Post your latest oil change

2008 Mitsubishi Endeavor 3.8L AWD.

OCI: 8,034 miles (167,916-175,950mi)

Out:
Oil: 3.0 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30, 1 quart of 5W-30 Mobil 1, and about 1/3 of a bottle of Mobil Super Synblend 5W-20.

Filter: FRAM TG7317 with two oil changes (162,267-167,916, 167,916-175,950), 13,683 total miles and June 2021- Oct 2022.

In:
Oil: 5.0 quarts of Castrol Magnatec 10W-30 ($6.97 clearance at O'Reillys).

Filter: FVP R1356, for a little over $2 at work wholesale price.

Not sure if the oil will be changed again, this has become our 3rd/beater "truck", so it won't get alot of miles. Super rusty been through 14 MN winters.

2013 VW Jetta SE 2.5l @ 48,561 miles. This was an annual oci at just over 5,000 miles on my son’s car. I really like this Jetta. Drives great and easy to maintain. I also like that it has a larger oil capacity at 6.3 quarts… This QS oil was part of a clearance purchase at Walmart for $13 for 5qts.

out - Castrol Edge 5w-40 and a Fram cartridge filter
in - QS Full Syn 5w-40 and a KN Select cartridge filter

Attachments

• 4107A53A-8C05-4F9D-AFF4-CFF4139DBFBC.jpeg
    4107A53A-8C05-4F9D-AFF4-CFF4139DBFBC.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 21
Only 4700 miles on the oil, but almost 2 years. Just haven't been driving the car much. Also did it early since I'm starting to line the cars up to where I change the oil at easily remembered odometer readings. The Acura is going every 5K so, now it is almost at 185,000, so next will be 190k.

Not sure why I never did that in the first place.

Out/In Havoline High Mileage 5W30 and a Champion COS3953A filter.

UOA’s of the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 for SRT show that it uses a API SP style additive pack. The Euro oils in this grade tend to use a full SAPS additive pack, similar to the ones you find a 502.00 or A40 approved oil. The Euro additive packs contain a higher levels of Calcium and other elements that tend to raise the sulfated ash content. You will get some different opinions on this, but I personally will not use full SAPS oils in applications where it was not originally specified by the OEM.
But it WAS originally spec'd by the OEM, for years, when the factory and service fill was M1 0W-40, a full-SAPS Euro oil. I consider the mid-SAPS non-Euro oil a downgrade.

I want a explanation as to which oil to use in a 6.4 HEMI Ram 2500. M1 ESP 0w40?

Calling OVERKILL
My personal preference is a Euro oil. That was the original SRT oil back in the Daimler (Mercedes) years (M1 0W-40). The SRT 0W-40 was very quickly tossed together as a replacement when Fiat gave the contract to Shell, it looks (based on what we can see) like an API-style Resource Conserving additive package that you'd find in your Joe Blow 5W-30, in a 0W-40. It has much higher Noack that wouldn't pass the Euro approvals (full-SAPS or otherwise) and has xW-20/xW-30 levels of phosphorous.

Being a big bore engine with large swept ring area and not exactly known for throwing low amounts of iron, my position is that the higher levels of AW additives in a Full-SAPS oil may be of benefit. The engines don't have DI and they don't have a GPF, so there's no risk in running a full-SAPS oil anyways.

2014 Buick Verano T
85300 miles, 6100 miles OCI
19% left on oil monitor
Out: M1 10w40 HM, Fram Ultra filter
In: M1 5w40 Euro FS, Fram Ultra filter
Oil sample taken.

Getting very hard to find M1 5w40 FS. Didn't want to use 10w40 HM again, as I am skeptical it can stand up to the fuel dilution. No 5-qt jugs of 5w40 FS available at Walmart, so had to buy individual quarts, which added about $14 to the oil change.

Time to catch up with my Sportwagen in this thread....it's been a while and I've been doing some secret testing with HPL that I wanted to keep on the DL.

