Microgard Select - No Love?

You are right ^^^^^^^

I stated this on here earlier.

Federated Auto parts was selling these for $5.39 for the 14610 filter. Granted that was the price 4 years ago. I bet now it's likely $6.99 or so.

They're in all the O'Reilly auto parts stores. For me, spending $11 on a well made filter is worth it.
Never been in an Oreilly but if they are anything like the chain stores like Auto Zone or Advance, most of their stuff is overpriced so I rarely visit them. $35 for a jug oil that's $25 at Walmart. $130 batteries that are $60 at WM. Is that filter twice as good for twice that price? How would you even quantify that?

MG Select been discussed here before, iirc pretty much since introed by O'R. Seems like a solid filter. When they started though, the OG Ultra was being made and sold for less money, ~$8-9 with US coo. In that case, imo it was the OG Ultra ftw.

For $11, keeps some US made filters with similar efficiency in contention for similar or less money (e.g. P1, current Ultra). Where possible, I prefer US made but if the MG Select part of an excellent oil & filter promo, I'd use it. That said, rarely if ever see one of those that beats purchase of synthetic oil and separate filter of choice.

Last edited:
There's a regular Microgard and the better "Select" version and both are less expensive than the cheaper WIX, are they not ?
Yes I figured they was obvious. Price varies by part number of course but in general on commercial accounts MGL is very cheap, MSL is still pretty cheap, Wix has gone up quite a bit unless you buy $$,$$$/year in just Wix filters or have a special negotiated account (like some county government fleet customers) then Wix is heavily discounted across the board. So there is A LOT of $ margin on Wix. For oil filters it seems most of our shops around here mostly just stock our Microgards 3-4 at a time at this point vs buying the Wix protec filters that come in cases as the cases are still a good deal but that means they have to buy 12 at a time.

Last edited:
I just changed my oil & filter on my 2001 LeSabre. This time, I went with the Microguard Select (Always been a WIX fan) and I must say... for $11 it's a very nice, well made filter.

It came plastic wrapped and what I liked was the larger inlet holes and "holes" instead of louvers. (Just personal preference). When installing, I liked how the filter made contact with the gasket and it snugged-down really nice. (I've had WIX filters sometimes hit the bottom of the can.) Nice thick gasket on these.

I'm not going to get into efficiency specs and all... but based on what I can see and feel, this will be my new go-to filter. I don't understand why it's not getting more 'love'.

View attachment 143650View attachment 143651
View attachment 143652
View attachment 143653
View attachment 143654
View attachment 143655
I just installed one on my Jeep Wrangler, transitioned from the Mobil 1 filter. After tearing that one apart, it's a pretty nice filter...just not $15-16 nice. With the MSL, I feel like I'm getting what I'm paying for. If high single digits and low double digits is our brave new world, I'll stick with this one.

Edit: also, the glue jobs on these are solid and clean. The peace of mind that comes from quality construction is worth the extra money.

Last edited:
I guess it was about six weeks ago I did oil changes on my Rogue and Mrs. Jimmy's Rogue. I paid $33.99 for each one with the oil change deal at O'Reilly that included a five quart jug of their Syntec 0W20 and a Microgard Select filter. That is maybe 8 or 10 dollars more than what I would have paid for each oil change at Walmart, depending on what WM might have had on sale at the time. For me it is well worth the few extra bucks to not have to go into Walmart. The WM we have here is usually a much less than pleasant experience. Our WM here also has problems keeping oil and/or filters on the shelf.

The local O'Reilly is closer to my house than WM, it is quiet in the O'Reilly store, they don't blast techno pop music in the store and at least for the last few times I have been there they have older guys behind the counter that know their stuff and are willing to help you out. I also like being able to inspect a filter before I buy it, make sure it's not dented or anything, plus I like to be sure what is in the filter box is the same as the label on the filter box. I don't order oil or filters. I think it is best to be able to be sure I get the right parts that are in good shape, oil jugs not leaking, etc.

I always check the stock online before I go but I like being able to just walk into an O'Reilly and get what I need right there on the shelf with no hassles. I don't mean to preach about O'Reilly but it is always a good shopping experience there. The Syntec oil and MG Select filters are working out very well for both of our cars and O'Reilly almost always has a sale on the Syntec/MG Select.

Last edited:
I’m running a MSL57356 on my 05 Accord and a MSL57060 on 13 Tahoe. I learned about the filter from this thread below and watching the WCW video that has been link already in the comments.

threadhttps://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/oreillys-micrgogard-msl57712-not-cut-open.363068/

That is a PREMIUM GUARD filter with a "Microgard" sticker on it.. LOL

You guys want to save a couple bucks off the $11 ?.. Then buy the Premium Guard.. it is the same filter ... Mine was $7 and change on walmart.com for the extended life ... so check your model there . Find your model here: https://www.pgfilters.com/filter-lookup/

Interesting! Thanks for that tip.

From my own experience... I actually like examining the product in-my-hands prior to purchasing. My local O'Reilly's is less than a mile away and well, that's my point.

Shopping at Walmart has been really challenging lately. Many times the Oil/Filter selections are FRAM and Champion but the biggest turn-off is the store itself. Filters are broken into, oil not on the shelves, dirty and it feels like there's no one manning the helm. Now that SuperTech is $26 and I can get a filter and O'Reilly's Syntec combo for $33... seems like a great deal. And... and... I can avoid Walmart.

Lastly, I'm just not impressed with ANY FRAM product. I'm somewhat disappointed in the WIX lineup and I'm certainly not into striving for the highest beta ratio/ cost analysis/ filtering efficiency/ 20k miles agenda. All I want is for my filters to be clean, and consistent and NOT BLOW UP.

Saving a $5 is great... but then... I'll buy $20 worth of lottery tickets which kinda' negates it all. Besides the point, but basically, I like this filter because it appears (and is) well made.

Yeah looks like yours is $8.24 for the extended life model. PG111EX

Perhaps I've overlooked it... but this website does not show any local stores where this can be purchased. Any ideas? I suppose if they offered a bulk purchase, I might entertain that also. Seems like the same filter as the Microgard.

Perhaps I've overlooked it... but this website does not show any local stores where this can be purchased. Any ideas? I suppose if they offered a bulk purchase, I might entertain that also. Seems like the same filter as the Microgard.

They don't stock it in local stores.. so you just order it online.. they ship for free if you spend over $35 or you are a + member..... I always need things from there so $35 is an easy threshold for me.. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Premium-PG111EX-Extended-Life-Oil-Filter/736762261

Remember these are sealed filters with a plastic covering so that is a nice safeguard plus their QC is the top in the industry IMO.. so I don't worry too much myself. .. If any issue you can return it when you are at any walmart.

They don't stock it in local stores.. so you just order it online.. they ship for free if you spend over $35 or you are a + member..... I always need things from there so $35 is an easy threshold for me.. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Premium-PG111EX-Extended-Life-Oil-Filter/736762261

Remember these are sealed filters with a plastic covering so that is a nice safeguard plus their QC is the top in the industry IMO.. so I don't worry too much myself. .. If any issue you can return it when you are at any walmart.
Thanks for the link! Yeah, I'm thinking about this and yet the 6-pack costs $62.32. That's $10.33 per filter. Not sure saving $0.70cts would make me order online.

Now... if they were $35-$40 plus free shipping.... no brainer.

Thanks for the link! Yeah, I'm thinking about this and yet the 6-pack costs $62.32. That's $10.33 per filter. Not sure saving $0.70cts would make me order online.

Now... if they were $35-$40 plus free shipping.... no brainer.

yeah better to buy multiples of the single at $8.24

Back