Microgard Select - No Love?

Guy who made the review claims the filter was "bypassing". He has zero evidence of that except that, and seems to be basing it on the wavy pleats (it didn't actually "collapse" - more like it was slightly compressed during installation), which doesn't cause an oil filter to bypass. Lots of different brand cartridge filters show wavy pleats after use. Could also be that the filter compressed some with installation (also somewhat common), but that doesn't cause a filter to "bypass" either.
The recent fram cut opens also show pretty wavy media. There also a combo synthetic blend media. I wonder if here is something about the blend media's - maybe they expand / contract at different rates which causes the waviness.

Guy who made the review claims the filter was "bypassing". He has zero evidence of that except that, and seems to be basing it on the wavy pleats (it didn't actually "collapse" - more like it was slightly compressed during installation), which doesn't cause an oil filter to bypass. Lots of different brand cartridge filters show wavy pleats after use. Could also be that the filter compressed some with installation (also somewhat common), but that doesn't cause a filter to "bypass" either.
Oh I agree, just assuming this is the review and pictures that are referred to previously.

The way that filter looked happens a lot on the engines that use it.

...Really? This "story" is exactly like every other consumer experience with ANY product or service. It's anecdotal and subjective.

It's not even worth commentary. (Not even about the "Select" model of this filter either.) You've read one unsubstantiated "story" and then.... "No thanks".

Wow... o_O
I agree! It is common for oil pressure to take a bit longer after an oil change. This isolated report is meaningless.

Here is the link for MSL57082, pictures in comments:

Pics don’t show holes. However, those filters often come out real rough looking. Best ones are the Hengst in the ACDelco box.

Yes for the Cartridge filters.. as you can see , various reputable manufacturers in this stream of photos here : https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...HYXEDyoQ0pQJegQICRAB&biw=1600&bih=849&dpr=1.6

...Really? This "story" is exactly like every other consumer experience with ANY product or service. It's anecdotal and subjective.

It's not even worth commentary. (Not even about the "Select" model of this filter either.) You've read one unsubstantiated "story" and then.... "No thanks".

Wow... o_O
Agreed. You are absolutely right!

Now, please explain the difference between it, and all the other anecdotal and subjective comments in this thread, praising accolades for the Microgard quality?

Agreed. You are absolutely right!

Now, please explain the difference between it, and all the other anecdotal and subjective comments in this thread, praising accolades for the Microgard quality?
Let's just call it a "preponderance of evidence." We have C&P's of the filter and comparisons to other filters that have been posted here on BITOG and YouTube. We have the "Filter Experts" chiming-in here and I've also personal experience with O'Reilly managers/employees that have spoken very highly about the "Select" version based on customer experiences.

Outside of a peer reviewed study, I tend to look at a wide variety of sources. (Yes, including some guy on the Toyota forum.) I'm not stating the Microgard Select is the best thing since sliced bread. (Although it could be taken that way.) I am saying (based upon C&P's etc.) this filter is very well constructed and (So far) hasn't exhibited many of the flaws/defects we have seen recently in the other major filter companies.

You have a point.... agreed on that. I've been a WIX guy for years... However, like many here, we are always looking for something better. (Or at least, manufactured without defects.)

Let's just call it a "preponderance of evidence." We have C&P's of the filter and comparisons to other filters that have been posted here on BITOG and YouTube. We have the "Filter Experts" chiming-in here and I've also personal experience with O'Reilly managers/employees that have spoken very highly about the "Select" version based on customer experiences.

Outside of a peer reviewed study, I tend to look at a wide variety of sources. (Yes, including some guy on the Toyota forum.) I'm not stating the Microgard Select is the best thing since sliced bread. (Although it could be taken that way.) I am saying (based upon C&P's etc.) this filter is very well constructed and (So far) hasn't exhibited many of the flaws/defects we have seen recently in the other major filter companies.

You have a point.... agreed on that. I've been a WIX guy for years... However, like many here, we are always looking for something better. (Or at least, manufactured without defects.)

I'll concede that the "community" of praises for the Microgard quality could be called a preponderance of evidence. But being a data driven person, I still stand on the "evidence" as being anecdotal and subjective.

You have been here, on BITOG, much longer than me. So you know what I am talking about, when I say that here on BITOG, we seem to swarm towards the flavor of the month. When I first started following BITOG, Purolator was the holy grail of oil filters. Until it became known as the Splitolator. Then it was Wix/NAPA Gold that could do no wrong. For a very brief flash in the pan, everyone here was singing accolades to the MicroGreen. Somewhere in all of this, there was a loyal following to the Mobil 1 and Royal Purple filters, because they were well constructed. (Sound familiar?) Then it was the Fram Ultra that everyone loved, because of an excellent filtration rating. And now? Well, today it is the MIcrogard. Next week? Who knows.

