Last time/how often do you open your hood?

Anybody have that car they're afraid of opening the hood on for fear of finding something wrong? That's me with the F250. I just know one day it's going to be "pull the cab off" time and that day can wait, thank you.

Thanks for asking! On average probably once a week for each car. Just like to check the fluid levels, look around for any issues, keep the windshield wiper fluid full, make sure that I didn’t leave the master cylinder cover loose the last time i worked on the brakes and so on. Once a month on the tractors.

Every Sunday for the Burb with over 210,000 miles. I check the coolant-level in the see through jug, check the oil level, the tranny level with it cold ( close enough), for the power steering fluid I just unscrew the cap and if it’s dripping off the end it’s good, then eye ball the brake fluid through the plastic reservoir. With a pen light I quickly look for antifreeze in the water pump area. Once in a while I’ll top up the windshield wiper fluid. That’s it.

Last edited:
Not very often. Maybe once throughout an OCI to check things.

I changed the oil in my Genesis 1,500 miles ago and haven't checked the oil yet. As in, I poured 8-1/2 quarts in and didn't even check the level when I changed it. Never do on any of my cars. Maybe I'll check it soon.

I give the engine compartment a quick once-over at every other fill-up. That includes checking the oil, coolant, brake fluid, washer fluid. That goes for all my vehicles, including the one maintained by the company's service department.

Not very often these days, sometimes only when I change the oil! In a normal winter I have to add washer fluid a few times an OCI but this winter was only 1 jug in my car. I do open the hood on the tractor everytime I use it, to check for mice damage and fluid levels.

You are all making me feel a little better. I really do look at the mowers a lot more than the cars.

Opened the hood on the Santa Fe and xB today to charge the batteries. I checked the oil while it was open as well.
Had the hood open on the xB last week also when changing the brake pads.
I would say at least once a month I open them.

On the Honda and VW every few weeks, on the Taurus a few times a week until I get comfortable with it.

Opened the hood on the Santa Fe and xB today to charge the batteries. I checked the oil while it was open as well.
Had the hood open on the xB last week also when changing the brake pads.
I would say at least once a month I open them.
Have you replaced the OEM battery on the Santa Fe yet?

Every Saturday morning if its not raining before I wash my cars. Engine bay cleaned, oil checked, visual on coolant and top off wiper fluid. Then do the interior and then wash exterior.

I'm trying to do once a week. Set up a Saturday routine. Although with driving much less I'm not sure on the value.

Back