Last time/how often do you open your hood?

Every fill-up. Just to check on things .
I have not seen anyone open their hood while getting fuel for the last 15-20 years and I am on the road often taking trips from Miami-NYC..That includes New Jersey where pumping your own fuel is illegal and 99% of the customers at those stations never even get out of their vehicle.
I generally open the hood about every 4-5K miles to check fluids and clean off dirt in the engine area with a damp bounty towel.

In fact when I ask friends [who have late model vehicles and older vehicles] what grade of oil they are using they give me the baffled look as they have no clue.

I have not seen anyone open their hood while getting fuel for the last 15-20 years and I am on the road often taking trips from Miami-NYC..That includes New Jersey where pumping your own fuel is illegal and 99% of the customers at those stations never even get out of their vehicle.
I generally open the hood about every 4-5K miles to check fluids and clean off dirt in the engine area with a damp bounty towel.

In fact when I ask friends [who have late model vehicles and older vehicles] what grade of oil they are using they give me the baffled look as they have no clue.
As my current vehicle is about 6 months old, I have taken to checking oil levels (and a visual check of fluid reservoirs) around halfway through each OCI (2.5-3K miles on the oil). Otherwise, I don't worry about it. (Yay factory warranties!)

Before I got rid of the Sorento, I did the same, though it was a bit more frequent when the weather was nice, of course at the end that vehicle was at around 145K miles and 8 years of service. Though due to keeping up with recommended maintenance it didn't leak anything. I'm still bummed my life circumstances forced me to get rid of it, for whatever fault Hyundai/Kia has with their smaller/newer engines, the 3.5L V6 was **** near bulletproof for me (or maybe I got a good example of one), and I did not take it easy on mine.

Every time I wash the car, to wipe down under the hood edges and give the engine cover a wipe down. My wife's SRX likes to consume oil, so I'll check the dipstick when I do hers.

Occasionally but not as often as I should. Here is a good example of why I need to do it more often.

The other day I find a dead kitten under the back end of my Mustang. I'm like, I hope one of the cats didn't have kittens that are under the hood since we have had that problem in some of our other vehicles.

I open the hood and find cat hair and foot prints everywhere and then see that the wires that go to both of the VCT valve solenoids on the passenger side are chewed off. To say I was pissed was an understatement. No cats to be seen anywhere under the hood but did find cat crap down on the subframe under this area.

I've ordered a new wiring harness and hopefully it's not a big hassle changing it out.

For both F150s, once a month. For my newest addition (08 P71 Crown Vic) once a week until I figure out whether it uses or leaks any fluids.

One thing I can guarantee: when I pop the hood on any vehicle, the entire neighborhood decides to drive by. Danged looky-loos.

To be honest about every oci which was 7k but now 10k. My engine burns a tiny bit but I overfill by a quart and the low oil warning never turned on. I check the stick before the change and it's on the low but it's been like that so I'm not afraid. I also check everything else like the coolant and refill my washer fluid. I seldom pop the hood outside of oil changes.

Every week on all the daily cars and every time I drive the old ones. Of course I have to open the older cars to connect the battery and shoot some starter fluid down the carbs.

I pop the hood on all three vehicles every weekend. It doesn't take long to check fluid levels and top off windshield wiper fluid.

My truck requires a quart of oil every 125-150 miles, so it gets the hood opened a lot. The Subaru rarely gets its oil checked; it doesn't burn and will light the dash if the oil gets low. The Nissan does usually every time it is driven .... once a month. Because it sits.

Every Couple weeks. Check oil level and get the pine needles and twigs out from around the
cowl area and check for rodent nests. They love the "valley" on the subarus - or maybe I should call it "flatlands"

Every couple of weeks for the cars. I check all check-able things. I use a flashlight for those semi-translucent reservoirs.
So far the Mazda 5 is consuming a teensy bit of oil between changes.
I did a siphon/refill/follow up level check of the trans on the Mazda 6 two weeks ago.
The lawn tractor is checked every time. The old Onan is a bit of a drinker.

I check my Jeep and Escape every week even though they are always good. At work I check 3 forklifts a 26' Flatbed and an F150 every work day.
I also will pop the hood on any other company vehicle that rolls into the yard. I found another groups F150 4qts low once. I don't do the maintenance on that one.

The hood latch is frayed and about to break on the Focus, think that answers that question. The RV was opened yesterday has a new squeak from somewhere, usually the same as the Escape/Festiva/Dakota which is every month or so.

Almost daily on both of my VWs. Other cars in the fleet, at least once/mos.

Back