As you point out, we are always searching for something better here on BITOG. And many of these changes, in favor of one filter over another, were based upon that search for something better. But all too often, it just feels like "the flavor of the month".

When I first started following BITOG, Purolator was the holy grail of oil filters. Until it became known as the Splitolator. ...
Then it was the Fram Ultra that everyone loved, because of an excellent filtration rating.
What I saw was most of the guys who liked and used the PureOne switched over to the Fram Ultra when the Purolators started tearing media in spring of 2014. They wanted to maintain the high efficiency and low dP vs flow. Most of those stayed with the Ultra for a long time, and many more jumped on the Ultra wagon as they learned it was a great oil filter for the price. Then of course, Fram had to go and change a good thing, and now the Ultra fans who liked wire backed media are looking for some alternatives. I'd say the wire-backed Ultra was one of the most popular filters ever on BITOG.

OIl filters have changed over time - especially with consolidation and cost cutting in the industry.

I have 4 wix and an Nissan OEM filter I am hesitant to use because the louvers don't look open enough to me. They likely are, but I am hesitant to chance it - so they collect dust. I was happy to move to Fram with holes, however there now going to louvers. There louvers are shaped different and are very open -- for now. e-core's had issues when they first came out, but those issues seem to have been overcome, so I have happily run a few e-cores and will continue doing so - they seem to be a way to cut cost without degrading performance.

To say this or that filter was the favorite and isn't any longer is normal - popular products get cheapened, new products come on the market. Even OEM's are allowing their suppliers to change oil filter specs over time. That's the consumer product world I guess - its a moving target.

I'll concede that the "community" of praises for the Microgard quality could be called a preponderance of evidence. But being a data driven person, I still stand on the "evidence" as being anecdotal and subjective.

You have been here, on BITOG, much longer than me. So you know what I am talking about, when I say that here on BITOG, we seem to swarm towards the flavor of the month. When I first started following BITOG, Purolator was the holy grail of oil filters. Until it became known as the Splitolator. Then it was Wix/NAPA Gold that could do no wrong. For a very brief flash in the pan, everyone here was singing accolades to the MicroGreen. Somewhere in all of this, there was a loyal following to the Mobil 1 and Royal Purple filters, because they were well constructed. (Sound familiar?) Then it was the Fram Ultra that everyone loved, because of an excellent filtration rating. And now? Well, today it is the MIcrogard. Next week? Who knows.

As you point out, we are always searching for something better here on BITOG. And many of these changes, in favor of one filter over another, were based upon that search for something better. But all too often, it just feels like "the flavor of the month".
I have read your post and I have to agree with you 100%! Your assessment of how things vacillate between between all the different filter manufacturers is very true!
The term: "Flavor of the month." pretty much sums it up! Yes, you make very great points about what happens (here on this site) and there tends to be a bandwagon mentality when it comes to the current month's "flavor".

Having noted this observation.... This is why I started the topic in the first place... I was wondering why there was "no love" for the Microgard. To my observations, this filter met (or exceeded) the judgement parameters of those that promoted the usual suspects (Napa/Wix, Fram Ultra, Royal Purple etc.)

While one could really fall down the proverbial rabbit hole and start examining efficiency levels and micron/flow ratings, I'm not going to do that. To me, consistency and dedication to the manufacturing process is what I look for. Most everyone here loves the Fram 'ratings" but I don't buy a product based on one 'metric".
(I don't agree with louvers for example.) The Microgard still isn't as well touted as the bigger names though... This I don't understand...

So yeah... who knows what the next "big thing" in filters will be. I have noticed that some of my favorite companies have sold-out to larger conglomerates... and this has caused some (not all) filters to lose their 'edge" of that makes sense.

So yes, you're 100% correct in your observations about "flavor of the month". Very true!

OIl filters have changed over time - especially with consolidation and cost cutting in the industry.

I have 4 wix and an Nissan OEM filter I am hesitant to use because the louvers don't look open enough to me. They likely are, but I am hesitant to chance it - so they collect dust. I was happy to move to Fram with holes, however there now going to louvers. There louvers are shaped different and are very open -- for now. e-core's had issues when they first came out, but those issues seem to have been overcome, so I have happily run a few e-cores and will continue doing so - they seem to be a way to cut cost without degrading performance.

