Last time/how often do you open your hood?

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
I was thinking about this the other day as I changed the oil in one of my mowers. It is rare I open a hood on any of the cars anymore. The 2 trucks get it the most. The 2017 before I tow and the 1997 ZZ1 once month. I am horrible about checking the oil in the Caprice and Malibu. I do 4000 to 5000 mile oils changes on them and I have never had to add make up oil. The Trans Am probably hates me. I need to write a note or something to remind me to check. I check the mowers more.

I try to check the oil and other fluids every couple tanks of gas or so, though none of the cars we have now have ever needed any makeup oil, even on 10k runs. It's really just something I'll do at the pump while stretching if I'm on a longer road trip, or when getting the car ready before leaving on a road trip, and it does provide a bit of peace of mind. (But, it's probably not necessary for what we're driving now. If I knew I had an oil burner, I'd check it every tank of gas, most likely. I think the last time I checked the oil on the Camry was 2 or 3 tanks ago.)

Mower - Every time before I cut the grass

Ford Escape - Uses no oil so just once a month

Mustang - Every time I decide to go out for a cruise etc

I might check my own car every few weeks, but my wife and kids I tend to not check unless it’s due for service...but I probably should.

Minimum once a week for all our cars. Even the 2017 Camry I check the oil in. You can never be too safe. And mom uses a ton of washer fluid so I have to fill it up each week. Then the oil using Camry I always keep an eye on then my truck always and my projects always. Have to make sure nothing hides in my projects like snakes 🐍 or spiders 🕷. Plus we have had cars in the past if you didn’t open the hood for awhile it would get stuck and have to pry it to get it open.

Last time was two weeks ago to replace the stupid battery that went dead in my garage. It was almost 5 years old and reading only 9.3 V.

Once a week in the Peterbilt to add two gallons of oil to the leaking and smoking Cat 3126 engine.

Twice a month for the vehicles in the garage for fluid level checks and general inspection.

Nether of our vehicles use oil-I never do, except to put some windshield washer fluid in, every couple of months or so.

Every car is different, for me the newer cars only when oil change, the older cars maybe when I need to jump the battery because they were sitting for too long.

The impala, maybe once every 1000-1200 miles to check the oil. The old Ford has had the hood up a lot lately getting it back on the road.

Back