New to me 2021 Chevy Traverse

OP, you may be able to keep it outta Auto start stop mode if you plug a trailer plug into it. Does it have a factory trailer light connector?

Also I just realized I tried to abbreviate auto start stop and that’s a bad word lol!

I’d go look at a new one in a heartbeat - but she’d turn it into an XT6 hunt in no time at all …
We went to look at the xt6 standard engine is the 2.0 turbo extremely under powered and a shorter wheelbase. To move up to the V6 the price was out of hand and third row really no room. We ended up with the Buick Enclave fully loaded useful third row with standard V6 and cheaper.

Reactions: JTK
Just thought of something, our friends have a 2023.

Is the reason for the large battery (94R like my 335i), because of the stop/start?

We have the 2011 Enclave and it has a H6/48. Forget the alternator rating but it's higher than a Suburban for 2011.

Since we are so used to the 115 cu ft of cargo, and there aren't many that have that today (I don't even think the regular Grand Wagoneer does), it's Tahoe next for us, baby! (hopefully)

Forget the current Traverse but it's < 115 cu ft

Agreed it's rare, but the final-gen Chev Monte Carlo was FWD and was available with a transverse V8. I did a double-take when I saw it.
Absolutely. Plenty of smaller Northstar/LSx powered FWD/transverse vehicles have been through the GM assembly lines.

LSx usually had a fair amount of room to maneuver around the bay. Norhstar… eh….

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Cadillac - almost everything
Buick Lucerne
Impala SS
Monte Carlo SS

Anyways a V8 in a Traverse, while not needed with the 3.6 ample performance, nor available, would not be “not-doable” by GM or unserviceable by a mechanic/DIY. Your prob had a fair amount of room.

Absolutely. Plenty of smaller Northstar/LSx powered FWD/transverse vehicles have been through the GM assembly lines.

LSx usually had a fair amount of room to maneuver around the bay. Norhstar… eh….

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Buick Lucerne
Impala SS
Monte Carlo SS

Anyways a V8 in a Traverse, while not needed with the 3.6 ample performance, nor available, would not be “not-doable” by GM or unserviceable by a mechanic/DIY. Your prob had a fair amount of room.
Did the FWD Eldorado and Tornado have transverse engines as well? I have a vague memory of them being longitudinal.

Did the FWD Eldorado and Tornado have transverse engines as well? I have a vague memory of them being longitudinal.
The 3rd to last gen Eldorado and the Toronado (except the last gen with the 3800) were FWD via a longitudinal engine but FWD transmission. Similar to the Chrysler LHS.

IIRC some early FWD Toyotas also had longitudinal engines.
That’s interesting. The design like that always fascinated me. Also, I always thought “a FWD trans must be so hindered in its durability to be that size/package and still have to do transmission duties”. It wasn’t until many many years ago I realized, after looking at cutaways and diagrams that the sizing/packaging isn’t all that outrageous — torque converter bolts to engine flex plate and then a chain connects to the transmission. Maybe some use gears… I do not know.

Anyways if Always interested me.

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Buick Lucerne
Impala SS
Monte Carlo SS

My olds Aurora had a Northstar V8 fwd

That’s interesting. The design like that always fascinated me. Also, I always thought “a FWD trans must be so hindered in its durability to be that size/package and still have to do transmission duties”. It wasn’t until many many years ago I realized, after looking at cutaways and diagrams that the sizing/packaging isn’t all that outrageous — torque converter bolts to engine flex plate and then a chain connects to the transmission. Maybe some use gears… I do not know.

Anyways if Always interested me.

Chains are more of a GM & Ford thing, GM/Hydramatic TH425 & 4T80E are the only true HD automatic transaxles that I can think of. The TH425 was used in GMC motorhomes & the 4T80E was used in many stretch limousines & hearse's.

The 4T80E was hamstrung with a small 60° bellhousing which didn't allow for a true HD sized torque converter, Used a 245mm diameter converter where a 4L80E uses a 310 diameter converter, 6L80E/6L90E/Late 4L60E use a 300mm unit thanks to the much larger 90° Chevy bellhousing.

LS4/4T65E-HD combination also used a wimpy 245mm converter that would get shredded with any sustained abuse.

My parents had those godawful 1980 Toronado diesels when I was a kid. Beautiful cars but after they became a couple of years old, they became nightmares. My dad unloaded his quickly. My mom, who would keep a car for years, held on to hers til 1991. It finally got stolen. I was so happy. The engines were in those things North/South.

Yup, nice SUV. Best of luck with the new Chevy. (y)
Keep'er maintained and she'll last forever.
I don't hate the start/stop system in vehicles.

While it’s not quite the same 3.6 of old, it’s still an underpowered engine for that leave beast. GM should had a v8 option with the ‘verse. Other than that, it’s a pretty good car!
A V8 would be going too far. I wish GM had kept producing the LT-based 4.3L V6. That engine would be a good fit in this vehicle. They could have bored it to ~4.6 liters and pumped the power up to about 350 hp.

Our friend just took us to the airport in the 2023 Traverse. It still swallowed our luggage…we had 4 50 lb bags, one carry on sized suitcase, and a few knapsacks. Our friend picking us up has an XTerra and I told my wife just to have a backup he may have to take one of us and a couple bags so that person can get our car…(we’re 13 miles from the airport—that was nice when I used to travel a lot at work)

Back