Post your latest oil change

Tonight 2015 Chevy Silverado.
Out Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 0W20
Off AcDelco PF63 oil filter

In 8qts Mobil 1 Truck and Suv 0W20
On AcDelco PF63 filter

Both vehicles are now ready for the long winter months.

Attachments

• IMG-2322.jpg
    IMG-2322.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 16
As you and I have gone over previously, the catalyst part #'s are the exact same for the M1 0W-40 era cars and the Pennzoil cars. There is fundamentally no difference. Heck, if I remember correctly, the 5.7L cars from that era also had the same cats. This is a topic you and I are going to vehemently disagree on it appears, but this strikes me as a ridiculous boogeyman whose mythos has extended far beyond its reach.

I'm honestly not sure why you'd have concerns here. We are talking a few hundred PPM difference, if you are consuming enough oil for that to be a problem, it's not going to matter which oil you are using. Sure, it might get you out of the warranty period, but they are still going to fail regardless of which oil you are using.

And yes, newer Euro vehicles stopped using full-SAPS oils when GPF's were introduced, which we've also already been over. GPF's are more sensitive to poisoning than traditional catalysts, and this also coincided with many shifting to lighter oils, which will naturally have a higher tendency to consume. And then of course there's the issue with LSPI. None of this applies to the 5.7L, 6.4L and 6.2L HEMI engines however, which are port injected and backed by traditional catalysts.

What revisions? The Apache 6.4L SRT engine has remained almost entirely unchanged since it was introduced, save a few small tweaks that increased power output, and that was relatively early on and of course several lifter revisions, which we've also been over. There's nothing that would, or even could, be done to the engine to change the suitability of a full-SAPS lubricant besides slapping a GPF behind it and we know that isn't happening.

- The SRT 6.4L/392 was introduced in 2011
- The truck 6.4L (HD) version was introduced in 2014
- Hellcat 6.2L was introduced in 2014 (2015 MY)

The acquisition of Chrysler by FIAT didn't complete until January of 2014. However, the SRT Pennzoil product was introduced mid-2012.

Hellcat engine development started in early 2011.

So no, I would assume the Hellcat engine was developed on, and validated with Mobil 1 0W-40, since it started before the Pennzoil product existed.

Of course it wasn't until after the acquisition that FIAT scrapped the factory and service fill contract with Mobil and tossed together the SRT oil and it took quite a while for dealers to get it. Mine was still using Mobil products for quite a while after, only getting in the Pennzoil products as the Mobil products were getting replaced.

The main difference here is that the SRT oil is a one-trick pony with 13% Noack and an API SN/GF-6 style additive package, with no other approvals, while the Euro lubes all have 229.5 (10% Noack limit) A3/B4, Porsche A40, VW 502...etc. Tons of OEM testing.

If the comparison is to be mid or low-SAPS, M1 ESP X3 0W-40 is Porsche C40, MB 229.31/229.51/229.52, VW 511 00 and dexos 2. BUT, it has 900ppm of phosphorous. So, even for GPF protection, the phosphorous levels remain (significantly) higher than what we see in the SRT oil.

The SRT 0W-40 has ~700ppm of phosphorous according to the Blackstone UOA so I don't even think it's fair to call it mid or low SAPS, as it has lower phosphorous than those. I will reiterate, it's very much just an API SN/SN Plus/SP GF-5/GF-6 additive package in a 0W-40. It could have been a 5W-30, and, if you look at that VOA and trust Blackstone, that sample I linked was one, lol.

This really shouldn't be surprising, the Corvette and LSx family recommended M1 5W-30 for aeons, recommending a heavier (and more heavily fortified) oil for track use (the Corvette Factory Race team used M1 0W-40, 'vette manual recommended M1 15W-50 IIRC). They've of course now shifted to the DexosR requirement, not sure if we have a VOA yet on that or not?
Your remarks regarding catalyst system contamination and phosphorus levels in oil are what I've thought all along. Never understood how lowering the amount of phosphorus was supposed to extend converter life when the engine is gulping oil. It's eventually going to contaminate that converter regardless.

