Last time/how often do you open your hood?

Usually pop them open once a week or at least every second week. Even if we don't drive that much. These days I'm usually recharging the batteries to make sure they are good to go.

Some people never pop open the hood I'm the exact opposite 🤣.

I was thinking about this the other day as I changed the oil in one of my mowers. It is rare I open a hood on any of the cars anymore. The 2 trucks get it the most. The 2017 before I tow and the 1997 ZZ1 once month. I am horrible about checking the oil in the Caprice and Malibu. I do 4000 to 5000 mile oils changes on them and I have never had to add make up oil. The Trans Am probably hates me. I need to write a note or something to remind me to check. I check the mowers more.

changed the oil in february, opened the hood again a day or 2 later just to check everything was right. It was. I'll change the oil again in a month or 2

I'm really bad for not checking things and it bit me in the rear end a couple months ago. I was checking everything before I took it in for servicing and noticed the coolant reservoir was empty. Must of been a slow leak since it wasn't hitting the ground so I filled it up. Couple weeks it finally started hitting the ground. I told myself I need to start looking more, we'll see if I take my own advice.

I don't open my hoods (bonnets) very often, typically about every other fuel-up. Checked the Corvette fluids about 2 weeks ago and the Tacoma about 3 weeks ago. Will refuel and check Tacoma fluids again next week. None of my vehicles leak or burn oil so it's less of a necessity and more a matter of principle.

Once a month except right after a oil change when I will check the dipstick a few times to make sure all is good.

Antiques- I check fluids (especially brake fluid) before every cold start.

Daily drivers- once I know the vehicle & normal oil loss, at every service interval OR when I expect it needs topped off.

My Chevy 5.3 with 221,000 miles about twice a month. My wife’s Lexus ES350, about every other month.

About once every week or so, always before a long trip or after returning from a long trip (multi-hundred miles). Check oil and all fluids, make sure connections are secure, wipe off dirt and debris that has accumulated.

Every other week usually. I’ll fill it up and then Check fluids, leaks, quick peak at suspension, make sure everything is attached under the hood, etc...

I also like to keep my battery terminals clean and protected with a spray. I also spray down the engine bay with some simple green and rinse it off once a quarter (when it gets detailed).

Every day, since whatever vehicle I'm driving has to go through a vehicle search at work. While that's a good opportunity to take a look around, make sure there are no leaks, etc. I popped the hood and check the fluids, belts, etc. once a week when I wash the engine bay.

Being old and old school I have the habit of looking under my vehicles for signs of leaks when ever approaching them when being parked.
Sometimes a previous stain from someone else will throw me a curve but it's a habit from driving '60's and '70's cars back in the day. Same visual scan applies to tires also.
Modern tech now has has reduced my hood usage to bi weekly instead of daily. Once miles get up to the 150k then it's weekly.

Usually every Saturday when I'm working or playing out in the garage, that is if we're not on the go all weekend, then it may get skipped for a week. It's just a quick look at the coolant level, checking the oil and looking to make sure nothing seems out of sorts. I'm already there and it only takes a minute, so why not?

3 or 4 times during an OCI. Most of the time it is for washer fluid. Truck uses no oil so I don't check it often. I check for the usual fluids and a look see for something that has got sucked or blown into where it should not be.

Jeez let those girls get some sun. I open the hood on my Corvette weekly to dust it off. The other vehicles are wiped down regularly too since I have SilverStar car wash no limit passes on all but the Corvette. I don't know why but I like the engine bays looking close to a show car. Even my lowly Honda Civic engine looks very clean for over 103,000 miles. So, I check the bays on a very regular basis.

Back