how often do you clean your interior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every other month since the car doesn't get that dirty.

I remove all the floor mats and vacuum the interior, sometimes I vacuum the trunk if it dirty. Then I just lay all the floor mats on the garage and vacuum them. The interior windows are cleaned then I wipe the plastic interior parts with a dust cloth. Sometimes I use protectant (303, Armor All) on the plastic stuff. On the floor mats or seats I just spot clean them if there is any visible stains. Probably should shampoo the interior since I have not done that since I had the car.

Ever notice that people who keep the exteriors of their cars immaculate often have filthy interiors?

Wonder if that's a reflection of the society we live in.

My only point is that many people spend a lot of time cleaning the exterior of their cars and not much on the interiors when it's the interior you spend your time in. Lots of friends cars are so filthy on the inside I feel like I'm in a biohazard area.

A couple times a year I'll wipe the interiors down and vacuum them out. We don't have kids, don't eat in the car, and the dogs ride in carriers so other than dust they just don't get dirty.

My wife washes her Subaru every month or two. The pickup only gets drive once or twice a year, and the last time I washed it was probably in March. My Elantra gets washed a couple times a year-it just doesn't seem to get all that dirty.

Not often enough apparently. Reminds me I should clean the Volvo and the Mustang. Hopefully the Mustang will have a lot more barren interior soon.

I keep a Swiffer in the glovebox. I dust it once a week, put 303 down once a month or so. Clean and condition the leather monthly.

I make sure both of our cars get a vac and wipe down each weekend. My car doesn't take much because I don't eat in it or make a huge mess. On the other hand the ladies car transports the dog and all sorts of stuff. She eats in it and leaves garbage in it haha. It has to be done each week, or it'll end up being a disaster. I rather keep up with it and not let it turn into a headache.

Then she'll sneak the dog in the front seat and hair will be all over the place haha. You just can't win.

I have 2 kids and wife.. it doesn't matter if I clean it daily or every month still looks the same. But I do try at least once a month to do a full clean and I pick up trash at least twice a week.

Exterior wash and interior clean every 10-15 days. More serious cleaning 2x per year.

Detailing cars as a side biz/hobby means having all the tools and chemicals I need to do the job, so I can't hide behind excuses.

Unlike the outside, the interior mostly doesn't get dirty unless you make it dirty. So I try to avoid eating in the car, tracking in dirt, etc.

Every time I wash (every 2-3 weeks) I shake out the floor mats and dust all of the surfaces with a slightly damp cloth. Every 6 months or so I remove the floor mats and vacuum up everything around them. Stuff looks pretty much like new even after almost 10 years, aside from a bit of wear in the seat fabrics and such.

The inside of a coworker car is like a trash can, magazines, news papers, food wrappers, empty soda cans ... on over the rear and front seat and floor. I refuse to ride with him in his car after seeing the inside of his Camry.

I'm starting to head towards vaccuming the car once/month, assuming I have time and remember to do so. It's nice having a clean interior. That said, I don't want to waste the time doing an uber cleaning once/month; it's not like I could recoup that on a resale or something. It's not as if I "enjoy" car cleaning.

I tend to wash my car once/year. That I ought to do more often. But I don't think it would have fixed the rust issues, so again, not much lost. [Rock chips, accident damage, and some improperly done paint.]

If it was new(er), or more expensive, I'd care more. I did when it was new. But now? Not so much. I rarely spend much time looking at the car; I spend a fair amount looking at the dash or out the windshield (2hr/day on average).

I wipe the interior of all our cars at least once every two weeks. I prefer once a week. I can't deal with dust on things and I typically drive with the windows down when possible.

I vacuum everything every couple weeks typically.

The leather I clean and use some kind of conditioner about every 6-9 months. I don't know if the conditioner does anything on the newer leather but hopefully it doesn't hurt. I don't even know how much of the 'leather' is actually leather.

The only thing I rarely touch is the headliner, for fear of damaging it. I typically will clean the headliners every couple years and am always surprised how dirty they are.

Up until recently this has served me well in keeping cars like new for many years. My curent cars are not holding up quite so well. There is something to be said for not touching anything.

Last edited:
My truck I have towels on the floor and seat covers. I drive it MAYBE 1500 miles every 18 months. It is so clean, surgery can be performed inside. Outside Same gets detailed with a toothbrush when I back it out of the barn, I spend 4 whole days cleaning it bumper to bumper inside and out.

My car, I have seat covers and towels over my carpeted floor mats. I take ANY trash out every day, I use Megs on ALL interior plastic. People tell me the inside of my vehicles are like clean rooms. I'm MAJOR OCD about them. Afterall, I paid for them with my money so why not.

I clean my car when I go to sell it.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back