Microgard Select - No Love?

I'm sure it's a great filter. The reason most people don't use them is it's around twice the price of an OEM filter (for my cars anyway.) I see no reason to use these for a 5K OCI, which is what I typically do.

Vietnam. And well made. IMO, overpriced but it’s a chain parts store.

I would agree overpriced but only if you buy the Oreilly one with the Microgard sticker on it.. Premium Guard is the manufacturer and when you buy their version it is around $8 on walmart.com.. The model that fits my car is $7

these are much higher quality on a consistent basis than most anything I have seen from M&H , Champ or First Brands offerings including (especially Fram).. Mobil, K&N , Purolator.... as well as Wix

Last edited:
I would agree overpriced but only if you buy the Oreilly one with the Microgard sticker on it.. Premium Guard is the manufacturer and when you buy their version it is around $8 on walmart.com.. The model that fits my car is $7

these are much higher quality on a consistent basis than most anything I have seen including Champ or First Brands offerings (especially Fram).. Mobil, K&N , Purolator.
O'Really stock is over $400 a share for a reason.

O'Really stock is over $400 a share for a reason.
I had a chat with an AutoZone Parts Sales Manager the other night ago. She used to work at O’Really. She said while AZ has the better rewards/data mining operation and Bridgestone Americas Retail Operations(Firestone/Wheel Works stores) as a major national account, despite the deal they signed with Advance to sell DieHard, she said O’Reilly is better at reaching out to a younger clientele and has the best POS system in the industry. Advance does a better job with pro accounts - they own Worldpac as their trump card with the shops, also doesn’t hurt that Pep Boys outside of Philly is at the same building as an Advance - like how Wheel Works before Bridgestone moved into Grand Auto Supply service bays when pre-O’Really Kragen bought out Oakland-based Grand Auto from PACCAR in the 1990s. AutoZone, to her is the “cheapskate” DIY store with a no-quibble warranty policy, the Home Depot of of parts stores - she told me all the parts stores parts are the same. Which confirmed my suspicions Premium Guard is aiming for the chains, as well as Mevotech and MAT Holdings supplying the Duralast, MasterPro/BrakeBest and DriveWorks/WearEver brake/chassis programs.

IMO I use the chains for small ****, but I had to make a choice, it’s O’Really, unless it’s Chinesium that I know need to use the warranty with - then it’s AZ. Nearest Advance is a 10 mile drive in either direction, and they charge more than OR/AZ. Ain’t worth it.

Last edited:
We make so many filters here in the USA (and my state)
Champ Labs/Fram has their tentacles in almost anything filtration. Walmart is still buying from them… for now. I wouldn’t be surprised if SuperTechs become a Premium Guard product. But that would mean First Brands wants their stuff out of Walmart - O’Reilly doesn’t carry much Fram. Energizer licensed the rights to STP oil/filters to AutoZone - the current OFs I saw at AZ appear to be Premium Guard.

With that said, I installed a Ecogard(same thing) fuel filter on a Chevy truck - made in China but it seemed as nice as the US-made ACDelco(Champ Labs or M+H). I removed a Premium Guard off a co-worker’s car, made in China but seemed nicer than the usual E-core or Fram(Service Champ) I’ve seen from the local quick lube. A local quick lube here is now switching over to Puro Reds.

I had a chat with an AutoZone Parts Sales Manager the other night ago. She used to work at O’Really. She said while AZ has the better rewards/data mining operation and Bridgestone Americas Retail Operations(Firestone/Wheel Works stores) as a major national account, despite the deal they signed with Advance to sell DieHard, she said O’Reilly is better at reaching out to a younger clientele and has the best POS system in the industry. Advance does a better job with pro accounts - they own Worldpac as their trump card with the shops, also doesn’t hurt that Pep Boys outside of Philly is at the same building as an Advance - like how Wheel Works before Bridgestone moved into Grand Auto Supply service bays when pre-O’Really Kragen bought out Oakland-based Grand Auto from PACCAR in the 1990s. AutoZone, to her is the “cheapskate” DIY store with a no-quibble warranty policy, the Home Depot of of parts stores - she told me all the parts stores parts are the same. Which confirmed my suspicions Premium Guard is aiming for the chains, as well as Mevotech and MAT Holdings supplying the Duralast, MasterPro/BrakeBest and DriveWorks/WearEver brake/chassis programs.

IMO I use the chains for small ****, but I had to make a choice, it’s O’Really, unless it’s Chinesium that I know need to use the warranty with - then it’s AZ. Nearest Advance is a 10 mile drive in either direction, and they charge more than OR/AZ. Ain’t worth it.
My experience with O'Really is I've been in their rewards program for over 5 years now and it hasn't paid me a cent. I don't participate in in that joke anymore and all they get is my used oil.

these are much higher quality on a consistent basis than most anything I have seen from M&H , Champ or First Brands offerings including (especially Fram).. Mobil, K&N , Purolator.... as well as Wix
I would agree with that statement. I look for consistency in manufacturing and the changing of hands (Other filters) has caused me to look elsewhere (From WIX).

This filter does all the right things (for me) and $11?? Really? Not a deal breaker.

My experience with O'Really is I've been in their rewards program for over 5 years now and it hasn't paid me a cent. I don't participate in in that joke anymore and all they get is my used oil.
I’ve gotten $5 rewards for every $150 I spend. My dad drives full-time for Lyft, there’s a Subaru in my care that gets M1 ESP and I get small stuff from O’R all the time.

Seems like a fine filter - but it would have to have some measurable benefit to pay that much more than a Fram. It is nice to have options however.

Well at the cost of their oil at O'Really's I save more than $5 on my first jug of QSFS at Walmart
I get $5 coupons emailed all the time. That and their Combo Oil/ Filter deal drops down the price also. As far as Auto shops go... O'Reilly has always been good to me. They seem to have their #&%$# together much better than Autozone for example. Dealing with NAPA is like going back in time and well... Ya'll know.

I guess I never understood how many here "squeeze a nickle til' it cries". I mean... it's your car! I don't understand saving $5 on a $30k+ vehicle has anything to do with longevity. ? Now.... I'm probabaly not going to choose and AMSOIL or Royal Purple filter.... My car never knows the difference. What drives my selection is the actual part itself along with the company that builds it.

I USED to really like buying oil at Walmart... now... that department seems like an afterthought. And three grades of SuperTech? C'mon.... Life's too short.

After some digging I did finally find a video of a Microgard Select cut open after use, the guy says around 12,000 miles on it, looks like it held up extremely well. I was thinking the gasket was crushed down pretty far but I looked up the model number and that is just how it is on that specific one.

Last edited:

A Local Bartender down in Houston named Scotty does car videos and he even prefers the Premium Guard/Microgard filters and funny enough.. he cut one open below and once again the pleat integrity is perfect at 10k.

Back