Your remarks regarding catalyst system contamination and phosphorus levels in oil are what I've thought all along. Never understood how lowering the amount of phosphorus was supposed to extend converter life when the engine is gulping oil. It's eventually going to contaminate that converter regardless.
I posted this in another thread yesterday:

What one has to consider about catalyst poisoning is that it's cumulative. It's like lead poisoning in the body or mercury, it doesn't get processed out. So, if you are consuming enough oil to kill the cats with phosphorous, whether it's 700ppm or 1,000ppm, the end result is the same, you'll reach that fatal concentration at some point. Would be easy enough to toss this into a spreadsheet and compare the two, but consider federal emissions warranty requirements and allowance for oil consumption by OEM's for "acceptable" as well as the pretty low bar set by the API for performance and it's pretty easy to read between the lines as to why API phosphorous limits for xW-30 oils and below are so low.

For Euro approvals, the quality of the oils is higher, because the approvals are more stringent, and so we aren't seeing the same crack-down on phosphorous as we do with the API despite the prolific use of GPF's. Even for light oils like M1 ESP X2 0W-20, phosphorous is at 880ppm, above the API limit, while EP 0W-20 is 760ppm. EP High Mileage is right at the limit at 800ppm.

And note that xW-40's and xW-50's are not required to have low levels of phosphorous by the API, it only applies to lighter oils.

I posted this in another thread yesterday:

What one has to consider about catalyst poisoning is that it's cumulative. It's like lead poisoning in the body or mercury, it doesn't get processed out. So, if you are consuming enough oil to kill the cats with phosphorous, whether it's 700ppm or 1,000ppm, the end result is the same, you'll reach that fatal concentration at some point. Would be easy enough to toss this into a spreadsheet and compare the two, but consider federal emissions warranty requirements and allowance for oil consumption by OEM's for "acceptable" as well as the pretty low bar set by the API for performance and it's pretty easy to read between the lines as to why API phosphorous limits for xW-30 oils and below are so low.

For Euro approvals, the quality of the oils is higher, because the approvals are more stringent, and so we aren't seeing the same crack-down on phosphorous as we do with the API despite the prolific use of GPF's. Even for light oils like M1 ESP X2 0W-20, phosphorous is at 880ppm, above the API limit, while EP 0W-20 is 760ppm. EP High Mileage is right at the limit at 800ppm.

And note that xW-40's and xW-50's are not required to have low levels of phosphorous by the API, it only applies to lighter oils.
Just curious... what do you consider to be the cream of the crop these days as far as oils? Nevermind costs, I don't really care about that. I'm currently running an API CI-4/SL HDEO in my 2004 Silverado. It's completely anecdotal but I'm quite pleased with it's performance as far as the way the engine runs and stays clean with it. Currently 5000 miles into the oci.

Just curious... what do you consider to be the cream of the crop these days as far as oils? Nevermind costs, I don't really care about that. I'm currently running an API CI-4/SL HDEO in my 2004 Silverado. It's completely anecdotal but I'm quite pleased with it's performance as far as the way the engine runs and stays clean with it. Currently 5000 miles into the oci.
LMG, HPL

- Money no object? @High Performance Lubricants Super Car series (what I'm currently running)
- Off the shelf? Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (where appropriate)

Little late posting this but it’s the oil change on my wife’s 2014 Chevy Cruze with the 1.8l ecotec

Oil change mileage - 173822
Oil change date - 9/30/22
Motor oil used - SuperTech 5w30 Full Synthetic
Oil Filter Used - Wix 57674
Miles on oil - 7348

This will probably be the last oil change with SuperTech. With the price hikes and a newly acquired Costco membership, I’ll probably be switching to Kirkland Signature.

Daughter’s 18 Kia Sportage

Out: 4.25 quarts PPHM 5W-20, 1 quart HPL EC and Fram filter
This is the second filter on this runof HPL EC. The first filter was changed at 2,000 miles and topped off.
This run was an additional 1,500 miles on a fresh filter.

In: 5 quarts PPHM 5W-30, 0.25 quarts HPL EC and a OEM Hyunda/Kia filter

The HCL EC really slowed down the oil burning. We’ll see if it starts back up again!

2021 Ford Escape Hybrid
Out: Syn blend Motorcraft 0w20 + FL910
In: Full synthetic Motorcraft 0w20 + FL910

Paid for 6 oil changes at the time of purchase (like $35 each), ford has given some ford points that I happily used for an upgrade to fully synthetic oil today :)

Back