Best Inline-6 ever made?

I remember when Volvo of America hot rodded a Turbo D24. They cranked the boost up to 25 psi and were pulling 205 hp out of it. They were running it in a 740, that hit 140 mph on the DC beltway. Actually got clocked in it, the cop realizing it was a Volvo diesel let them off. He thought his gun was wrong because there was no way a Volvo let alone a Diesel was that fast. There was a story on it in R&T or Motor Trend at the time.

Everything you said, and leaks are not an issue as long as you change in time that leak from OFHG or VC bcs. belt sucked into engine is game over in 99% of cases.
But, overall M20 and 30 were really, really stout engines. I had E34 520i with M50, mades some 485,000 km, sold it to a guy who drove it next 5 years and than lost trace once I move to the US.
yes the older ones where also good, but the n52 had much better midrange due to the disa, more top end power and higher redline.

The VVT where also much more reliable than the old vanos.

Magnesium. And thank god, those iron blocks are heavy as ****. The N52 is a much better engine. Probably the best engine BMW has made, if you rank reliability highly.
Agree to disagree there. I still think the M30 and M10 variants are about as rock-solid dependable as they've ever made.

And certainly the M54 is better than the N52.

Agree to disagree there. I still think the M30 and M10 variants are about as rock-solid dependable as they've ever made.

And certainly the M54 is better than the N52.
Will disagree with that. The N52 is a tank of a motor, very stout. Also makes significantly more power, and thanks to valvetronic, is significantly cleaner and better FE. Everything a motor is supposed to do, it does it better. Plus, I hate working on those old MXX motors. LOL

Ford 200 cubic inch six is among my favorites, and far from a "Wrong Answer". It's simple, light and enjoyable in an old Mustang.

460541-1000-0.jpg

Jeep 4.0L except the 00'-01' years where they cracked heads and lost piston skirts.

Took mine out today off-roading.

View attachment 35259
Agreed. I can’t find anyone else who knew that 2000 and especially 2001 were bad for those. Our 2001 has been sitting since 2014 after we replaced the head and head gasket and it still wasn’t fixed so something is wrong somewhere no mechanic could figure it out either it over heats after cutting off so when we get some more money we are going to get a new engine.

Agreed. I can’t find anyone else who knew that 2000 and especially 2001 were bad for those. Our 2001 has been sitting since 2014 after we replaced the head and head gasket and it still wasn’t fixed so something is wrong somewhere no mechanic could figure it out either it over heats after cutting off so when we get some more money we are going to get a new engine.
They have really sensitive cooling systems. Everything needs to be replaced. All heater and radiator hoses, water pump, thermostat, fan clutch (getting a good one can be tough), make sure it has the fan shroud for the mechanical fan, make sure the electric fan is coming on at the right time (or at all), and that the radiator is in good shape. A lot of times the radiator gets plugged up and can’t cool effectively. They’re also prone to air bubbles. All of this has to work together, if one thing is slightly off they’ll run hot.

The cooling system was designed for a tiny 2.5L 4 cylinder. Then Jeep/AMC decided to toss in a bigger 6 cylinder without upgrading the cooling system.

Replace every part especially after sitting any real period of time. I’d make sure all this is up to par before replacing the engine.

yes the older ones where also good, but the n52 had much better midrange due to the disa, more top end power and higher redline.

The VVT where also much more reliable than the old vanos.
Mine does not have 3 stage manifold, but mid range is really, really good for such engine.
Of course, 3 stage intake is in works :)

Back