2/13/2022 73,193 mi odo/3,727 mi OCI/no consumption
Out: 5 qt Liquimoly Molygen 5W40 + 1 qt HPL 30w engine cleaner (ran for ~1.8K mi prior) + Mann filter + Corteco drain plug
In: 6 qt HPL 5W40 Euro custom blend + Mann filter + Corteco drain plug

5/8/2022 77,260 mi odo/4,067 mi OCI/no consumption
Out: 6 qt HPL 5W40 Euro custom blend + Mann filter + Corteco drain plug
In: 6 qt HPL 5W40 Euro + Mann filter + Corteco drain plug

8/24/2022 82,350 mi odo/5,090 mi OCI/no consumption
Out: 6 qt HPL 5W40 Euro + Mann filter + Corteco drain plug
In: 5 qt HPL 5W40 Euro + 1 qt HPL Euro custom blend + Mann filter + Corteco drain plug

9/7/2022 82,821 mi odo/471 mi OCI
Out: 6 qt HPL 5W40 Euro + Mann filter + Corteco drain plug
In: 5 qt HPL 5W40 Euro custom blend +1 qt HPL 5W40 Euro + Mann filter + Corteco drain plug

Weather was unusually nice for October during Canadian Thanksgiving weekend so I decided to change my son's '08 Focus (219 900km) oil a bit earlier before it got really cold.

Out: ST 5W20 synthetic. No oil used. Slight valve gasket leak noted, but not bad. I will leave it for spring to replace.
In: OEM 0W20 synthetic (bought at $12 per 4.73L jug)....first time using this brand, but it should perform better than non-synthetics.
Oil filter: Left TG3614 from earlier oil change with ST oil.

Time and mileage: 6 months and 7300km
1665346210743.png

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500
195,880 on the clock
Only 1 month on the oil but 6,021 miles thanks to a trip out west.
Out 5.5 qts Napa FS 5w30
Off AcDelco PF48
This is the first time the truck has ever used a drop of oil.

In 6qts Mobil 1 HM 5w30
On PF48
swapped out 2 qts of Valvoline Maxlife ATF as well.

Attachments

• IMG-2321.jpg
    IMG-2321.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 10
My personal preference is a Euro oil. That was the original SRT oil back in the Daimler (Mercedes) years (M1 0W-40). The SRT 0W-40 was very quickly tossed together as a replacement when Fiat gave the contract to Shell, it looks (based on what we can see) like an API-style Resource Conserving additive package that you'd find in your Joe Blow 5W-30, in a 0W-40. It has much higher Noack that wouldn't pass the Euro approvals (full-SAPS or otherwise) and has xW-20/xW-30 levels of phosphorous.

Being a big bore engine with large swept ring area and not exactly known for throwing low amounts of iron, my position is that the higher levels of AW additives in a Full-SAPS oil may be of benefit. The engines don't have DI and they don't have a GPF, so there's no risk in running a full-SAPS oil anyways.
I personally will not use a full SAPS oil in an application where it was not specified by the OEM. I have serious concerns about its impact on catalyst life. I recognize that older Euro vehicles used full SAPS oils, but their catalysts could have been designed differently to withstand this variable. Even the newer Euro vehicles (last 3-5 years) have stopped using full SAPS oils.

Keep in mind that the original SRT oil was probably a decade ago now, possibly longer. The 6.4's has had revisions since then and M1 0W40 was never validated or tested for the newer versions. Also, the Hellcat engine was after the change - so it was probably validated using the Pennzoil SRT product.

I personally will not use a full SAPS oil in an application where it was not specified by the OEM. I have serious concerns about its impact on catalyst life. I recognize that older Euro vehicles used full SAPS oils, but their catalysts could have been designed differently to withstand this variable. Even the newer Euro vehicles (last 3-5 years) have stopped using full SAPS oils.
As you and I have gone over previously, the catalyst part #'s are the exact same for the M1 0W-40 era cars and the Pennzoil cars. There is fundamentally no difference. Heck, if I remember correctly, the 5.7L cars from that era also had the same cats. This is a topic you and I are going to vehemently disagree on it appears, but this strikes me as a ridiculous boogeyman whose mythos has extended far beyond its reach.

I'm honestly not sure why you'd have concerns here. We are talking a few hundred PPM difference, if you are consuming enough oil for that to be a problem, it's not going to matter which oil you are using. Sure, it might get you out of the warranty period, but they are still going to fail regardless of which oil you are using.

