Microgard Select - No Love?

Wut? Toyota does not allow the use of premium filters?

An OEM Toyota Denso is ~$6.

the MSL looks great, but it’s also nearly double the cost.

I drive a 4.0L Toyota V6, I don’t care about premium.

Just a side observation... I find it interesting that consumers will try and get the cheapest filter for their vehicles and yet don't complain about getting a fast food meal for $10. (And often also.) Outside of the very high-priced filters, is $5 either way a deciding factor?

An OEM Toyota Denso is ~$6.

the MSL looks great, but it’s also nearly double the cost.

I drive a 4.0L Toyota V6, I don’t care about premium.

Otay.

Your choice. I was just curious as to the “specs” on a Denso versus a Microguard Select.

And yes, I know I can research the specs, but for OCIs over 5k miles, I will forgo the Happy Meal and purchase a better quality filter.

Otay.

Your choice. I was just curious as to the “specs” on a Denso versus a Microguard Select.

And yes, I know I can research the specs, but for OCIs over 5k miles, I will forgo the Happy Meal and purchase a better quality filter.

You should skip the fast food anyway.

I think you would definitely see performance improvements from skipping fast food.

Your Toyota motor will go 250k+ regardless of the parts you slap on it.

Just a side observation... I find it interesting that consumers will try and get the cheapest filter for their vehicles and yet don't complain about getting a fast food meal for $10. (And often also.) Outside of the very high-priced filters, is $5 either way a deciding factor?
Save yourself, and your money. Skimp on both. :)

5$ is both trivial and non-trivial. I’d say the biggest motivation is seeing zero substantive evidence that spending additional money on a premium filter will result in statistically significant increases in engine longevity.

The 1GR-FE in my tacoma has an extensive track record regardless of filter.

Everyone spends frivolously. If a filter makes you happy, spend away.

But seriously, skip the fast food.

OK, bumping this thread again. I don't think the Part+Plus, Premium Guard, and microgard filters are really all the same. From the same factory maybe - but not the same.

My reason - I ordered via RA per a post above the "various manufacturers" and I got a parts+Plus PG4612 filter. It is shorter than every other filter I have ever used on my Nissan's - 7317 Fram equivalents. Its 3.01 inches tall.

Every other filter I have - and I currently have about 8 brands - is 3 3/8 tall. I figured RA just subbed, so I went looking, and both Micro Guard and Parts+Plus spec the 3.01 inch tall xx4612 filter.

O'Reilly has a MSL57356 part number, that is 3-3/8 inches tall. 57356 interestingly is the Wix number for this application also 3-3/8. I had used the standard black wix for years.

I even went digging if I could find a parts+plus or a Premium Guard that meets the 57356 specs and I haven't had any luck.

So maybe there the same filter manufacturer, but the don't seem to directly cross to this application.

The xx7317 size filter is the standard filter for most Honda, Nissan and a bunch of older Chrysler vehicles, so its far from obscure.

Here are the full O'Reilly specs:

1688601822368.jpg

OK, bumping this thread again. I don't think the Part+Plus, Premium Guard, and microgard filters are really all the same. From the same factory maybe - but not the same.

My reason - I ordered via RA per a post above the "various manufacturers" and I got a parts+Plus PG4612 filter. It is shorter than every other filter I have ever used on my Nissan's - 7317 Fram equivalents. Its 3.01 inches tall.

Every other filter I have - and I currently have about 8 brands - is 3 3/8 tall. I figured RA just subbed, so I went looking, and both Micro Guard and Parts+Plus spec the 3.01 inch tall xx4612 filter.

O'Reilly has a MSL57356 part number, that is 3-3/8 inches tall. 57356 interestingly is the Wix number for this application also 3-3/8. I had used the standard black wix for years.

I even went digging if I could find a parts+plus or a Premium Guard that meets the 57356 specs and I haven't had any luck.

So maybe there the same filter manufacturer, but the don't seem to directly cross to this application.

The xx7317 size filter is the standard filter for most Honda, Nissan and a bunch of older Chrysler vehicles, so its far from obscure.

Here are the full O'Reilly specs:

View attachment 165187

Interesting. I looked-up your filter on Amazon and got these dimensions. Are you sure RA sourced this filter correctly?

1688612968792.jpg

I still like the Microgard Select compared to some others.... The world of filters and manufacturers changes all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using these in the Parts Plus version. $5.88 ea for the PH820ex and PH500ex that fits my vehicles. I started using them after being pretty disappointed with the construction of the last M1A filter that I cut open. Glue everywhere, media doesn't look great. They definitely are not what they used to be. The construction and quality control has been excellent on all of these Parts Plus Extended and Microguard Select. Seem pretty solid for sure. I'll post some photos next one I cut.

I've been using these in the Parts Plus version. $5.88 ea for the PH820ex and PH500ex that fits my vehicles. I started using them after being pretty disappointed with the construction of the last M1A filter that I cut open. Glue everywhere, media doesn't look great. They definitely are not what they used to be. The construction and quality control has been excellent on all of these Parts Plus Extended and Microguard Select. Seem pretty solid for sure. I'll post some photos next one I cut.

Do you get the Parts Plus versions from RA or another place ?

I started using them after being pretty disappointed with the construction of the last M1A filter that I cut open. Glue everywhere, media doesn't look great. They definitely are not what they used to be.
They've been like that for quite a while. I had a couple for a Nissan I no longer have, I ended up selling the car and I cut the unused filter open I still had to see how well it was built. Glue everywhere, and I mean everywhere. The bypass valve was literally glued shut because of how sloppy this thing was put together. I would more accurately describe this filter as a metal can full of dried glue with a little bit of filter media inside. This was about six years ago. I've often thought that the only people using Mobil 1 filters are people who have never cut one open to know any better.

I managed to get a few Microgard premiums on sale through Walmart. Ive got to say the quality is pretty good for what I ended up buying for $3 a filter.
That's a great deal on these excellent filters. I didn't know Walmart carried them. (Maybe some stores.)

I don't like Orielly but it looks like the Autozone STP XL's which I do like. Maybe they are the same just different label?

Back