Microgard Select - No Love?

I don't have an O'Reilly's by me, but I do have an AutoZone and they have an STP extended life and that's made in China is that the same filter?
Don't premium Guard, Ecogard and microguard aren't they all the same filter? The premium line?
No, Microgard Select/Premium Guard EX are made in Vietnam.

Looks like the STP uses multiple different designs, some from CHAMP, WIX, etc while Microgard Select uses the same design throughout their whole line.

13 Edge 3.5

Yeah that STP Extended looks to be the same filter at least from their website photos below and it shows China but PG also has facilities there fwir.. what i have noticed with that Premium Guard family is they share the same milky silver baseplate and the outside gasket is usually silicone and brighter than average orange as is the adbv... Inner tube always has very large holes too.

your model is 10590XL.. I have seen whip city wrencher open up some of these STP Extended models and they looked like cheaper champ filters with nitrile gaskets.. if you walk in there and you open the box and see a nitrile outer gasket and even the adbv then I would pass.. Here is what AZ shows which is identical to PG filters except china made vs vietnam but otherwise identical : https://www.autozone.com/filters-an...-extended-life-oil-filter-s10590xl/663658_0_0

The microgard select certainly looks well made, but $11 bucks seems like a lot of money for a 25 micron filter?

You can buy a Fram with a better 20 micron filter rating for less money. Champ XL or Fram OCOD are 25 microns and cost less than half.

I suppose it checks all the boxes for build quality if that's your primary concern. I would be happy to run them if they were cheaper.

Saw a microguard select on OR's website, it was collapsed after 4k .
It was on a Equinox 2.4, filter was manufactured in Vietnam.

Microguard select-- no thanks

...Really? This "story" is exactly like every other consumer experience with ANY product or service. It's anecdotal and subjective.

It's not even worth commentary. (Not even about the "Select" model of this filter either.) You've read one unsubstantiated "story" and then.... "No thanks".

Wow... o_O

Link.

Sounds like you are confusing the Microgard and Microgard Select which are 2 different filter lines. The "Microgard" line is not a quality filter like the select is.
I don’t like either one actually

...Really? This "story" is exactly like every other consumer experience with ANY product or service. It's anecdotal and subjective.

It's not even worth commentary. (Not even about the "Select" model of this filter either.) You've read one unsubstantiated "story" and then.... "No thanks".

Wow... o_O
🃏🚨 They are both 🚮 lower tier, 🤢

Now I thought Microguard select was a decent filter?

Better than most upper level filters IMO.. except for full synthetic wire backed but I have no need for those.. I think they are overkill and just too thick .. just my take

Now I thought Microguard select was a decent filter?
They are high quality oil filters, the overall build quality is probably the best on the market.

99% at 25 Microns very good.

People have already gone over the 10,000 mile rating and it held up perfectly, in my opinion these filters are under-rated although I do not recommend going over what they are rated for.

Let's do this Scott, lets make a challenge for you, do some research and find actual proof of a Microgard Select failing or as mentioned above by the other person "collapsing" let me know when and how many failures you find. And do not confuse the regular Microgard for the Select.

And then after you do that research you make your own conclusion on if it is a decent filter or not.

I’d bet the filter in the link that was posted bottomed out on the filter mount stud and the seal didn’t make contact. I’ve seen that posted about a different brand but I don’t remember the engine brand. I don’t know which model number it was but they are built to fit many different engines. I would have no reservations about running the microguard select filters on my equipment. Really like the big holes in the center tube and the coil springs.

Like what you want, but you are making a claim that you seen a Microgard Select collapsed at 4k miles on a website so link to it show the proof.

You also linked to another forum about a completely different filter.

Here is the link for MSL57082, pictures in comments:

Pics don’t show holes. However, those filters often come out real rough looking. Best ones are the Hengst in the ACDelco box.

Attachments

• IMG_1274.jpeg
    IMG_1274.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Here is the link for MSL57082, pictures in comments:

Pics don’t show holes. However, those filters often come out real rough looking. Best ones are the Hengst in the ACDelco box.
Guy who made the review claims the filter was "bypassing". He has zero evidence of that except that, and seems to be basing it on the wavy pleats (it didn't actually "collapse" - more like it was slightly compressed during installation), which doesn't cause an oil filter to bypass. Lots of different brand cartridge filters show wavy pleats after use. Could also be that the filter compressed some with installation (also somewhat common), but that doesn't cause a filter to "bypass" either.

Last edited:
Back