And yes, newer Euro vehicles stopped using full-SAPS oils when GPF's were introduced, which we've also already been over. GPF's are more sensitive to poisoning than traditional catalysts, and this also coincided with many shifting to lighter oils, which will naturally have a higher tendency to consume. And then of course there's the issue with LSPI. None of this applies to the 5.7L, 6.4L and 6.2L HEMI engines however, which are port injected and backed by traditional catalysts.
Keep in mind that the original SRT oil was probably a decade ago now, possibly longer. The 6.4's has had revisions since then and M1 0W40 was never validated or tested for the newer versions.
What revisions? The Apache 6.4L SRT engine has remained almost entirely unchanged since it was introduced, save a few small tweaks that increased power output, and that was relatively early on and of course several lifter revisions, which we've also been over. There's nothing that would, or even could, be done to the engine to change the suitability of a full-SAPS lubricant besides slapping a GPF behind it and we know that isn't happening.
Also, the Hellcat engine was after the change - so it was probably validated using the Pennzoil SRT product.
- The SRT 6.4L/392 was introduced in 2011
- The truck 6.4L (HD) version was introduced in 2014
- Hellcat 6.2L was introduced in 2014 (2015 MY)

The acquisition of Chrysler by FIAT didn't complete until January of 2014. However, the SRT Pennzoil product was introduced mid-2012.

Hellcat engine development started in early 2011.

So no, I would assume the Hellcat engine was developed on, and validated with Mobil 1 0W-40, since it started before the Pennzoil product existed.

Of course it wasn't until after the acquisition that FIAT scrapped the factory and service fill contract with Mobil and tossed together the SRT oil and it took quite a while for dealers to get it. Mine was still using Mobil products for quite a while after, only getting in the Pennzoil products as the Mobil products were getting replaced.

The main difference here is that the SRT oil is a one-trick pony with 13% Noack and an API SN/GF-6 style additive package, with no other approvals, while the Euro lubes all have 229.5 (10% Noack limit) A3/B4, Porsche A40, VW 502...etc. Tons of OEM testing.

If the comparison is to be mid or low-SAPS, M1 ESP X3 0W-40 is Porsche C40, MB 229.31/229.51/229.52, VW 511 00 and dexos 2. BUT, it has 900ppm of phosphorous. So, even for GPF protection, the phosphorous levels remain (significantly) higher than what we see in the SRT oil.

The SRT 0W-40 has ~700ppm of phosphorous according to the Blackstone UOA so I don't even think it's fair to call it mid or low SAPS, as it has lower phosphorous than those. I will reiterate, it's very much just an API SN/SN Plus/SP GF-5/GF-6 additive package in a 0W-40. It could have been a 5W-30, and, if you look at that VOA and trust Blackstone, that sample I linked was one, lol.

This really shouldn't be surprising, the Corvette and LSx family recommended M1 5W-30 for aeons, recommending a heavier (and more heavily fortified) oil for track use (the Corvette Factory Race team used M1 0W-40, 'vette manual recommended M1 15W-50 IIRC). They've of course now shifted to the DexosR requirement, not sure if we have a VOA yet on that or not?

2021 Grand Cherokee 4x4 3.6 40,900 miles

Out - QS full syn 0w-20 & Wix. 6k oci
In - Providence Full Syn 0w-20 & Wix

This is Rural Kings brand (formerly known as Harvest King oil). I’ve used it off and on for several years. I already have the black stone sample kit to see how it holds up after a 6k mile oil change. I’ll report back with the results then.
FA6B8302-4814-448C-B714-15BC90C26352.jpeg

Did oil changes on two cars in the last couple of days.

2016 Scion FR-S - 4000km
Out: M1 0w40 and Tokyo Roki oil filter
In: M1 0w40 and Tokyo Roki oil filter

2020 Hyundai Tucson - 2500km
Out: M1 ESP 5w30 and OEM filter
In: M1 ESP 5w30 and OEM filter

Short OCI's compared to what other people are doing, but the FRS is a summer car and always gets an oil change before it gets put away for the winter and the Tucson is on a severe service schedule.

2008 MB E320 Bluetec
155k miles
5k on oil. Just a month shy of the annual OOM. No consumption by the dipstick, as always.
Out: 8qts Castrol C3 5W-30
Mahle filter
In: 8qts Castrol LL 5W-30
Napa Gold filter, new copper washer
Oil drained by plug for the fist time. No crud or glops or anything to indicate 14 years of the suction method doesn't get it all out. 8qts is 8qts. Black and full of soot, of course.

Back