Had Chevy Cruze 2012 Engine Fire recall done rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
No dealer is going to install an under car shield that has been recalled and needs to be modified.

Yup. Excerpt from NHTSA Safety Recall Compendium...

Quote:
Dealers, retailers, distributors, and non-retail purchasers are prohibited from selling defective or
noncomplying vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment until the defect or noncompliance is
remedied. A dealer can be fined up to $5,000 per violation.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
The dealer STILL has to let you authorize ANY work to YOUR vehicle, which is YOUR property. They did not and are in error. I would insist politely that they replace what they removed.

Although they should have informed him, dealers are usually obligated from a liability standpoint to perform any outstanding safety recalls whenever a vehicle is in for service.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
The dealer STILL has to let you authorize ANY work to YOUR vehicle, which is YOUR property. They did not and are in error. I would insist politely that they replace what they removed.

Although they should have informed him, dealers are usually obligated from a liability standpoint to perform any outstanding safety recalls whenever a vehicle is in for service.

So, what happens if a dealer informs the owner that they're about to perform a safety recall work and the owner says "no, thanks"? Will the dealer just make a note of it and comply with the owner's wish or will they go ahead and perform the recall work anyway?

wow...
The stealers make money on those little repairs but most of the dealer service centers in my professional opinion are butchers.

Dealer can do safety recalls with no authorization from the owner. Thats one of the reasons they run the vin on everything that comes through the door. Recalls are forever and the dealer needs no approval to do such. I handled thousands in the same manor that the OP started the thread over. Oh and yes its good money for the dealer. No permission needed and claim paid in 24 hours or less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

So, what happens if a dealer informs the owner that they're about to perform a safety recall work and the owner says "no, thanks"? Will the dealer just make a note of it and comply with the owner's wish or will they go ahead and perform the recall work anyway?

They usually end up documenting the heck out of it to cover their bottom in case anything happens. The advisor wrongly assumed that the customer would have no problem with it, as most would be glad that it was taken care of. The OP was the 1%.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
wow...
The stealers make money on those little repairs but most of the dealer service centers in my professional opinion are butchers.

I find it to be the exact opposite - there are far more clueless independent shop butchers out there than dealers.

Found a picture of a modded Cruze on a Cruze bulletin board:
Cruze recall mod job
It's a Sawzall job alright. Well, this one looks like someone took a hot knife to the shield.

It's a safety recall. The dealer has to do it, and will never replace the parts. Dealers try not to get themselves sued. I think the whole thing is a molehill turned into a mountain.

daddi, So if you refused the recall and sell it a few years later and then someone gets burned up in the car you sold, would you take the responsibility and pays for medical bills?

Really I can't see what the big deal is. I have had salt and road grime on my oil pan my whole life and I've never suffered for it. As far as MPG you might loose 1/50th of a MPG. Your engine might even run cooler.

I agree it's really a GM problem, not a dealer problem. The dealer just follows instructions from corporate. It's cheaper and quicker to cut out the original shield than to design and manufacture a new one.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Cruze recall mod job
It's a Sawzall job alright. Well, this one looks like someone took a hot knife to the shield.

Thanks for that. Judging by the jagged side pieces thats by far the largest shield I've ever seen (err..remnants of the largest shield I almost seen). Now it looks like any other car I've owned and worked on for 30 years.

What was Chevy thinking covering up the hot exhaust with plastic like that? Trapping all that heat. Exhaust pipe and resonator within inches of plastic? Bet at 80 the sheild is bent up touching it from wind force. Forget that. Good riddance. It can breath now. Only mistake I see was leaving the jagged sides. What are the jagged sides doing? Nuthin. Unscrew those, remove.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Cruze recall mod job

Thanks for that. Judging by the jagged side pieces thats by far the largest shield I've ever seen (err..remnants of the largest shield I almost seen). Now it looks like any other car I've owned and worked on for 30 years.

What was Chevy thinking covering up the hot exhaust with plastic like that? Trapping all that heat. Exhaust pipe and resonator within inches of plastic? Bet at 80 the sheild is bent up touching it from wind force. Forget that. Good riddance. It can breath now. Only mistake I see was leaving the jagged sides. What are the jagged sides doing? Nuthin. Unscrew those, remove.

Yup mine looks just like that....At least they could have dressed the plastic burrs off a little. I guess what I'm trying to find out is if the dealership was REQUIRED to do the recall. I guess if thats the case it doesn't really matter if I wanted it done or not(which I didn't)

Will it effect gas mileage? I guess time will tell.
Will it damage the low hanging oil pan with stones etc.?? We will have to see.

I guess I'm upset that this is my first new car in quite sometime. And on its first service it gets hacked on pretty good.

At least now when I drop my oil cap it will fall right through instead of like the last time having to be fished out of the back corner of the tray.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Here's what one article claims they were thinking: http://www.torquenews.com/1074/chevy-cruze-splash-shield-protects-engine-and-improves-mileage

-"comprehensive splash protector on an entry sedan that you typically wouldn't see except in high-end luxury vehicles,

-reduces wind drag, contributing to the Cruze’s good mileage

-protect the underbody of the car from corrosion

-for keeping water, salt and grit out of the engine compartment and the transmission. Sounds like a good idea, especially for a car that’s sold in places that have to deal with winter.

I have never owned a vehicle here in Michigan with a complete splash shield and didn't realize that a problem existed without one. I wonder if the aerodynamic improvement is legitimate."

Even if the dealer is permitted to do recall work technically since the car is the OWNERS property they should have taken a minute to inform him that the work would be done, they could have even called him after he dropped it off. NO EXCUSE for not informing the owner about what they are going to do to his property. I'd bet that less than 1% of owners would refuse this recall work so informing the customer is a non issue.

Cruze recall mod job

Wow if that is the quality of workmanship they are going to do I'd save thousands and buy a cheap entry level car, that never would have had this feature in the first place. I would be REALLY [censored] OFF!

The undercover on my Subaru and Mazda CX 7 are to improve aerodynamics, help to keep under-hood temp lower and keeps road stuff from damage. Some people and dealers were leaving them off until the factory was ask why it was there. Lazy dealers were just trashing them. I have no idea why GM with their "Profession Grade" wisdom has a problem with theirs.

I still get recall notices from GM about my 09 pontiac vibe for a floor mat interference that Toyota was blamed for unintended acceleration. the floor mats are hooked into the floor. One day I'll get it done.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I still get recall notices from GM about my 09 pontiac vibe for a floor mat interference that Toyota was blamed for unintended acceleration. the floor mats are hooked into the floor. One day I'll get it done.

And one day I'll get the cruse recall done on my '93 F-150...

Till then I just unplugged the cruse control switch that can catch fire...

I know on any Ford we service an OASIS report prints out that shows any open recalls. We have to perform them, actually in CA the DMW will not renew a registration until all recalls are closed. If an owner does not want a recall performed there are forms they have to sign releasing Ford of any liability and we call into Ford informing them of it. Also cars cannot be sold that have open recalls, if they are the fines are massive for the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back