MicroGard MGL57712 product source change

Hey gang,

I dropped by O'Reilly's today to pick up a new oil filter for my Subaru. I had been using the MicroGard Select MSL57712 which is a really nice product and a great deal if you're buying on an oil change deal. They were out of those today, but had the standard MicroGard MGL57712. The website still shows a Wix-made filter like this poster cut open. Both the standard and select used to be made by Wix, but the "Select" series was resourced some time ago to a Vietnamese manufacturer. Well, I almost left the store empty-handed, but there was was one standard MGL57712 on the shelf. I opened it up and it's no longer a Wix product, but the same Vietnamese manufacturer as the MSL series. Just like the "Select" filter it's got a rounded gasket and still has the Subaru specced bypass relief PSI. I think the only real difference between the MSL and MGL may be nitrile vs. silicone gasket & ADBV and possibly filter media. In my opinion these are both really nice filters and while I've stuck to the MSL series during SOA's filter shortage (which appears to be getting fixed with Indonesian-made Tokyo Roki filters available at dealers now) I think I'm just as happy using the MGL series.

For comparison here's the MicroGard Select MSL57712.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_3144.jpg
    IMG_3144.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3146.jpg
    IMG_3146.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3149.jpg
    IMG_3149.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3150.jpg
    IMG_3150.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 93
Others will probably mention it, but from what I've found.. the MicroGard Select oil filters at O'reilly are made by Premium Guard. Couple of posts here of internals being shown. We knew that the regular (non-select) was a Wix filter but it's starting to look like Oreilly dumped them and had Premium Guard make the basic oil filter too.. I could be wrong but from a logistics view makes sense one company would now make both.. Which from what I've seen quality-wise is a GOOD thing!

Anything that's not mann-hummel (Wix) sounds like a good move, with the low quality that company is turning out now! Glad to see Oreilly agrees with that new product move! (y)

So after saying all that, I agree with what you've said too!

Microgard Select is Premium Guard EX.

The regular Microgard (non select) are honestly trash, the filter media is very weak and tears easily so if this is a supplier change maybe O'reilly finally caught on to these issues and opted to have Premium Guard manufacture all of their filters which might be for the better.

Microgard Select is Premium Guard EX.

The regular Microgard (non select) are honestly trash, the filter media is very weak and tears easily so if this is a supplier change maybe O'reilly finally caught on to these issues and opted to have Premium Guard manufacture all of their filters which might be for the better.

Napa did the same thing with the regular Proformer line.

At least for now they are Premium Guard :
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/napa-proformer-27055-cut-open.368323/

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/napa-proformer-21394-mp-cut-open.364866/

Others will probably mention it, but from what I've found.. the MicroGard Select oil filters at O'reilly are made by Premium Guard. Couple of posts here of internals being shown. We knew that the regular (non-select) was a Wix filter but it's starting to look like Oreilly dumped them and had Premium Guard make the basic oil filter too.. I could be wrong but from a logistics view makes sense one company would now make both.. Which from what I've seen quality-wise is a GOOD thing!

Anything that's not mann-hummel (Wix) sounds like a good move, with the low quality that company is turning out now! Glad to see Oreilly agrees with that new product move! (y)

So after saying all that, I agree with what you've said too!

Yeah I think these are Premium Guard products. Interestingly though the Autozone house brand appears to be Premium Guard for my application as well, but the product looks different and is made in China. See: STP S4615 and the PG4615.

Looks a lot like this filter I got from RA. Someone on this board posted that if you order the "varios Manufacturer" you are really getting a microgard select? Not sure the difference, but I wasn't thrilled with this filter as it was spec'd for my Nissan but is much shorter than any other brand or the OEM spec. So I imagine it would be fine, just not sure I will run it ever?

IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG

Agree with the above posts. I don't care for the regular Microgard filter. (Lots of posts on the differences.) If it were me, I'd go with the "Select" only. Excellent quality filter.
Had this been a Wix made MicroGard I would agree, but this new one seems quite nice. I’m happy to run it.

Looks a lot like this filter I got from RA. Someone on this board posted that if you order the "varios Manufacturer" you are really getting a microgard select? Not sure the difference, but I wasn't thrilled with this filter as it was spec'd for my Nissan but is much shorter than any other brand or the OEM spec. So I imagine it would be fine, just not sure I will run it ever?

View attachment 175830View attachment 175831

This appears to also be sold as a MicroGard Select MSL51365.

View attachment 175830View attachment 175831

I have used those before and yes they are shorter than others but I ran it anyway... it's a Premium Guard which is who makes Microgard and they do make some of the MG models at the taller height.

O'Reilly has been switching away from WIX for their air and oil filters and going to chinese products in the past few months. I wouldn't bother with them anymore, and stick with the Vietnamese made Select filters, which are of great quality.

O'Reilly has been switching away from WIX for their air and oil filters and going to chinese products in the past few months. I wouldn't bother with them anymore, and stick with the Vietnamese made Select filters, which are of great quality.
That is one of the reasons I've noticed about the WIX filters... They were my filter of choice for years, but recent changes got me on a search for an alternative.
The Microgard "Select" line filters are very well made. Regardless of COO, I like the way they are built. Efficiency ratings are good also.

That is one of the reasons I've noticed about the WIX filters... They were my filter of choice for years, but recent changes got me on a search for an alternative.
The Microgard "Select" line filters are very well made. Regardless of COO, I like the way they are built. Efficiency ratings are good also.
The Mexico made ones are not as good as the Vietnam filters. @53' Stude has seen that first hand & so have others.

Do you or @53' Stude have a link to the mexican made ones? I searched the oil filter forum couldn't find anything..
I know they've been used under different names since they'll relabel their filters. Thought I just saw one the other day. They were apparently WIX filters for a while. Here's one...

I know they've been used under different names since they'll relabel their filters. Thought I just saw one the other day. They were apparently WIX filters for a while. Here's one...

hey thanks for the link guess I was having brain fog.. Couldn't find it.. ahh so then could we say this (the one shown in the link) is a premium guard made filter or just Oreilly using wix for the "regular" Microgard?

Ahh.. reading further into that link some people (because of the style of ADBV) it's really a wix.. makes sense when you see the spacing on those filter pleats! wow.. grand canyon spacing! I'm starting to see what @dogememe is saying how not all regular Microgard are Premium Guard made, not yet.. Probably have to flush out the old stock (wix made/mann-hummel) then Oreilly will restock with the newer supplier..

hey thanks for the link guess I was having brain fog.. Couldn't find it.. ahh so then could we say this (the one shown in the link) is a premium guard made filter or just Oreilly using wix for the "regular" Microgard?

Ahh.. reading further into that link some people (because of the style of ADBV) it's really a wix.. makes sense when you see the spacing on those filter pleats! wow.. grand canyon spacing! I'm starting to see what @dogememe is saying how not all regular Microgard are Premium Guard made, not yet.. Probably have to flush out the old stock (wix made/mann-hummel) then Oreilly will restock with the newer supplier..
I see everything you're seeing. I just haven't seen a lot of the regular basic permium guard but it appears that we may start seeing more soon.

I see everything you're seeing. I just haven't seen a lot of the regular basic permium guard but it appears that we may start seeing more soon.
Thanks for confirming what I was seeing/thinking too! Looks like Oreilly is going in the right direction! Someone is definitely paying attention at that company, which is very good! (y) Or they're reading this forum! I wouldn't doubt it.

Back