - that’s an issue. And Toyota was held accountable for making a frame that failed too easily and too early. They had to replace those frames.

But not one of these 17 TSBs was even close to being a safety issue. They’re all just servicing information.

But these aren’t the “issues” you make them out to be.

A software update to the stereo isn’t an “issue” for which Toyota should be “accountable for their mistakes”.

These are updates to vehicle servicing information that become apparent through experience. And software updates are a way of life now. Some companies push them over the air, some do it in shop, but updating software is a reality now.

A recall for frame rust - that’s an issue. And Toyota was held accountable for making a frame that failed too easily and too early. They had to replace those frames.

But not one of these 17 TSBs was even close to being a safety issue. They’re all just servicing information.
+1

New vehicles are complicated, and a lot of the TSBs are software related updates. Something that is very common in the IT world with new release products.

Back