Microgard Select - No Love?

I just changed my oil & filter on my 2001 LeSabre. This time, I went with the Microguard Select (Always been a WIX fan) and I must say... for $11 it's a very nice, well made filter.

It came plastic wrapped and what I liked was the larger inlet holes and "holes" instead of louvers. (Just personal preference). When installing, I liked how the filter made contact with the gasket and it snugged-down really nice. (I've had WIX filters sometimes hit the bottom of the can.) Nice thick gasket on these.

I'm not going to get into efficiency specs and all... but based on what I can see and feel, this will be my new go-to filter. I don't understand why it's not getting more 'love'.

View attachment 143650View attachment 143651
View attachment 143652
View attachment 143653
View attachment 143654
View attachment 143655
I can get any STP xl for under $3.80 all day. Or even a MC FL-910S for $3.97

That’s the love

The STP S7317XL - which would be the common filter for the Just about every Honda, many Nissans and a bunch of old Hyundai and Dodge vehicles - looks like a ChampXL - not a microgard. Maybe its STP by application and they source multiple places??

Here we are once again with another Microgard Select cut open and the quality remains the same, very good. That Beck/Arnley looks like a good filter too.

Here we are once again with another Microgard Select cut open and the quality remains the same, very good. That Beck/Arnley looks like a good filter too.

Sure does! That's one of the reasons I like this filter. Both look good.

That Beck/Arnley looks like a good filter too.

Yes that Beck Arnley is coming from a Korean factory and looks like similar build to the Pentius which are always excellent QC as well.. I have not seen a very screwy Pentius or Premium Guard anywhere.

The Premium Guard (Microgard) once again looking very good.

Last edited:
Yes that Beck Arnley is coming from a Korean factory and looks like similar build to the Pentius which are always excellent QC as well.. I have not seen a very screwy Pentius or Premium Guard anywhere.

The Premium Guard (Microgard) once again looking very good.
Yes. That's primarily the reason I started this thread. I was a little perplexed why this filter gets passed over so much. Cost? (Probably).

I think Whip City may do a review on this and the Premium Guard, Parts Plus filters... (Somewhat less expensive). At any rate, I also have not seen or read anything bad about these filters.

I checked the Microgard Select filter for my 6.7 Cummins today and it has a bypass valve in it. Cummins/Fleetguard , Mopar, Baldwin and Donaldson filters do not. Won’t be using them.

I checked the Microgard Select filter for my 6.7 Cummins today and it has a bypass valve in it. Cummins/Fleetguard , Mopar, Baldwin and Donaldson filters do not. Won’t be using them.
Are you positive it has a bypass, because the filter for my 4.3 looks like it has a bypass but it doesn't, my Toyota filter does though.

I would stick to running OEM filters on diesels to begin with though.

Back