To say this or that filter was the favorite and isn't any longer is normal - popular products get cheapened, new products come on the market. Even OEM's are allowing their suppliers to change oil filter specs over time. That's the consumer product world I guess - its a moving target.
Agreed! IF manufacturers find a way to cost-cut, they usually do!

when I say that here on BITOG, we seem to swarm towards the flavor of the month.
I disagree. People here are informed, so they move around depending on their preferences and product changes. The Wix XP was popular, however it is now essentially a purolator Boss painted black. So what does that make it now - a Wix XP still or a tearolater? Are they flavor of the month if they stop using the XP?

Per the microgard - why should anyone love a average spec, expensive filter marketed by a single brick and mortar store? Still, I am sure if they went on clearance people around here couldn't get enough of them :)

I disagree. People here are informed, so they move around depending on their preferences and product changes. The Wix XP was popular, however it is now essentially a purolator Boss painted black. So what does that make it now - a Wix XP still or a tearolater? Are they flavor of the month if they stop using the XP?

Per the microgard - why should anyone love a average spec, expensive filter marketed by a single brick and mortar store? Still, I am sure if they went on clearance people around here couldn't get enough of them :)
Expensive? In my neck of the woods, it's less than the WIX, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil. THOSE are what I would call expensive filters.

Plus... the cost goes under $9 if you want to buy in bulk off Amazon. So... I suppose people fall into a few "Camps" here on BITOG...

1. I'll pay anything as long as I'm filtering particles to utmost degree.
2. I'll pay the lowest for a filter as long as it doesn't blow-up.
3. I'll use what the "flavor of the month" is currently.

The last time i used a FRAM was on the Hyundai. It was over $14 at Walmart. The Microguard (IMHO) clicks more "boxes" than the others regardless of price.

But hey... everyone here has a "camp" they like.

Expensive? In my neck of the woods, it's less than the WIX, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil. THOSE are what I would call expensive filters.

Plus... the cost goes under $9 if you want to buy in bulk off Amazon. So... I suppose people fall into a few "Camps" here on BITOG...

1. I'll pay anything as long as I'm filtering particles to utmost degree.
2. I'll pay the lowest for a filter as long as it doesn't blow-up.
3. I'll use what the "flavor of the month" is currently.

The last time i used a FRAM was on the Hyundai. It was over $14 at Walmart. The Microguard (IMHO) clicks more "boxes" than the others regardless of price.

But hey... everyone here has a "camp" they like.
I don't think you can actually buy a microgard select from Amazon? Its a house brand for O'Reilly Auto Parts. $10.99 for me.

I believe some have said the Premium Guard is the same filter? Amazon only sells it from 3rd parties, at least in my size - which I don't do on Amazon - problems abound. I was told maybe you could go to federated and get one - but now again I am driving around looking for an oil filter.

I think if you could buy a microgard or Premium guard from a legit discounter, like RA, or WM, or shipped and sold by Amazon - it might get more love?

I don't think you can actually buy a microgard select from Amazon? Its a house brand for O'Reilly Auto Parts. $10.99 for me.

I believe some have said the Premium Guard is the same filter? Amazon only sells it from 3rd parties, at least in my size - which I don't do on Amazon - problems abound. I was told maybe you could go to federated and get one - but now again I am driving around looking for an oil filter.

I think if you could buy a microgard or Premium guard from a legit discounter, like RA, or WM, or shipped and sold by Amazon - it might get more love?

Now I understand, STP premium line is the same filter..

They have his filter on Rock under Premium Guard or PartsPlus or Pronto name https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6838988&cc=1371079&pt=5340&jsn=4308

They have his filter on Rock under Premium Guard or PartsPlus or Pronto name https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6838988&cc=1371079&pt=5340&jsn=4308
Hmm, your link says "varios manufacturers" so I never noticed that pop up on RA previosly. Next time I order from them maybe I will try it - see what I end up with.

Seems a bit grab bag ish - but for 5 bucks might be worth trying

1685995647372.jpg

Hmm, your link says "varios manufacturers" so I never noticed that pop up on RA previosly. Next time I order from them maybe I will try it - see what I end up with.

View attachment 159623

By "various" they are referring to the three models of the same PG filter...See those part numbers right above the filter photo ??.. They only align with those models I mentioned.. but these are all the same PG filter with a different sticker...... For example here is the one for your Rav4 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6839064&cc=3443909&pt=5340&jsn=3899

By "various" they are referring to the three models of the same PG filter...See those part numbers right above the filter photo ??.. They only align with those models I mentioned.. but these are all the same PG filter with a different sticker...... For example here is the one for your Rav4 https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6839064&cc=3443909&pt=5340&jsn=3899
Well, that might explain the lack of interest - you need to know the secret handshake to get one.

View attachment 159623
Looks like the same filter and if I wanted to save $6... I'd probably get one of these. Maybe I'll do a comparison, who knows.

Back